Lord Sugar batters paid TV critics

pollipolli Posts: 2,180
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Apprentice boss isn't happy .
Amazing the losers in media The Daily Liar (mail) who hate me slagged off apprentice all season. Mainly the non achiever Christopher Stevens
and
Poor jealous @HylandIan despite Apprentice 7.5m peak viewers he slags it off.Bitter chap who has never achieved anything in his life
He has a point though . Seriously , why is the opinion of one smug know-all in any daily paper considered relevant ? They get paid good salaries to watch telly and slag people off/big them up , yet they are nobodies for the most part whose opinions really don't matter . Most of them try to be witty or edgy and fail miserably . Wannabe stand-up comedians ? Who knows.
I'm with Sugar on this one , TV critics are a waste of space and finances really .

Comments

• Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do a lot better than most TV critics. But then, I dare say that they could do a lot better themselves if they weren't told how to write by their papers' editors. The tabloids tell their critics to bash the BBC at every opportunity they can find, and to sneer at & ridicule easy targets, to worship Simon Cowell, and to throw a regard for truth out of the window, in their write-ups.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand TV critics and never understood the point of them.

Film / Theatre reviews I can understand, but somebody making sarcastic comments after a show has aired and we've all seen it just baffles me.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,942
    Forum Member
    And there was me thinking this thread was about a new cookery programme.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I'm certainly not a fan of tabloids, but I do agree with the opinion that this series of the Apprentice was poor, as was a number of reality TV shows this year.

Plus, the come-back of "he's never achieved anything in his life" is like playground insults. Where's the clever Lord Sugar from the show? His twitter seems to be devoid of any of the wit of the Lord Sugar from The Apprentice.
  • KayokKayok Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    The critic who is on The Wright Stuff on Fridays hates every show he reviews, snarly cynicism about everything, while Matthew Wright guffaws and gasps at his every insult/word.
    The most rated shows on tv, but a middle aged man doesn't like them, so can say to millions through tv and print that the show is boring, unfunny, etc and does this week in and week out.
    Wonderful job if you can get it, I would say.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    Amazing the losers in media The Daily Liar (mail) who hate me slagged off apprentice all season. Mainly the non achiever Christopher Stevens
    and
    Poor jealous @HylandIan despite Apprentice 7.5m peak viewers he slags it off.Bitter chap who has never achieved anything in his life
    He has a point though . Seriously , why is the opinion of one smug know-all in any daily paper considered relevant ? They get paid good salaries to watch telly and slag people off/big them up , yet they are nobodies for the most part whose opinions really don't matter . Most of them try to be witty or edgy and fail miserably . Wannabe stand-up comedians ? Who knows.
    I'm with Sugar on this one , TV critics are a waste of space and finances really .

You could say that about any critic, though - why is it worse to be a tv critic than a film or food critic? People read it, if you agree, you agree if you don't you don't. If a paper wants to pay a person to do that job, they must see value in it.

LordSirAllen chucking his toys out of his pram is nothing new. He hates criticism, warranted or not.

I don't believe that anything is above reproach. I think it is remarkably snobby to be dismissive of TV critics, but not of any other types - do you think of tv as too low-brow to need a critic?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But The Apprentice is complete toilet, an absolute travesty of nonsense that is more predictable than Kardashian's next arse shot.

TV critics are just as valid as everyone else. Some good, some bad. But The Apprentice is a dreadful programme.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kayok wrote: »
    The critic who is on The Wright Stuff on Fridays hates every show he reviews, snarly cynicism about everything, while Matthew Wright guffaws and gasps at his every insult/word.
    The most rated shows on tv, but a middle aged man doesn't like them, so can say to millions through tv and print that the show is boring, unfunny, etc and does this week in and week out.
    Wonderful job if you can get it, I would say.

