Music fan cliches

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
"Rock? That's just a bunch of hairy, sweaty, angry men jumping up and down and shouting"

"Rap? That's just some guy talking over a drum beat"

"F**k Bieber, Gaga, and Cyrus, [insert band here] is real music"

"I'm 13 and prefer my dad's music collection"

"I was born in the wrong decade"

"Today's music is all rubbish, it was much better in [insert decade here]"

I wish these cliches and the people who use them would just die.

Comments

• thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I listen to all types of music'

Really, so that includes industrial death metal, polynesiun nose flute music, traditional inuit music etc

It's really just a way of trying to make yourself sound better than other people
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Music snob'

A term generally used as an insult to someone who takes pleasure investing time into finding new music to listen too.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really, so that includes industrial death metal, polynesiun nose flute music, traditional inuit music etc

It's really just a way of trying to make yourself sound better than other people

Even if I don't like it I will give it a go and listen to whatever :p.

''Pop music isn't real music''. I know Katy Perry is no Kate Bush but it is much harder to write a good pop song than most think. It doesn't have to be akin to Shakespeare to be good.

And my most hated ''if it sells well i.e Adele it has to be bland, insipid and lacking emotion or imagination''. It's as though as soon as someone goes mainstream or does well they are no longer credible it irks me no end.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to all types of music'

Yes, I would say that's a pretty common one.

Along side the now immortal, 'there's all this great music outside the charts', if people would just listen!'
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    "Rock? That's just a bunch of hairy, sweaty, angry men jumping up and down and shouting"

"Rap? That's just some guy talking over a drum beat"

"F**k Bieber, Gaga, and Cyrus, [insert band here] is real music"

"I'm 13 and prefer my dad's music collection"

"I was born in the wrong decade"

"Today's music is all rubbish, it was much better in [insert decade here]"

I wish these cliches and the people who use them would just die.

They all make sense, except the top one. The hairy, sweaty guys listen to metal now. Hipsters invaded rock and turned them all into a bunch of pansies who do Adele cover songs on acoustic guitar and audition for the voice or Britains got talent and it's edgy because it's rock, but it's fine because it's a pop song, so all the girls go 'aww' and love the guys floppy hair :p

The hairy sweaty guys who listen to metal are oddly less angry than the guys who listen to pop. I've been going to the same metal club for years and have only ever seen a couple of fights in there, yet when I was out clubbing in the dance clubs, you'd see a fight pretty much every weekend! Of course, now the hipsters have invaded the metal clubs too, so they're full of girls with chains and piercings and who think paramore are a great band and their ******** boyfriends doing mkat in the toilets :(
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'There is no original music anymore'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Question: "Do you like (insert name of artist/band who struggled for years then finally had chart hits)?"

Answer: "I liked their early stuff..."

Liking the "early stuff" is quite obviously a statement that later, big-selling "stuff" is beneath them, as lots of people liked that. Such people have this need to appear esoteric and 'ahead of the curve'... once something has become popular, they recoil in horror and move on to something else obscure. :D

Modern act most associated with this phenomenon... Kings of Leon.

Heard it a lot with 80s bands too such as Echo and The Bunnymen and Simple Minds. I love all The Bunnymen's "stuff" (hate music being called "stuff" to be honest) but felt rather patronised once by someone looking down their nose at the fact that the big selling Ocean Rain is my favourite album of theirs, which in this person's eyes might make me less of a fan.

Here's a thing, maybe it sold over 100,000 copies because it's the best one? How dare lots of people like it! :D
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Is it me, or are there no good bands around anymore?" For some reason, everyone who says this thinks all good music stopped sometime in their early thirties, regardless of when they were born. I mean, it's almost as if music has this magical ability to appeal to a certain age-group, whilst being a complete mystery to everyone else.

"Am I the only person who hates (insert name of any massively popular, ideally tween fanbase, artist)". Yes, you're the only person in the whole world who 'hates' One Direction/ The Wanted/ Katy Perry/ Rhianna etc etc (they don't).

and of course, the ubiquitous
    "Simon Cowell destroyed music", said by people who think they're terribly muso, but, paradoxically, show how little they actually know by believing that Cowell is the be-all and end-all of music.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I have an eclectic music taste, I am kinda quirky and my music choice reflects that"

These people also tend to have the most stale and boring collections of music in the world. Often featuring a lot of crap Tori Amos acoustic covers, recording in some pub or busking on the street.

I enjoy all types of music but I wouldn't say I am eclectic, just broad is all.

Oh and people who claim to like music but dont have a collection "oh I just listen to it on youtube". At 98k, yeah, you are so true with your dubstep remixes, excuse me whilst I ring up the music world and let them know that the true king has returned haha.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Music snob'

A term generally used as an insult to someone who takes pleasure investing time into finding new music to listen too.

A term used far too often on these forums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

Along side the now immortal, 'there's all this great music outside the charts', if people would just listen!'

However given the incredibly narrow spectrum of music now covered by the singles chart that one has more than a little truth in it.

Led Zeppelin, for example, never troubled the UK singles chart, and there are many bands I enjoy who sell out arena tours but will never have a hit single in the UK.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However given the incredibly narroe spectrum of music now covered by the singles chart that one has more than a little truth in it.

Led Zeppelin, for example, never troubled the UK singles chart, and there are many bands I enjoy who sell out arena tours but will never have a hit single in the UK.

