Pes 2017

ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else looking forward to this?

I thought the last one was quite good, if they can fix the dodgy keepers for the next one I'll definitely be getting it.

PES 2017

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the silly team names, (which I edit) I prefer the feel of PES. The last couple despite not being as good as PES 4 or 5 are getting there.

I don't like the shooting on Fifa and the slight sloppiness of PES makes it feel less clinical. They should reduce the scripting on both though,

So as long as its competent, day 1 PES purchase for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Very surprised to see it still coming out for PS3. Depending on how that works out I may get it, but I'm suspecting we'll just be looking at updated rosters and nothing. Still playing PES 2016 on PS3 all the time, and it's the most fun I've had with a football game for some time. Looks absolutely amazing on current gen though.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tiki taka style footballs looks more like the real thing compared to older pes games but i would need to try a demo. I have lost so many goals and had quick counters come to nothing with the passing going to the wrong player, you do a one two with a single defender in front of you and your through ball decides to go back to a dmf nullifying your own attack. Seen a vid where Neymar was running around with the ball stuck to feet skinning everyone, hopefully its like the older games with dribbling and not reliant on right stick flicks.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they have referees this year?

2016 was a joke with the refs as they never whistled for free kicks.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skipped PES 2016. So am looking forward to getting back on board the franchise and seeing what I've missed over the last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The demo comes out on the 24tn.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that gameplay-wise that PES 2016 was almost perfect. There was just so much to love about the way the game flowed and how much control you had over the players.

However . . . . the level of 'gaming' that the AI engages in is really frustrating, even on single player. I'll start up Master League on one day and will be winning matches at a stroll, the next day i'll turn it on and I can't even score against bottom of the table sides. There's no logic to it - often when I start losing i'll just reset the machine and low and behold i'll destroy them the next time round.

Also the lack of free kicks is ridiculous. The refs don't blow up for anything!
  • Ben_WBen_W Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the pes demo, been a Fifa player the last of couple of years but looking to switch back to pes if it reviews well
  • mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downloaded the demo tonight for xbox one, while it seems to be ok(doesnt seem much different to last years to me), there does seem to be some stuttering on the xbox one version, dunno if that is just me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't download anything on the ps store just now keep getting error codes.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a FIFA guy apart from PES 4 but always get the demo to try PES out and it looks like it's FIFA again for me. I don't know what it is but PES just feels clunky and doesn't flow right. Ah well I'm sure other people will love it.
  • mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a FIFA guy apart from PES 4 but always get the demo to try PES out and it looks like it's FIFA again for me. I don't know what it is but PES just feels clunky and doesn't flow right. Ah well I'm sure other people will love it.

I have to agree, it just didn't seem to flow like I thought it would defo fifa for me this year
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this year they will have refs that actually give fouls and bookings.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I prefer the 'clunky' gameplay in PES over Fifa, the players in PES feel heavy and realistic whilst the ones in Fifa feel too light as if they are ballerinas on skates.

I also like the way the players in PES feel different to one another and more like their real life counterparts. In Fifa all the fast players feel the same and all the tall players feel the same, it's like they have used different heads for the same bodies.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    I prefer the 'clunky' gameplay in PES over Fifa, the players in PES feel heavy and realistic whilst the ones in Fifa feel too light as if they are ballerinas on skates.

I also like the way the players in PES feel different to one another and more like their real life counterparts. In Fifa all the fast players feel the same and all the tall players feel the same, it's like they have used different heads for the same bodies.

I can't say I disagree with what you say there about FIFA, but its ballerinas over robots for me haha. One thing I did really like about PES is that the pitch felt the right size, the players have room but not too much space, it was just right. FIFA pitch seems too big.