Precisely . It's money for old rope and they are a waste of time and resources .
    Honestly , there must be few people (I know of none thankfully) that would read a sneering sniping critique of a program and then declare *well that's that ! I def won't watch that , cos Chris/Ian/ Fred bloggs say's it is rubbish and that's good enough for me ! * .
    Duh ! Do we really need daft little comedians or grumpy gits to make our minds up for us ? Hmm, I think not .
    I'd hazard a guess that anyone could spew forth a supposedly witty page of waffle about telly stuff if given a hefty pay cheque and a full week to tweak & perfect the funneees .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say that about any critic, though - why is it worse to be a tv critic than a film or food critic? People read it, if you agree, you agree if you don't you don't. If a paper wants to pay a person to do that job, they must see value in it.

LordSirAllen chucking his toys out of his pram is nothing new. He hates criticism, warranted or not.

I don't believe that anything is above reproach. I think it is remarkably snobby to be dismissive of TV critics, but not of any other types - do you think of tv as too low-brow to need a critic?
    Of course nothing is above reproach , but why would anyone actually care what some random bloke thinks of a program ? If he/she thinks it's rubbish then that's just his/her opinion . Do the editors really think it influences anyone ? A waste of money . A viewers opinions page would be much more interesting and less exclusive . And cheaper ;-) And probably more humourous .
    Snobby ? Moi ?:D Quite the opposite actually . I think the critics are the snobs . They must be to think their opinion is anything more than a drop in the ocean .
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and

I agree TV critics are useless on the whole and pointless, I have read so many nonsense reviews in the daily mail but to be honest I take no notice of them. It's irrelevant to me what they think about a show, they aren't in a better position than anyone else to decide how good a TV show is. A lot of TV shows are quite subjective and what one person likes someone else will hate that's why these reviews are pointless.
    I personally can't stand the apprentice but I know many others who like it, people will view what they want to regardless of what some 'TV critic' says.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Did he really expect a Mail critic to be nice about a BBC TV show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course nothing is above reproach , but why would anyone actually care what some random bloke thinks of a program ? If he/she thinks it's rubbish then that's just his/her opinion . Do the editors really think it influences anyone ? A waste of money . A viewers opinions page would be much more interesting and less exclusive . And cheaper ;-) And probably more humourous .
    Snobby ? Moi ?:D Quite the opposite actually . I think the critics are the snobs . They must be to think their opinion is anything more than a drop in the ocean .

Have you got any proof that they think their opinion is any more or less important than anyone else's?

Mark Komode states frequently that film critics have little impact on whether people actually go and watch a film or not.

We have tv critics for the same reason we have football pundits, political commentators and talking heads. They generate thought, discussion and debate. Considering you have such strong opinions about tv critics, I would say they have been wholly successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    I agree TV critics are useless on the whole and pointless, I have read so many nonsense reviews in the daily mail but to be honest I take no notice of them. It's irrelevant to me what they think about a show, they aren't in a better position than anyone else to decide how good a TV show is. A lot of TV shows are quite subjective and what one person likes someone else will hate that's why these reviews are pointless.
    I personally can't stand the apprentice but I know many others who like it, people will view what they want to regardless of what some 'TV critic' says.

I think I have worked out your mistake there...:D
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with the Daily Fail is they didn't understand what Mark Wrights business plan was so they think therefore it will fail. They didn't approve of Dr Leah last year either, yet that has do well, and the Daily Fail is a paper the critiques women's looks and attacks women for looking like they have just stepped off and plane, when they have in fact stepped off a plane. They are now going to the women in bikini's now, yet the don't approve of the cosmetic procedures that Dr Leah's company provides either....
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're totally pointless. They just slate shows for the sake of it. Most of them are told what to write. Left to their own devices most of them can't even string a sentence together.

(IMO of course)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them are dreadful. Some of them - aka Charlie Brooker - are genius.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got any proof that they think their opinion is any more or less important than anyone else's?

Mark Komode states frequently that film critics have little impact on whether people actually go and watch a film or not.

