Options

Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now my question is will the 14 day guide still work after TUTV closedown? Or is this part and parcel of their service or will it keep working but only show 8 days rather than 14?

It forms part of a download from a data stream linked to Anytime 1. As Anytime 1 won't be around, the data stream and the 14 day guide will, most likely, end too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thansk for the response jj20x.

I assumed that might be the case, DAMN!

I find the 8 day guide a pain as it tends to cut the end off some programmes and you can't adjust it like the 14 day version.

I suppose I will have to use the manual timer if the 14 day goes for a burton to ensure I don't miss anything.

I had hoped that it might not be the case and just keep working but with only 8 days listed instead of 14 but I thought to myself it came via a different stream than the freeview based 8 day version. Ah well should still work for a couple of weeks with a bit of luck to so I can put off the messing around until then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well here we are after 9 years the last day of TUTV.:cry:

To be fair when the service was running well round about 2010 the content was really good and the viewing hours for GOLD quite handy.

Considering the doom and gloom mob said it woulf never last as linear and then download based programmes the servcice did do very well to last as long as it did.

It reinvented itself twice and managed to weather several changes but with the loss of BT sports that was the end and we all knew it. But it was very handy when it was there and if the data about my viewing card is correct I will still be able to view the saved downloads from TUTV until mid December so I will be able to catch up with the programmes I haven't seen yet.

You may mock but for a time Top Up was very good and I liked it. It was plug and play and did more or less what it said on the box no messing about with dishes, cable or internet. Which is very handy if you not tech savvy and don't want to have to mess around.

And at least Drama on freeview seems to be mixing it's drama content with comedy so that's okay as well.:)
  • Options
    es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Doubt they will be issuing a firmware update to clear the boxes of any topup tv stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but you never know they may when the downloads run out of time in the download section but you may be right.

I have given up taking anything for granted regarding topup tv.

Anyway it was a good run while it lasted as I said before and freeview isn't so bad and I will be saving a little money each month from now on so thats a small plus as well. And I still can't see the point of getting 'proper' pay tv relative to what we watch on freeview available channels compared to what we might watch on pay tv channels so I just hope freeview carries on to improve a little here and there.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair when the service was running well round about 2010 the content was really good and the viewing hours for GOLD quite handy.

Considering the doom and gloom mob said it woulf never last as linear and then download based programmes the servcice did do very well to last as long as it did.

It reinvented itself twice and managed to weather several changes but with the loss of BT sports that was the end and we all knew it. But it was very handy when it was there and if the data about my viewing card is correct I will still be able to view the saved downloads from TUTV until mid December so I will be able to catch up with the programmes I haven't seen yet.

You may mock but for a time Top Up was very good and I liked it. It was plug and play and did more or less what it said on the box no messing about with dishes, cable or internet. Which is very handy if you not tech savvy and don't want to have to mess around.

And at least Drama on freeview seems to be mixing it's drama content with comedy so that's okay as well.:)

They probably made a loss every year so its suprising it lasted as long as it did!

Gold is available on Now TV with 9 other channels for £4.99 per month.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably made a loss every year so its suprising it lasted as long as it did!

Gold is available on Now TV with 9 other channels for £4.99 per month.

I just seen this Now TV. Seems great value for £4.99 is just delivered via the Internet?

Nobody wil miss TUTV there's alternatives these days.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOW TV does have some programming restrictions - some channels do not have the rights to show content over the internet, so these will be blanked out.

On the satellite forum, they are saying the £4.99 is only a short term offer. Will be interesting to see how this or the final price compares with VuTV.
  • Options
    Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Back to TUTV, on LCN 304 through to LCN 307, the EPG table displays No Information Available scheduled until midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning.

After that, Channel No Longer Available on each channel. This has not taken place on LCN 26 or 54 with programmes scheduled on Friday morning and the following week.

Top Up TV MHEG still describes the change on 8th July for the launch of Drama on LCN 20.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Friday regarding the UKTV slots of GOLD and Home.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with your comments and it outlasted the combined years of BSB, Tiscali TV and OnDigital/ITV Digital.

One slight correction to your statement "with the loss of BT Sports" I think you meant "with the loss of Sky Sports and ESPN" as TopUp TV never had BT Sport.

It's a shame BT can't offer its channels through the TopUp equipment especially as it seems to own channels 57-59 inclusive but that's life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right. It was Sky sports not BT.

They where trying to make a deal with BT before they got the 'computer says no' response.

I suppose it would be too much to hope for that UKTV took over the slot for Gold and ran a reduced few hours per day on freeview to keep the slot for any further expansion of their service on freeview. GOLD always get seen on alot of threads as the service that should be freeview due to the volume of repeats etc. but I suppose there is more chance of me winning a limbo contest than that happening.
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    The forum naysayers could never grasp the appeal of the no contract format of TUTV. Ironic now that Sky have started flogging their premium channels via Now TV for a fiver using the same concept! :D In this respect TUTV was ahead of its time. I didn't expect IPTV to take off so quickly as it turns out I doubt TUTV would have had the muscle to take on Now TV, Netflix etc. The inability to acquire BT Sport appears irrelevant now.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things with the NOW TV thing

* Introductory price of £4.99 per month if joining by 31st March 2014.

