✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    "Gypsy sittin' lookin' pretty"

Bringing On The Heartbreak.
  • Options
    pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them, there last few albums havnt been so great, adrenalize for me is their best album although i think im the only fan who doesnt rate hysteria first. Heaven is is probably my favourite single of theirs.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to be a fan, upto about 1999-2000. Since then they havent been bothered to make new music or promote new music and just rely on greatest hits. They were once one of the biggest bands in the world, up there with U2 - they are now playing double headers with Poison. Sad really. Band died when Steve Clark died.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    Used to be a fan, upto about 1999-2000. Since then they havent been bothered to make new music or promote new music and just rely on greatest hits. They were once one of the biggest bands in the world, up there with U2 - they are now playing double headers with Poison. Sad really. Band died when Steve Clark died.

What about the albums X and Songs from the Sparkle Lounge? 2002 and 2008 respectively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the albums X and Songs from the Sparkle Lounge? 2002 and 2008 respectively.

In the last 12 years they have made 2 studio albums (original music). Thats what i mean by they arent bothered with new music anymore. Whenever they tour they play the same setlist every tour (the Pyro/Hysteria setlist), mostly from Steve Clark era. They seem to have forgotten what new music is.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya they rely on the old catalogue and never play much of the stuff from newer albums. Its a shame they are so forgotten as Bon Jovi for example can sell have hit album that sell quiet well, where as Def Leppards last 2-3 studio albums have sold about 50,000 each in the UK.
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Used to like them in their early days, but Joe 'who ate all the pies' Elliot is so far up his own backside these days that I avoid anything by them like the plague now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Joe a few years back in Dublin and have to say he was very down to earth and friendly but the days of them having hit singles and album appear to be over although they still do well concert wise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Joe Elliot is a class act.

Def Leppard were one of the biggest bands in the world (1983-1992).. what ended their dominance was grunge. Bought the greatest hits (Vault) in 1995 which contains my personal favourite song of theirs; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzKc6FGByR4& .. their output between the early eighties to the mid 90s was quality.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loved their early stuff , did not like the grungy stuff tho it just sounded like they were trying too hard .

They should of left the Grunge to proper Grunge bands
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt Hysteria one of the biggest selling album by a rock band?
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pippa2012 wrote: »
    Isnt Hysteria one of the biggest selling album by a rock band?

18 million so far, they are 1 of only 5 groups to have 2 back too back albums sell over 5 million records, pyromania and hysteria.
    (both given diamond awards).

The tinterwb advises somewhere in the region of 65 million records sold worldwide.

Don't see many of todays so called "musicians" matching those sort of figures.

Seen them about 7 times since the early days some good some bad some amazing, mainly in the round and at Sheffield Stadium outdoors.

Still worth the entrance fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Question! What band churning out albums at an impressive rate in the 70s/80s are doing the same today? I can't think of one and yet I still love to see them touring.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Yes.
    My favourite album is High N Dry.
    Let It Go and the title track are my favourites.
    I've been lucky to see them many times. At one gig, they actually opened with 'Let It Go'. Hearing that was worth the entrance fee alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This will be unpopular but I thought Sparkle Lounge was a really good album.
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sparkle lounge isnt a bad album, its just it is not as good as some of their others. I think X is also a good album but again not as good as hysterial, adrenalize etc. That said, i didnt like the Yeah album at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    18 million so far, they are 1 of only 5 groups to have 2 back too back albums sell over 5 million records, pyromania and hysteria.
    (both given diamond awards).

The tinterwb advises somewhere in the region of 65 million records sold worldwide.

Don't see many of todays so called "musicians" matching those sort of figures.

Seen them about 7 times since the early days some good some bad some amazing, mainly in the round and at Sheffield Stadium outdoors.

Still worth the entrance fee.

Well the music industry has changed so much from back in the 90's so you cant really compare sales of albums today and back then but they were damn good albums and deserved to sell s**tloads.

Not been to see them myself since 1999 and my biggest gripe is them not playing anything (or hardly anything) from their albums 1996 onwards. Its like they just rely too heavily on Pyromania and Hysteria and cant move on and play new music. They have become a nostalgia act IMO which is sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya they have definitely become a nostalgia act unfortunately, out of interest does anyone know how their last 2-3 studio albums performed in America?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the music industry has changed so much from back in the 90's so you cant really compare sales of albums today and back then but they were damn good albums and deserved to sell s**tloads.

Not been to see them myself since 1999 and my biggest gripe is them not playing anything (or hardly anything) from their albums 1996 onwards. Its like they just rely too heavily on Pyromania and Hysteria and cant move on and play new music. They have become a nostalgia act IMO which is sad.

The problem is, these days, they have to play what the crowd want to hear so, to keep the attendances up, they play those songs.

I loved their early stuff, right up to Hysteria then lost interest to be honest. As for seeing them live, i saw them live twice in the early and mid-80s and thought they were dire both times so never bothered seeing them again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is, these days, they have to play what the crowd want to hear so, to keep the attendances up, they play those songs.

I loved their early stuff, right up to Hysteria then lost interest to be honest. As for seeing them live, i saw them live twice in the early and mid-80s and thought they were dire both times so never bothered seeing them again.

If all you do when you tour is play Pyro & Hysteria hits then thats the sort of crowd your going to get to your gigs all the time and you become nostalgia. Its there own doing, not the crowd dictating what they should play. There is nothing stopping them throwing in 3-4 cuts from albums after Adrenalize, throw in 1-2 new songs but they wont do it. If the crowd arnt clapping like seals apparently it gets dropped from the setlist.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all you do when you tour is play Pyro & Hysteria hits then thats the sort of crowd your going to get to your gigs all the time and you become nostalgia. Its there own doing, not the crowd dictating what they should play. There is nothing stopping them throwing in 3-4 cuts from albums after Adrenalize, throw in 1-2 new songs but they wont do it. If the crowd arnt clapping like seals apparently it gets dropped from the setlist.

I agree but then in that respect they are little different to most bands whose "peak" was 20 or 30 years ago.

There's a massive audience for nostalgia these days so it is easy money for them. it isn't the sort of thing that would interest me but there are many people out there who lap it up.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them, not so much the early stuff, but Pyro/Hysteria/Adrenalize I love.

I also liked the cover album they did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great British rock band, like a lot of their stuff, also enjoyed the CMT crossover they did with Taylor Swift.