Options

BT Sport renewal

swillsswills Posts: 4,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if this has a thread elsewhere, could not see one,
Had a text from BT today saying that my sub to BT Sprt expires on July 15th, if I wnat to contine getting the channel I must sign up with BT for another year, if I don't then it will be £6.75 for SD plus and extra charge for HD, as I don'y wish to be locked in for a year, and don't watch that much on BT Sport, I will not bother, just wondering how many more now the year is up, will do the same ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I saw the other week in an email about the HD subscription going to be charged from the 1st August I think it was? I quickly phoned up BT to cancel my HD subscription just in case I forgot, because the amount of times I watch BT Sports I wasn't going to be paying £3 to watch it in HD. I then got an email last week saying that I need to sign up to another 12 month contract to get it free. I have done this, but mainly because I wanted the Home Hub 5 and I'm happy with my infinity connection I get.

I guess it there way of trying to keep customers from going over to Sky broadband with their recent 2 years free offer. The problem I see with that offer is people will take it up, but next year when Sky loses Champions League football, there will be a load of people who have taken up the 2 year offer to then have to pay for BT Sports to carry on getting Champions League football.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was called today and basically told that they'd let me renew for another year at my current discounted price. I'd still have to pay the £3pm HD charge and the line rental has gone up by a ridiculous 13% also so I'm not sure yet. If I can ditch the line rental and just keep the broadband and BT Sport I might do it.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    giffordc wrote: »
    I guess it there way of trying to keep customers from going over to Sky broadband with their recent 2 years free offer. The problem I see with that offer is people will take it up, but next year when Sky loses Champions League football, there will be a load of people who have taken up the 2 year offer to then have to pay for BT Sports to carry on getting Champions League football.

It is free BB for 2 years, not a 2 year contract, not sure why people think you have to stay for the whole 2 years.

I believe the small print stated it is an 18 month contract for EXISTING broadband customers, and a 12 month contract for NEW broadband customers, so, sign up now, and they can still leave in a year, those who already have it would probably have stayed anyway, so 18 month contract probably won't bother them.

From Sky website:

Offer available to Sky TV customers with Sky Sports. Sky Network areas only. £6.95 router delivery charge applies. New minimum term required for Sky Broadband Unlimited, calls and line rental - 12 months for new and 18 months for existing Sky Broadband customers.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that is sure to happen if bt take more football from sky, their sub's will increase. It certainly won't stay like it is.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    One thing that is sure to happen if bt take more football from sky, their sub's will increase. It certainly won't stay like it is.

And the other side is that if Sky win more EPL games or even the similar packages that they currently enjoy, (this so called competition) The price they will pay means that Skys subs will go up to

Its a lose / lose situation thank goodness for competition
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    any chance of Sky wholesaling BT sport channels in the way they did for ESPN?

wouldn't have to deal with BT directly then.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    IIRC BT said they would categorically not allow that when BT Sport launched.
    Still, they eventually made a similar deal with Virgin, so never say never!
    BT would of course expect a reciprocal deal from Sky for the Sky Sports channels on their delivery platform............
    :)
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least with Sky Sports, after you have been with Sky for a year, you can have Sports on a monthly contract (31 days notice) but with BT you have to sign up for BB for another 12 months and have their Line Rental too. neither are the cheapest around BB or Line Rental !
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    IIRC BT said they would categorically not allow that when BT Sport launched.
    Still, they eventually made a similar deal with Virgin, so never say never!
    BT would of course expect a reciprocal deal from Sky for the Sky Sports channels on their delivery platform............
    :)

They only made a deal with Virgin because there was no other option, unlike Sky, you can't add 3rd party channels.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    At least with Sky Sports, after you have been with Sky for a year, you can have Sports on a monthly contract (31 days notice) but with BT you have to sign up for BB for another 12 months and have their Line Rental too. neither are the cheapest around BB or Line Rental !

You can have sports on a monthly basis any time. Its the entertainment packages you have to have for a year.
    And BT Sport on a Sky box doesn't require any BB package nor any contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    You can have sports on a monthly basis any time. Its the entertainment packages you have to have for a year.
    And BT Sport on a Sky box doesn't require any BB package nor any contract.

My text said to continue to get BT Sport free, (no mnetion of HD) via the Sky Platform I must renew by current BB sub for a further year, and by default sign up for another year for Line Rental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My email or text from B.T. said much the same as ktla's I have Option 3 and would need to sign on for another year to get BT Spt, and of course to get BTBB you have to take BT's rental too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    My text said to continue to get BT Sport free, (no mnetion of HD) via the Sky Platform I must renew by current BB sub for a further year, and by default sign up for another year for Line Rental.

