Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Ooh another - Rachel,is at Barry and mindys wedding and she sees the window she escaped through. They got married at the same venue he was jilted at a year ago? Come on!!!

Maybe it was still Barry's favourite venue despite the jilting
  • Options
    L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    New gripe! In TOWT Chicken Pox Phoebe tells the gang that she met Charlie sheens character when,he threw salt water taffy into her case when she was busking. She also wrote a song called Salt Water Taffy Man. But in a much later episode Ross gives her a piece of said taffy and she acts like she never tried it or heard of it!

Good spot! I watched that episode yesterday :D
    2 things annoy me about that episode
    - Phoebe and charlie are in Monica's Apartment, surely Phoebe could go to her own place
    - Charlie comes out of the bathroom still wearing his oven Gloves saying 'well that wasn't easy' meaning that he had to go to the toilet without taking those off?? (YUCK!!!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L.O.V.E wrote: »
    Good spot! I watched that episode yesterday :D
    2 things annoy me about that episode
    - Phoebe and charlie are in Monica's Apartment, surely Phoebe could go to her own place
    - Charlie comes out of the bathroom still wearing his oven Gloves saying 'well that wasn't easy' meaning that he had to go to the toilet without taking those off?? (YUCK!!!!)

There is a line in that episode about how dangerous Chicken Pox could be for Phoebe's grandma, which explains why they stay with Monica
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Ooh another - Rachel,is at Barry and mindys wedding and she sees the window she escaped through. They got married at the same venue he was jilted at a year ago? Come on!!!

Isn't that the point? He booked the same band too and his best man made a joke about using the same speech as Barry had booked the same wedding basically
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    New gripe! In TOWT Chicken Pox Phoebe tells the gang that she met Charlie sheens character when,he threw salt water taffy into her case when she was busking. She also wrote a song called Salt Water Taffy Man. But in a much later episode Ross gives her a piece of said taffy and she acts like she never tried it or heard of it!

Awesome :D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another gripe.

Why didn't chandler just cancel his direct debit when he was trying to quit the gym?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another gripe.

Why didn't chandler just cancel his direct debit when he was trying to quit the gym?

Did wonder that myself, Unless US law on contracts prevents that
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years ago it might have been different not sure about us law
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gripe.

Because that wouldn't be funny.

Besides, they did continue the joke by having the guys go to the bank to close their accounts but a similar thing occurred where they brought out an attractive woman to deal with the matter and they ended up with a joint account!
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    That was such a strange episode
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In TOWT Flashbacks, Season 3, Janice has a question - who of the 6 of you has slept with the 6 of you. Ross answers, that's easy to answer, none of us.

Erm, Ross, Rachel is sitting on your lap and you are most definitely sleeping together! His answer made no sense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In TOWT Flashbacks, Season 3, Janice has a question - who of the 6 of you has slept with the 6 of you. Ross answers, that's easy to answer, none of us.

Erm, Ross, Rachel is sitting on your lap and you are most definitely sleeping together! His answer made no sense!

Maybe Ross knew that Janice wasn't talking about him and Rachel. Janice very obviously knew that they were together
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that whole episoe doesnt make sense as rachel oesnt recognise chandler in the bar even though theyve met twice before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that whole episoe doesnt make sense as rachel oesnt recognise chandler in the bar even though theyve met twice before

That was before they had met before :D, And it was at least 3 times because they kissed at a party too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this wasnt befoer they had met they met as u say at the college party and at monica and ross house when they wre in high school

the bar scene is later on when shes engaged to barry
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chandler & Rachel have met for the first time at least 3 or 4 times

- In 1987 when Chandler went to Ross & Monica's house for thanksgiving and Rachel was there (where Monica overheard him calling her fat)

- I don't know the year it was set but as mentioned above where Rachel is engaged to Barry and she wants to have one last fling so fantasises about Chandler who she met in the pre-Central Perk coffee shop when it was just a bar and Chandler throws the pool ball in her direction

- In the 1st episode/pilot episode where Rachel runs into Central Perk in her wedding dress

