Clive Dunn

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I think Pike, the Warden, the Vicar and Mrs Fox are thankfully still with us.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no! That's very sad. :( He seemed a very nice, friendly chap. I really liked him in Dad's Army as the Butcher. He had some of the funniest lines in the show. I think his character was called Jones, if I'm correct.

I have got the box set of Dad's Army and it gets watched a lot. I've also got the movie, too.

Shall have to watch some Dad's Army as a tribute.

No doubt BBC2 will do a tribute to the bloke just before they show an episode one Saturday evening soon.

R.I.P. Clive! I shall miss you loads. :cry: You made me laugh a lot as Jones. You're up there now with Arthur Lowe, not to mention John Le Mesieurer and so on.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Clive, a real comedy legend.

"They don't like it up 'em!"
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    Grandad was a great series,watched it as a kid
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    "Permission to die sir"

"Permission granted, Corporal Jones"

"Thank you sir. Can I give you this?"

"What is it Jones"

"It's a big spike"

"Thank you Jones. Is it anything to do with your request to die?"

"Yes Captain Mainwaring. I found it in my backside... and..."

"Well, Jones?"

"I didn't like it up me, sir"

R.I.P. CORPORAL JONES 1840 - 2012

Thanks for everything, Clive. God bless you

Lol hilarious! :D

Ah, sad news though. Me and my family love Dads Army.
  • Mr McGoldrickMr McGoldrick Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jones never liked that verger. RIP Clive.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching Grandad when I was a kid and over the last few years started to get into Dad's Army. Clive Dunn will be sadly missed by his fans.

My sadness goes to his family and friends. R.I.P. Clive.
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Wow! As horrible as this sounds, I thought he died years ago. I used to watch Grandad. Yes, that's a sad loss.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to Do that sir- ithink it was one of his Catchphases to Capt Marnwaring RIP Clive dunn,
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    92, grand old age.

Listening to the news on R4 they had a little tribute segment from the past where CD was talking about the phrase "They don't like it up 'em"

If I heard it right, the beeb were a bit worried about it being offensive, but CD was adamant that it was just the sort of thing old war dogs would say.

When he switched to his Corporal Jones voice to illustrate, I had to smile, and I'm not really a fan of Dads Army.

May only be a sentence/catch phrase, but it still brings a smile to people, and that's quite a legacy to leave:)

RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I'm 'only' 24, but my Dad brought me up to like the older comedy shows like Dad's Army, Last of the Summer Wine and Open All Hours to name just a few.

A sad day, big part of my childhood. RIP.

No need to worry about those fuzzy-wuzzies anymore.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember listening to I Play The Spoons when i was a kid. Innocent times. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Ian Lavender still with us at 66yo.
    (noticed already mentioned)

We are getting much older if Pike is 66. Jones played a much older person and Pike a much younger one. If the comedy vicar is still with us , how old is he ?

Don't tell him Pike :D
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    We are getting much older if Pike is 66. Jones played a much older person and Pike a much younger one. If the comedy vicar is still with us , how old is he ?

Don't tell him Pike :D
    Frank Williams who played the vicar turned 81 in July
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    Frank Williams who played the vicar turned 81 in July

Frank Williams is on the radio at the moment, sounds just the same. A real Luvvy , and he's mentioned Private Godfrey, they got £68 an episode, but he is still getting repeat fees:D
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones in 1993

Another of the classic comedy actors from the Golden Age of 60's/70's comedy has gone.

He did manage to live a full life reaching an impressive 92 years of age. - outliving his fellow Platoon members (bar Ian Lavenders Private Pike) by 28 years. Arthur Lowe passed away in 1982, John Le Mesurier in 1983, John Laurie in 1980, Arnold Ridley in 1984 and James Beck in 1973..

RIP Clive
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones in 1993

Another of the classic comedy actors from the Golden Age of 60's/70's comedy has gone.

He did manage to live a full life reaching an impressive 92 years of age. - outliving his fellow Platoon members (bar Ian Lavenders Private Pike) by 28 years. Arthur Lowe passed away in 1982, John Le Mesurier in 1983, John Laurie in 1980, Arnold Ridley in 1984 and James Beck in 1973..

RIP Clive
    also Edward Sinclair(the Verger)passed in 1977
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THEY might well be a dad's army in heaven. all the dead cast members doing rehearsals as god is their mentor.
  • moonvisagemoonvisage Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    R.I.P Clive Dunn