Im not talking about getting it free.
    Im talking about getting it as standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Im not talking about getting it free.
    Im talking about getting it as standard.

sorry ! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    sorry ! :blush:

No worries :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the other side is that if Sky win more EPL games or even the similar packages that they currently enjoy, (this so called competition) The price they will pay means that Skys subs will go up to

Its a lose / lose situation thank goodness for competition

Whichever ever way we lose.
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I had a call earlier this week offering me he HD part free if I signed up fir another 12 months. As I wanted to see what BB offers were on I didn't sign up...but was given a number to call when I was ready!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Whichever ever way we lose.

Which is what I said " Its a lose / lose situation thank goodness for competition " ;-)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    To be clear - if you don't sign up for BT broadband for another year they will start charging you a monthly sub for BT Sport (i.e. they won't just stop your BT sport access on 1 August?)

As with most things BT they don't make things clear on their site.
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    davefevs wrote: »
    I had a call earlier this week offering me he HD part free if I signed up fir another 12 months. As I wanted to see what BB offers were on I didn't sign up...but was given a number to call when I was ready!

I phoned back again today (0800-802002) and although I couldn't get the HD free, they knocked down my broadband and calls by £4....so I'm a £1 up.

I think it made a difference that I was one of the early subscribers to BT Sports HD. Last year????
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    To be clear - if you don't sign up for BT broadband for another year they will start charging you a monthly sub for BT Sport (i.e. they won't just stop your BT sport access on 1 August?)

As with most things BT they don't make things clear on their site.

I think you'll find that it's the T&C's you agreed to when you first signed up that are relevant, not what they are offering now.

I believe it said BT Sport free for a year if you take out BT Broadband, so they have not changed anything they have already said to you, and if you signed up a year ago, your free sport will be coming to an end, and i expect they would have told you at the time it would then be chargeable.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that it's the T&C's you agreed to when you first signed up that are relevant, not what they are offering now.

I believe it said BT Sport free for a year if you take out BT Broadband, so they have not changed anything they have already said to you, and if you signed up a year ago, your free sport will be coming to an end, and i expect they would have told you at the time it would then be chargeable.

I got an email from them saying containing this.

"Keep getting BT Sport for free
    You don't need to do anything now because your broadband is still in contract. We'll let you know nearer the time when you need to renew it, so you can keep getting our three sports channels for free."

I am on an 18 month BT broadband contract which ends at Christmas - do I keep my BT sport free until then (i.e. December) automatically or must I sign up for another BT broadband contract for a further year from now (i.e. ending June 2015).

I assume I start paying for BT Sport from 1 August if I do nothing - but its not clear at all. My contract ends in December - so implying I get free BT sport while in contract is rather misleading?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to do anything now because your broadband is still in contract. We'll let you know nearer the time when you need to renew it
    , so you can keep getting our three sports channels for free." You are in contract till Dec an as such you are entitled to Free BT sports as customer

I am on an 18 month BT broadband contract which ends at Christmas - do I keep my BT sport free until then (i.e. December) automatically or must I sign up for another BT broadband contract for a further year from now (i.e. ending June 2015).

I assume I start paying for BT Sport from 1 August if I do nothing - but its not clear at all. My contract ends in December - so implying I get free BT sport while in contract is rather misleading?!

The bit in bold you posted says you need to do nothing,I take it you will get free BT sports until your contract ends in Dec and BT will contact you just before so you can renew your BB and get free Sports

I did get an Email from BT saying I would get free BT sports in SD this year unless I want to pay extra for the HD version,I declined
    I took out an 18 month contact around Aug 2013 so I am mid way through my contract and no mention of renewing in my Email
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a comparison with Plusnet and basically it turns out that it's cheaper for me to stay with BT if I care about BT Sport (which I kinda do) because of my existing discount. Annoying really because the broadband price went up by £1pm earlier this year, line rental is going up by £1.60pm, plus there's the £3pm for HD. So more than a £5pm increase over last year.

Might call them up nearer to when my contract expires and see what they can do in terms of the price. The stupid thing is that I can't renew for a future date, so I can't sort it all out early. >_>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to do anything now because your broadband is still in contract. We'll let you know nearer the time when you need to renew it, so you can keep getting our three sports channels for free."

Reckon you will be ok until the contract expires, Christmas, then you will have to agree to stay for another 12 months to get t 'free' or pay £7 (almost) a month, or £10 with HD