- (I'm not sure on this one) where Rachel and Monica attend Ross & Chandler's college party in either 1987 or 1988. I can't remember if Rachel is yet again introduced to Chandler in this scene though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no shes not introduced iirc she remembers him an says wassup like all cool
  • Options
    Forum Member
    this wasnt befoer they had met they met as u say at the college party and at monica and ross house when they wre in high school

the bar scene is later on when shes engaged to barry

My comment was more a sarcastic one along the lines of 'It was before it was decided they had met before' As in the story was later changed

Yes it's a gripe but it is a deliberate change to the back story, The writers had to know and just decided it was better to do it and ignore the past meeting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yes i get you

it annoys me when they do that like fans arent going to notice
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Maybe Ross knew that Janice wasn't talking about him and Rachel. Janice very obviously knew that they were together

The question was 'which of the 6 of you' - Janice's question made no,sense, it was almost like it had been written way before R & R got together and Monica and Ross were related!
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chandler & Rachel have met for the first time at least 3 or 4 times

- In 1987 when Chandler went to Ross & Monica's house for thanksgiving and Rachel was there (where Monica overheard him calling her fat)

- I don't know the year it was set but as mentioned above where Rachel is engaged to Barry and she wants to have one last fling so fantasises about Chandler who she met in the pre-Central Perk coffee shop when it was just a bar and Chandler throws the pool ball in her direction

- In the 1st episode/pilot episode where Rachel runs into Central Perk in her wedding dress

- (I'm not sure on this one) where Rachel and Monica attend Ross & Chandler's college party in either 1987 or 1988. I can't remember if Rachel is yet again introduced to Chandler in this scene though

To be fair, Rachel and Chandler met a couple times about 10 years before they meet again properly - it wouldn't be impossible for Rachel to have completely forgotten about him, especially seeing as she has a habit of being self-involved!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I suspect it's poor continuity at best and the writers sacrificing accuracy for humorous storylines at worst, I don't really get too bothered.

I actually agree with the above, the previous meetings were fleeting and many years ago, so it could just be a case they forgot due to being self involved, scatty or simply the fact it wasn't that big a deal each time.

I think it holds up. If I see a friend for a birthday each year, it's likely the same mutual guests/friends may attend each year. Some may miss a few events over the years, so would only attend every other year or so,.

If I was introduced by the birthday boy to one of his other friends, we may make small talk throughout the evening but that would be that. This could happen with numerous people through the event. I'm not certain they would be expected to remember that a year or two later and I'm not sure I would remember each and every person I was ever introduced to at random one off events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it the fact that in the flashback ones monica specifically wanted to set chandler up for calling her fat which rachel helps her with

how would she forget that-then kissing him at his college
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    As much as I suspect it's poor continuity at best and the writers sacrificing accuracy for humorous storylines at worst, I don't really get too bothered.

I actually agree with the above, the previous meetings were fleeting and many years ago, so it could just be a case they forgot due to being self involved, scatty or simply the fact it wasn't that big a deal each time.

I think it holds up. If I see a friend for a birthday each year, it's likely the same mutual guests/friends may attend each year. Some may miss a few events over the years, so would only attend every other year or so,.

If I was introduced by the birthday boy to one of his other friends, we may make small talk throughout the evening but that would be that. This could happen with numerous people through the event. I'm not certain they would be expected to remember that a year or two later and I'm not sure I would remember each and every person I was ever introduced to at random one off events.

I think events such as Chandler kissing Rachel and Monica cutting off Chandler's toe would be memorable for Rachel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not.

Rachel was portrayed, for want of a better word, as a bit of a ****. So her kissing a guy (on this occasion, Chandler) one time at a party may have just been a weekly event for her. And she was drunk, so her memory would have been hazy.

I think it's not a huge stretch to think that Rachel may not have remembered Chandler in the coffee shop that day, given it was shortly after she had run out of her wedding and her brain was probably fried with that anyway.

There is nothing to suggest she then may not have filled in the blanks and remembered more about her previous interactions with Chandler once she calmed down and settled in at Monica's over the next few days. We just wouldn't have seen this on screen.