* Also there are many progs that are NOT available e.g Simpsons
    http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-news-and-information/Unavailable-shows-on-live-entertainment-channels/m-p/139292

25+ Programmes today that are NOT available via Now TV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    All the downloads have been disabled! Including the ones that must have downloaded today.

Really annoying as I had plenty of saved things still to watch:mad::(
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    kai666 wrote: »
    All the downloads have been disabled! Including the ones that must have downloaded today.

Really annoying as I had plenty of saved things still to watch:mad::(

The downloads on your box?
    Oh wow...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    The downloads on your box?
    Oh wow...

yeah, black screen with 'insufficient subscription' written in big white letters
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would appear that TUTV services timeshare with BT Sport Preview and the download capacity shares with 5USA, 5* and Channel 5 +1.

Gold and Home are sharing with Marketplace and channel 57.

I just wonder do I therefore assume that after 1 November, Channel 57 will go 1400-0700 with Marketplace expanding by 2 hours, and 5* expanding to all hours except when TVX is on, 5USA going 24 hours and Channel 5 +1 going 24 hours.

Or is something else happening once TUTV is out of the way or have I missed something?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We'll have to see what happens on Friday as Marketplace, Gold and Home are provided from TUTV too, but otherwise the Channel 5 sister channels broadcasting hours are to be as you say, jimbo.

Also 5Later is due to launch somewhere on a stream on SDN; and how it will configure with BT Sport Preview, will all be revealed in the coming days, weeks. No change to the schedules on any other channels as described on the EPG except for LCN 304 through to 307 as I explained on post #485. However, with the mistakes on itv3+1 schedule, the EPG descriptions from SDN multiplex are to be better. A lot of "No Information Available" rather than "Close".
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    It would appear that TUTV services timeshare with BT Sport Preview and the download capacity shares with 5USA, 5* and Channel 5 +1.

Gold and Home are sharing with Marketplace and channel 57.

I just wonder do I therefore assume that after 1 November, Channel 57 will go 1400-0700 with Marketplace expanding by 2 hours, and 5* expanding to all hours except when TVX is on, 5USA going 24 hours and Channel 5 +1 going 24 hours.

Or is something else happening once TUTV is out of the way or have I missed something?

Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure Marketplace is owned by TUTV so I would assume that will be gone soon as well.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    kai666 wrote: »
    yeah, black screen with 'insufficient subscription' written in big white letters

Cheeky bleeders...
    Nice way to end things huh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd last night when I checked everything downloaded prior to yesterday was still there and accessable and I think they still are today, I hope.

If you used the PVR to record things directly from GOLD then the screen will come up 'insufficent subscription' as it did with some things I recorded but as I understand it your saved downloads should be accessable until your card expires. Unless they got it wrong again.

I will have to double check when I get home got a couple of films of the week I haven't watched yet plus a couple from Picture Box.

If things have gone that really isn't fair at all not after all the money everyone has paid over.
  • Options
    DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that LCN's 26 (GOLD) and 54 (Home) are no longer showing the TopUp TV MHEG's that they show when they are off air. They are now showing a black screen, however it looks like all the Anytime channels are still showing it. You'd think they would put one up on all of them to say they have closed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Odd last night when I checked everything downloaded prior to yesterday was still there and accessable and I think they still are today, I hope.

If you used the PVR to record things directly from GOLD then the screen will come up 'insufficent subscription' as it did with some things I recorded but as I understand it your saved downloads should be accessable until your card expires. Unless they got it wrong again.

I will have to double check when I get home got a couple of films of the week I haven't watched yet plus a couple from Picture Box.

If things have gone that really isn't fair at all not after all the money everyone has paid over.

All downloads and programmes that you have saved from the downloads have been blanked out plus box is saying 0% free space. This is the same when they pulled the plug on Sky sports and ESPN I had recorded a large number of football matches only for them to be automatically deleted when the channels disappeared :mad:. They are taking the p**s we have paid for these downloads they should be refunding us some money.......but I am not going to hold my breath on that one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As of 09:35 this morning, GOLD, Home and Top Up TV Anytime 1, 3, 5 and 6 have been removed. My LG TV alerted a change to request for a retune, and after an auto retune these services have been removed. They have not been moved to LCN 791+, so a removal from the NIT listing?

Marketplace still running; it'll be interesting if BT Sport Preview starts at 11:00 this morning.

Source: Direct Observation - Crystal Palace Tx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That really isn't right blanking out the programmes we still have.

Surely they should have said in their letter that after 30/10/2013 not only would there be no more downloads but by 31/10/2013 all content saved on your PVR would no longer be accessable.

I agree with keith1967 that we paid for these items so are entitled to be able to watch them or be warned if the content will unaccessable.

Someone told me that the content should still be accessable for at least one week after it downloaded or until your card expires seems that they where told a right fairly tale. DAMN!

I checked this morning at about 6:30 am and everything was still there and accessable so will have to see what's there tonight. I am very unhappy if the last few programmes aren't there. I only had a couple of films and about four programmes from GOLD plus a couple of things from Pick of the Week to watch which I had planned to clear between now and the weekend. Surely the rules of when you cancel should apply here you had to the end of the month (or four weeks you had paid for) to watch then you lost access.

I think with the sports content once the stream was pulled the encryption went with it but this is totally rubbish.