New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
Forum Member
Hi,

I have been using Sky HD with a single feed and dummy recordings for a couple of years trouble-free.

Got the new EPG yesterday. Single-feed mode doesn't work.

1) If my system is in standby and recording when I switch it on it starts on the last channel I viewed with the no signal message. I can change channels, but do not get a picture. Previously switching on during a recording the box would have switched to the channel being recorded. Any attempt to change channels would produce the clash message and let me choose a recording to cancel.

2) If my box is switched on and a recording is due to start I get no notification and later find the recording failed due to no signal. Previously it would tell me of the clash and automatically switch channels and make the recording unless I told it not to.

I would expect my system to behave exactly as a normal two feed system would when making two recordings! Fix it please Sky!!

Chris

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been using Sky HD with a single feed and dummy recordings for a couple of years trouble-free.

Got the new EPG yesterday. Single-feed mode doesn't work.

1) If my system is in standby and recording when I switch it on it starts on the last channel I viewed with the no signal message. I can change channels, but do not get a picture. Previously switching on during a recording the box would have switched to the channel being recorded. Any attempt to change channels would produce the clash message and let me choose a recording to cancel.

2) If my box is switched on and a recording is due to start I get no notification and later find the recording failed due to no signal. Previously it would tell me of the clash and automatically switch channels and make the recording unless I told it not to.

I would expect my system to behave exactly as a normal two feed system would when making two recordings! Fix it please Sky!!

Chris

Good Morning

Do you have the single feed mode switched on in the new EPG installers menu?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Have you tried going into to settings then 4,0,1 select and selecting single feed mode to ON ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply guys - I have got it switched on. Even without it on the old dummy recording technique doesn't work :(
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,435
    Forum Member
    The old dummy recording method won't work, that's the whole point, you don't need to do that any more.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can only use a single feed now if you have single feed turned on.

I can't confirm yet as I don't yet have the new EPG, but from what others say, in "normal" mode it now uses input 2 as the watch tuner, not input 1. so maybee if it "thinks" it has 2 feeds, it switches between them more often than you might think, or more often than it did with the old EPG.

If the behavour you have described is with single feed mode turned on, then yes I agree it's flawed.
    Forum Member
    Nigel,

Even with single feed mode OFF the dummy recording technique doesn't work.

As the title - when I have single feed mode ON I am having issues with the no signal error - hence my deduction that the mode does not work.

Just watched a recording, it said Rupert was on channel five in the TV banner so I selected it. Rupert finished about 15 mins ago - so my in recording banner doesn't work either!

Chris
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    Nigel,

Even with single feed mode OFF the dummy recording technique doesn't work.

No it won't, the box doesn't work on a single feed unless you set single feed mode - you can't use dummy recordings any more.
  • tommyboyuktommyboyuk Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I got the new EPG on Thursday and immediately set it to single feed mode.

It has recorded successfully for me.

You just have to make sure the mode is turned on and you are using input 1, which is the inner of the 2 inputs.
    Forum Member
    Tommy,

Can you test the scenarios I described? If I set a recording and turn the box off it does work. Problem is using the box in any way while or before it is recording.

Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    No it won't, the box doesn't work on a single feed unless you set single feed mode - you can't use dummy recordings any more.

I don't understand why sky has changed this for single connection users. we were happy with the dummy recording option. It worked and it allowed us to have sky anytime.
    Changing it to single feed option disables anytime.

When we do get this new epg it will actually mean we watch less of sky and get even less value from our subscription.

I do hope there is a workaround.

why do sky have to disable anytime for single input users i believe it has something to do with the epg constantly updating is that correct ?
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot try this myself as I do not have the new EPG, but have you tried to re-enable Anytime, it may work at the expense of some EPG info.
    Forum Member
    I don't have it myself

I think the problem is that you can't use the old dummy recording trick so if you want reliable recordings of things you want to see you must enable the single tuner option in the settings.

This disables anytime downloads

I didn't have any problems with the dummy option and so with this new epg we get less of a service than before.

While i congratulate sky for thinking of us i'd rather they ignore us in the future than meddle with something we were happy with.
    Forum Member
    why do sky have to disable anytime for single input users i believe it has something to do with the epg constantly updating is that correct ?

I would imagine it's to do with the way the new EPG works, and the limitations caused by the preview window.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why sky has changed this for single connection users. we were happy with the dummy recording option. It worked and it allowed us to have sky anytime.

You and every other reader of DS might have been happy with that as a solution, but for most Sky users it would not have been a workable solution.

Sky's point will probably be (an not unreasonably) that the box was designed to use 2 feeds, if you managed to fool the box to work with one feed then all well and good. Sky has obviously noted that there are a number of users who wish to use the box with a single feed and they now provided that option.