We have tv critics for the same reason we have football pundits, political commentators and talking heads. They generate thought, discussion and debate. Considering you have such strong opinions about tv critics, I would say they have been wholly successful.

^ Well, a wholehearted yes! No one is forced to read them or agree with them or find what they say insightful, so getting angry at them and at the same time seeing them as a waste of space is comically contradictory. If they're a waste of space, then why get offended by them?

I like tv critics' columns, I dip in and out of them, always interested to read what they have to say about both things I've loved and things I've loathed. Sometimes I'll agree, sometimes not, but I've never felt the need to get personal with or instigate a hate campaign against any of them.

Alan Sugar does come across a touch petty here. He should be above this. I loved this season's 'Apprentice' and it seems a hell of a lot of other people did too, and that's his real f*ck off to the critics. That should have been enough for him.
  • rubyred25rubyred25 Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Hyland don't seem to like anything. He hates the Xfactor with a passion. I think more Simon and the machine. I did agree with his apprentice review. Nick was also one of the best things about the apprentice. D Mail seem to hate everything. They must have shares in Zoopla. They do love a house price in an article.
  • AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    IMO, the reference to the daily fail is one thing. Both ian hyland and Kevin o'sullivan write for the Mirror.. Personally it would not sway me either way, but it is always entertain me if I had the same view.

Also, to say that they have never accomplished anything is a bit of a slur. Sure that a journalistic degree is involved. ....

Again. My opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rubyred25 wrote: »
    Ian Hyland don't seem to like anything. He hates the Xfactor with a passion. I think more Simon and the machine. I did agree with his apprentice review. Nick was also one of the best things about the apprentice. D Mail seem to hate everything. They must have shares in Zoopla. They do love a house price in an article.

Their pictures on their pages rarely match grabbed pictures posted online either :D , but then I suppose that's just human vanity .
    I think with the Apprentice we have just become used to the format and it no longer holds us in thrall like the first few series . We now know there will be a fool or two causing much eye rolling and the rest will take turns in looking stupid , but it is still a great show, just become a bit predictable is all and it did hit high figures in the viewing .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their pictures on their pages rarely match grabbed pictures posted online either :D , but then I suppose that's just human vanity .
    I think with the Apprentice we have just become used to the format and it no longer holds us in thrall like the first few series . We now know there will be a fool or two causing much eye rolling and the rest will take turns in looking stupid , but it is still a great show, just become a bit predictable is all and it did hit high figures in the viewing .
    What a very uncharitable thing to say.
    What have their looks got to do with anything? It's not as they are self-styled heart-throbs, is it? As far as I am aware, none of the tv critics in the nationals has ever done a "Look how gorgeous I am" photo shoot. That seems mean for the sake of being mean.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them are dreadful. Some of them - aka Charlie Brooker - are genius.

Agree, he's brilliant. I'd add to that Stuart Heritage (his X Factor live blog was by far and away better than anything the show itself produced!) and Ian Hyland. Jim Shelley's pretty good too.

That Kevin O' Sullivan (the one who's on Matthew's Wright's daily rant show) is just a knob.

And why is Sugar referring to it as 'season'?! It's a UK show and therefore a 'series' - no-one needs to encourage more Americanisation of our language!
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian hyland always makes me laugh, as does Jim Shelly. I've gone off Charlie brooker of late.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymar wrote: »
    Ian hyland always makes me laugh, as does Jim Shelly. I've gone off Charlie brooker of late.

He's not been quite the same since he they had the kiddywink but am still looking forward to 2014 Wipe.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and

My heart bleeds for him, tv critics and Alan Sugar are a waste of space and oxygen, I used to consider myself working class until I met the Sugar, now I know I'm distinctly Middle class. 😃

The apprentice has been poor for years, coasting on its past success and its not helped by often vile candidates who appear all cloned in the image of the barrow boy,