A lot of the charts has garbage in it, but thats just true of the music scene as a whole. Lots of "indie" label bands are thier for a reason. Sure some are misunderstood but that's rare, most are either not very good.

(Taking music as a whole view, sure for every 100 good albums a year, there are 100'000 that you will never hear and most of them will be rubbish. Anyone can release an album these days, and whilst in some ways thats good, it does also mean the natural filter is lower.

I also thought of another, when a band has an image that is unpopular, but they do put out a few decent songs and people still give them a hard time simply because of the image. Backstreet Boys are one of the better boy bands, and a few of their tracks are actually well done songs. As Long as You Love Me is a well written, simple little love song. Its good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question: "Do you like (insert name of artist/band who struggled for years then finally had chart hits)?"

Liking the "early stuff" is quite obviously a statement that later, big-selling "stuff" is beneath them, as lots of people liked that. Such people have this need to appear esoteric and 'ahead of the curve'... once something has become popular, they recoil in horror and move on to something else obscure. :D

Heard it a lot with 80s bands too such as Echo and The Bunnymen and Simple Minds. I love all The Bunnymen's "stuff" (hate music being called "stuff" to be honest) but felt rather patronised once by someone looking down their nose at the fact that the big selling Ocean Rain is my favourite album of theirs, which in this person's eyes might make me less of a fan.

Here's a thing, maybe it sold over 100,000 copies because it's the best one? How dare lots of people like it! :D

That isn't the case at all.

I can think of two bands off the top of my head, Altered Images and Toyah, who radically changed musical direction from their early stuff to achieve chart success.

Fans of their early stuff got in to them because they were different, why would they still maintain that same level of interest if a band moves from that edgy, inventive, material to produce light, fluffy, pop?

Altered Images' Happy Birthday, which sold by the bucketful, isn't a patch on, say, Dead Pop Stars or A Day's Wait.

The same with Toyah, give me Neon Womb or Victims Of The Riddle over It'a A Mystery any day of the week.

As for Echo and the Bunnymen, their peak for me was the live recording of Crocodiles on the Shine So Hard EP. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    "Is it me, or are there no good bands around anymore?" For some reason, everyone who says this thinks all good music stopped sometime in their early thirties, regardless of when they were born. I mean, it's almost as if music has this magical ability to appeal to a certain age-group, whilst being a complete mystery to everyone else.

"Am I the only person who hates (insert name of any massively popular, ideally tween fanbase, artist)". Yes, you're the only person in the whole world who 'hates' One Direction/ The Wanted/ Katy Perry/ Rhianna etc etc (they don't).

and of course, the ubiquitous
    "Simon Cowell destroyed music", said by people who think they're terribly muso, but, paradoxically, show how little they actually know by believing that Cowell is the be-all and end-all of music.

I've never understood that one either.

I'm 51 next month and I still get the same buzz from discovering bands today as I did 30+ years ago.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member

No doubt there's some truth in that but there are plenty examples where bands have taken a very deliberate (even cynical) decision to court commercial success. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, incidentally. Often this ties in with personnel changes. Sometimes - not always - I do prefer the early stuff.

A good example would be The Human League. I liked Dare well enough but much preferred Reproduction and Travelogue. Conversely with Ultravox I liked the John Foxx era albums but actually preferred the first few Midge Ure albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    No doubt there's some truth in that but there are plenty examples where bands have taken a very deliberate (even cynical) decision to court commercial success. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, incidentally. Often this ties in with personnel changes. Sometimes - not always - I do prefer the early stuff.

Fair enough, but from what you say on Ultravox and Human League, you aren't saying it to make a point about yourself.

I've met one or two who are! ;-)
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I like real music'
    'I used to like [song/album/artist] before it was famous'
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who have never bought a downloaded track/album or used a streaming service, yet who never stop complaining about how those formats are shite and that they will only ever buy vinyl.

People who buy vinyl just to be different yet they cannot tell you anything about why the format is so brilliant.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "My tastes are quite eclectic" Usually said by people whose tastes are very far from eclectic.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    People who buy vinyl just to be different yet they cannot tell you anything about why the format is so brilliant.

I buy vinyl (rarely) because of the loudness wars. CDs are technically superior, but they've been crushed to the point of causing headaches.

In theory, CDs have a wider dynamic range, in practice, vinyl does.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Smashed it' 'new era' 'slayed em', also people who call an artists next album a 'comeback' ffs they have been touring and took a bit of time off
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    'Smashed it' 'new era' 'slayed em', also people who call an artists next album a 'comeback' ffs they have been touring and took a bit of time off

The ' new era' thing especially. Usually used by fans of some lightweight pop act, to describe this album rather than the last one. FFS!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    The ' new era' thing especially. Usually used by fans of some lightweight pop act, to describe this album rather than the last one. FFS!

That does bother me quite a lot. I've only seen it on this forum, usually from Lady Gaga, Katy Perry or Rihanna fans.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

It's true though, it's become cliche because no one ever listens so you have to say a million times!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That does bother me quite a lot. I've only seen it on this forum, usually from Lady Gaga, Katy Perry or Rihanna fans.

It seems to be a pretty common thing now amongst pop fans (online at least). If you venture onto forums like Popjustice or ATRL, there's plenty of talk about 'eras' in reference to one album/tour.