I think you would have had more of a case if the new EPG had not offered any way to work with a single feed.

I think that is the reason, I am not totally sure (because I have a duel feed and did not pay too much attention) but I think I did read on DS that you could turn Anytime back on - I have tried to look for the post but cant find it. - when you get it, turn Single feed on then go and turn anytime back on and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    CharlesC wrote: »
    You and every other reader of DS might have been happy with that as a solution, but for most Sky users it would not have been a workable solution.

i see your point regarding most single tuner subscribers.

Sky's point will probably be (an not unreasonably) that the box was designed to use 2 feeds, if you managed to fool the box to work with one feed then all well and good. Sky has obviously noted that there are a number of users who wish to use the box with a single feed and they now provided that option.

at the expense of the more savy users i hasten to add

I think you would have had more of a case if the new EPG had not offered any way to work with a single feed.

I think that is the reason, I am not totally sure (because I have a duel feed and did not pay too much attention) but I think I did read on DS that you could turn Anytime back on - I have tried to look for the post but cant find it. - when you get it, turn Single feed on then go and turn anytime back on and see what happens.

When you enable the single input option it actually states anytime is disbaled and you cannot change it back in general settings. The only way is to enable the dual option feed which then results in problems as described above.

I say again i do hope we get some kind of workaround for this less than welcome update.

cheers though for your input
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CharlesC wrote: »

I can see where you're coming from in my apartment block (6 of us) I am the only one who knew about the single feed workaround and had to help my neighbours set it up so for most they had real problems before

When we do get this new epg it will actually mean we watch less of sky and get even less value from our subscription.

I do hope there is a workaround.

However, I hate that we lose anytime. I love this option and have found loads of good tv to watch from this :cry:

The web site for hd epg says that there are "some exciting new features" for single feed viewers????? Is there anything else ??

Looking forward to the new EPG but also sad that it will mean losing anytime. Not sure why we cant get it on single feed surely box downloads progs overnight when most people have the box off and not recording why cant this still work with single feed ?

OP have you contacted sky customer support about your problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also if we lose anytime do we get the disk space back??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I switch Sky Anytime back on again when Single Feed Mode is switched on?
    "Yes – Sky Anytime can be switched on when Single Feed Mode is switched on, however this may result in a reduced amount of programme listings being available in the Sky+HD Guide. To switch Sky Anytime back on, simply follow the steps below:

1. Press services on the remote control.
    2. Press the down arrow.
    3. Use the right arrow to scroll to Customise on the middle menu.
    4. Use the down arrow to highlight Enable Anytime.
    5. Use the left / right arrows to turn this setting on or off.
    6. Press the green button to save

I think this should work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I switch Sky Anytime back on again when Single Feed Mode is switched on?
    "Yes – Sky Anytime can be switched on when Single Feed Mode is switched on, however this may result in a reduced amount of programme listings being available in the Sky+HD Guide. To switch Sky Anytime back on, simply follow the steps below:

1. Press services on the remote control.
    2. Press the down arrow.
    3. Use the right arrow to scroll to Customise on the middle menu.
    4. Use the down arrow to highlight Enable Anytime.
    5. Use the left / right arrows to turn this setting on or off.
    6. Pres

Ace sounds like a fair compromise, happy with that :) bring on the new EPG.

Is this from the leaflet in the post??
  • cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can turn Anytime back on, even in single feed mode. It works on my box, I just tested it.

Now need to switch back to dual-feed mode!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lcfctom wrote: »
    Ace sounds like a fair compromise, happy with that :) bring on the new EPG.

Is this from the leaflet in the post??

No it is from the FAQ in the sky help centre about the new EPG
    Forum Member
    Hi there,

I was really pleased that they have added the single feed option.

I had permanent dummy recordings before, always left the box on, and disabled anytime and auto-standby, then I could forget about the single feed and use as everyone else does. After a power cycle it would get in a knot and I would have to reset my dummy recordings - so this would be hard to explain to someone in an "idiots guide" format.

The problem I had with anytime being on was that it would reserve the only feed to record anytime. If I then wished to watch live tv the tuner was busy and I would get no signal or intermittent recording success. This is why I believe they have forced anytime disable.

Chris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there will always be problems when using a single feed, but at least you can decide if you want Anytime.
    Forum Member
    Yes there will always be problems when using a single feed, but at least you can decide if you want Anytime.

I disagree. There will always be problems with a single feed *if* you require access to two different channels at once.

Why can the system not manage itself so you can record *or* watch live tv? Its a case of the software prioritizing operations. One at a time should work - its not rocket science! (remember VHS with one feed?)

Plus it manages to prioritize successfully if you ask to do 3 things with 2 feeds!

Chris
    Forum Member
    thats great news a lack of epg information is something i can live with

i take it all back !!

roll on the epg download lol