Petrol in Diesel in an i30

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be sure and drain the tank and fill it with the correct fuel. I know many people who have done it easy to do but best solution is drain the tank.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I put petrol in my diesel car and didn't realised until it stopped. Phoned RAC and they told me they didn't cover it but told me to call Wrong Fuel UK, which i did.

Guy turned up an hour or so later with a van with "WRONG FUEL UK" in massive letters down the side. It may as well have said "and here is an idiot ".

Anyway they drained the tank, gave me a small diesel top up, charged me £90 cash, and sent me on my way.
    :D:D:D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is lighter, petrol or diesel? (Ok, less dense, if you insist).

If it's petrol, wouldn't it all rise to the top over a couple of hours? Meaning the OP could siphon it off till he hit diesel, then top the tank up with diesel.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b5xhPAundL4

If it's an old car i think i would just bung some 2 stroke oil or syphon a couple of gallon out then top up with diesel again.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband did this and although it was driveable, the next day it was a bit dodgy. Quick trip to the garage, clean out and a fill up and it was fine. Better safe than sorry!
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Which is lighter, petrol or diesel? (Ok, less dense, if you insist).

If it's petrol, wouldn't it all rise to the top over a couple of hours? Meaning the OP could siphon it off till he hit diesel, then top the tank up with diesel.

Petrol and diesel mix so that won't happen.
    The same way alcohol and beer mix. You don't end up with a layer of alcohol and a layer of beer if you leave a pint standing around for a few hours.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband did this and although it was driveable, the next day it was a bit dodgy. Quick trip to the garage, clean out and a fill up and it was fine. Better safe than sorry!

The garages must love people like your husband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »

I must admit to taking great pleasure in the fact it was him that did it and not me! So did the lady at the garage when she phoned him to tell him the car was ready lol
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    These statements are contradictory; £22 = more than 3 and a half gallons.

So which is it? Unless you can be more specific about the quantity of petrol involved, no-one on this forum (or the AA/RAC for that matter) can give you proper advice.

Got my multiplication all of a twist, it was £22 not Gallons !
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same way alcohol and beer mix. You don't end up with a layer of alcohol and a layer of beer if you leave a pint standing around for a few hours.
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info, have taken the safe (I hope) option, it was driven for about 4 miles or so, but in the end called the RAC, they contacted a servce that does draining, they called last night, but we agreed on about 0800/0830 this morning, but calling them at about 0815 to check, to find out that the RAC had overloaded them last night, and now have no driver's until about 10am today !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it seems over 150,000 per year or one very 3.5 mins !:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit to taking great pleasure in the fact it was him that did it and not me! So did the lady at the garage when she phoned him to tell him the car was ready lol

And how much did they charge can I ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how much did they charge can I ask?

They charged £40 (this was about a year ago) plus £40 petrol that I asked them to stick in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They charged £40 (this was about a year ago) plus £40 petrol that I asked them to stick in.

Thats not too expensive to be honest, although I would have just been inclined to do it myself with a piece of hose.

I have a phobia about giving garages money.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not too expensive to be honest, although I would have just been inclined to do it myself with a piece of hose.

I have a phobia about giving garages money.:o

We live in a flat and have no way of using a hose in our garage so no way of DIYing it. The garage we use is great though and had the car back to us in a couple of hours :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    current charges £195 upwards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »

I'm in the wrong job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a rip off! I like my mechanic even more now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was via the RAC, my local dealer for Hyundai was £220 + !
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

biggest problem seems to be getting rid of the waste fuel.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, that hadn't occurred to me. Strangely, I'm familiar with the word "miscible" but had never thought about what it meant - I've now looked it up, and it's as you said.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I would just get some hose and drain off most of the tank myself and then fill it back up with diesel.

NO way on this earth would I pay someone to do what I could do myself.

Aren't cars fitted with anti syphoning tanks theses days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All now sorted, £193 to drain and flush, and £60 to refill with 100% diesel !

no damage to seals or pump :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All now sorted, £193 to drain and flush, and £60 to refill with 100% diesel !

no damage to seals or pump :)

That's good news. Have you postponed your trip?