Options

How do people afford houses?

AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking about moving so we could be closer to our son's school.

I looked up four bedroom houses as we have an average family size of two children and need an office, ideally.

The only houses available were 500 k or more.

Then I looked at the floor plans and these were not even four-bedroom houses at all. Two of the bedrooms could more accurately be classed as the living and dining rooms. Apparently families are expected to spend half a million on a house nowadays and eat dinner/watch tv in the draughty conservatory.

I'm not complaining, I am just confused. How can people afford to pay so much, for a distinctly average home? How did our housing market get so out of reach?

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's London for you
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's London for you

You wouldn't get close to 4 bedrooms for 500k in London, sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Beats me.

But I don't think I could ever afford a £120k property (which is the cheapest price you'd find for a ready to live in 2 bedroom terrace round here, and I don't even live in a particularly expensive area!), let alone a £500k four bedroom family home! :eek:
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's London for you

The houses I was looking at were not in London, but they are in the south.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. :(

I want to stay in/around Cambridgeshire (renting at the moment) but I'd love to buy my own house, but they're all startlingly expensive! A 3 bed around the outskirts of Cambridgeshire (at least where I live, anyway) will set you back around 350k. God forbid you actually want to move into the city itself, 350k probably wouldn't even buy you a one bed flat!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how people afford houses. I'm in a very ordinary 3 bed semi bungalow in a quite run of the mill residential area, and they are going for between £250k for the 2 beds and £300k for the 3 beds.

The garden is very nice, but really, in truth, these prices are extraordinary, and out of reach for so many.

32 miles from London - and the prices in this town are fairly conservative for South East England.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder that myself sometimes. I only just recently bought one, it took years of saving for the down payment alone, and my income is a very high percentile. I wonder how average families manage it, in great enough numbers to keep the property values so high.

The median home price here is around $900k, and the median household income is around $60k. 15 years of pre-tax income. Of course nobody can possibly spend 100% of their pre-tax income on housing, or even post-tax income, since they have other expenses. The numbers seem like they'd be out of reach for the majority and prices would fall, but they don't.

I suppose the answer is that not every household can afford it. Some add hours to their week commuting from wherever they can afford, some are lifelong renters, some live in smaller spaces than they might like, and some all of the above. Investors put a floor on prices by buying up homes to rent out to people who can't save up enough to buy.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea we are looking to buy in a year or so time, but we are moving hopefully to Lincolnshire or even Northumberland and are not worried about buying a not traditional construction home so prices will be more like 50-60k
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Convince the bank manager to give you a mortgage (will need savings and evidence of sensible spending and saving panning 2 years)

get money of mum and dad, or other family, money left in wills

buy together

some people are turning to crowdfunding, a new idea
    https://www.thehousecrowd.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    No idea we are looking to buy in a year or so time, but we are moving hopefully to Lincolnshire or even Northumberland and are not worried about buying a not traditional construction home so prices will be more like 50-60k

I was considering buying a chalet/static caravan that's made in the style of a log cabin, they cost between £60-£80k, so much more affordable and very pleasant little places to live in, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to live in them full time? I tried doing some research but couldn't find a definitive answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 bed semi, new build,gardens front and rear , downstairs toilet, built 2007.. On the outskirts of Liverpool, lots of green area

What did I pay?
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    I was considering buying a chalet/static caravan that's made in the style of a log cabin, they cost between £60-£80k, so much more affordable and very pleasant little places to live in, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to live in them full time? I tried doing some research but couldn't find a definitive answer.

lol You'll be going to the puggy machines and swimming everyday and showing the tourists round the resort.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

Most are classed as holiday homes and not for residential use, plus factor in site fees as well, and the fact your chalet won't increase in value like a house.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is definitely a North South divide when it comes to House prices, For Less than 200 K you could buy a decent 3/4 bed detached up here in Yorkshire.

It's Legalised Robbery what they ask for down South.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    3 bed semi, new build,gardens front and rear , downstairs toilet, built 2007.. On the outskirts of Liverpool, lots of green area

What did I pay?

Over the odds.

I live in the south, but looking at moving a little bit further north where I can get a 5 bed detached with land for £20-£30k less than my current 4 bed detached with a garden. My current house has appreciated 30% in four years which is just nuts and why it's extremely difficult for people to buy when house prices massively outstrip inflation.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Each site is different, you need to ask around, if they call them holiday homes they are definitely not all year sites but there are many residential sites out there.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Convince the bank manager to give you a mortgage (will need savings and evidence of sensible spending and saving panning 2 years)

get money of mum and dad, or other family, money left in wills

buy together

some people are turning to crowdfunding, a new idea
    https://www.thehousecrowd.com/

Alternatively, find yourself a rich boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the odds.

I live in the south, but looking at moving a little bit further north where I can get a 5 bed detached with land for less than my current 4 bed detached with a garden. My current house has appreciated 30% in four years which is just nuts and why it's extremely difficult for people to buy when house prices massively outstrip inflation.

I paid £115.000
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In London, in my experience, they either bought before prices went very very high, in the days when prices were just high, or they have taken out a very large mortgage with the help to buy scheme and lots won't be able to pay it went interest rates rise.

You can buy in a crap part of London but even then for a house its very very expensive. Modern flats are expensive also.

In the South, its the south, try up north.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I paid £115.000

Bargain. I could sell my house and buy more than three of those. I work in Manchester every week, so may be a plan.

Is it like most new builds in that it's 2.5 bedrooms, a garden the size of a postage stamp, flimsy walls and overlooked by houses in any direction you care to look?

I've lived in two brand new houses, never again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bargain. I could sell my house and buy more than three of those. I work in Manchester every week, so may be a plan.

Is it like most new builds in that it's 2.5 bedrooms, a garden the size of a postage stamp, flimsy walls and overlooked by houses in any direction you care to look?

I've lived in two brand new houses, never again.

Yes it is ... But it's mine ... After a nasty divorce settlement I'm grateful

My house is bigger than your house eh ??? Very mature
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What did I pay?

Too much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You were the one going on about house prices. I was just saying it was a bargain, despite my dislike of new build houses, many of which depreciate as soon as you move in.

Houses are just a pile of bricks to me and their value is just paper money, unless you downsize or die. It's probably why I refuse to be a landlord, as BTL mortgages are also responsible for pushing house prices beyond the reach of most ordinary folk, which I find wrong.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is ... But it's mine ... After a nasty divorce settlement I'm grateful

My house is bigger than your house eh ??? Very mature

I know what Vernon means about modern houses being a bit on the compact side, but as you say, that house is yours, and after a divorce, that means a hell of a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were the one going on about house prices. I was just saying it was a bargain, despite my dislike of new build houses, many of which depreciate as soon as you move in.

Houses are just a pile of bricks to me and their value is just paper money, unless you downsize or die. It's probably why I refuse to be a landlord, as BTL mortgages are also responsible for pushing house prices beyond the reach of most ordinary folk, which I find wrong.

My point was that some people in the south can't buy a flat for less than 250,000... Hence the thread

How do people afford house??