I do prefer the game modes on FIFA tho so that clinches it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So, any other poor people like me trying out the PS3 demo? I'm really surprised about two things - firstly that it's even appearing on the last gen systems; and secondly that they seem to have done some work on it! Can't put my finger on it at this stage (only played two 16 minute games), but it does feel different to last year's brilliant edition. Possible buy for me, which I did not expect.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Improve the keepers, make the refs a bit more stricter and premier league games set in the day are 3 key things I want to see. I bet Konami only manage 1 out of 3.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm normally a bit meh about the latest footy releases with the latest promises of new improved AI and Emotion engines or whatever they come up with next, but I've watched a vid on PS Access of them playing PES 2017 and it actually looks really good this year.

Goalkeepers look much improved. Seems like you're going to to have to work to beat them. And some nice new physics on the ball.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Tried the ps4 demo and thought it was ok. Just OK.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played three games.

Things it does better than FIFA:
    - Your defenders actually DEFEND! I've never been a fan of FIFA's "tactical defending" nonsense; great idea, but as far as I'm concerned it's four years on and it still doesn't work. Far too common for the AI or another player to dance their way through your defence while they stand and look on. Great to see PES actually has a proper defensive system in place. Slide tackles are nice and meaty as well
    - Crosses actually form a useful part of attacking play and you can indeed score from them more than once in a blue moon
    - Graphically superb

Things it doesn't:
    - It is too slow and sluggish. Not a fan of the input lag which is far more pronounced than FIFA
    - The same applies to replays, menu system etc. Konami will never get the hang of it.
    - Attacking gameplay needs a lot of work. I was setting my teams to all-out attack and still only having three players in the top third of the pitch
    - Goalkeepers are absolutely awful. I beat Czech with two shots from outside the box (not finesse shots either), and two of the three goals I conceded over the three games were because my goalkeeper made a moronic decision EG. Flying out of his box, clattering my defender in the face and leaving an empty net for the attacker to score.

It's a solid effort but, as I've said before, PES needs to be exceptional in the gameplay department, rather than just good. This isn't because FIFA is exceptional - it isn't - but because FIFA does so many other things that PES just doesn't. If you want to play as "Man Red" rather than "Man United", then the gameplay needs to make you forget about the licensing. It did ten years ago, but just doesn't any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Played three games.

Things it does better than FIFA:
    - Your defenders actually DEFEND! I've never been a fan of FIFA's "tactical defending" nonsense; great idea, but as far as I'm concerned it's four years on and it still doesn't work. Far too common for the AI or another player to dance their way through your defence while they stand and look on. Great to see PES actually has a proper defensive system in place. Slide tackles are nice and meaty as well
    - Crosses actually form a useful part of attacking play and you can indeed score from them more than once in a blue moon
    - Graphically superb

Things it doesn't:
    - It is too slow and sluggish. Not a fan of the input lag which is far more pronounced than FIFA
    - The same applies to replays, menu system etc. Konami will never get the hang of it.
    - Attacking gameplay needs a lot of work. I was setting my teams to all-out attack and still only having three players in the top third of the pitch
    - Goalkeepers are absolutely awful. I beat Czech with two shots from outside the box (not finesse shots either), and two of the three goals I conceded over the three games were because my goalkeeper made a moronic decision EG. Flying out of his box, clattering my defender in the face and leaving an empty net for the attacker to score.

It's a solid effort but, as I've said before, PES needs to be exceptional in the gameplay department, rather than just good. This isn't because FIFA is exceptional - it isn't - but because FIFA does so many other things that PES just doesn't. If you want to play as "Man Red" rather than "Man United", then the gameplay needs to make you forget about the licensing. It did ten years ago, but just doesn't any more.

If you go to players to join attack you can pick about 4 that will carry on and it does make a noticeable difference, i used Barca and put the wider midfielders to join and got far more possession and shots than before. A big problem i thought they got rid of is when you send a player on a run for a through ball he stops sprinting just before he gets to the ball, you think that your perfectly planned attack will leave you 1 on 1 with the keeper then your player goes to the walking animation and a defender catches him.

I wonder what goes through the minds of these people when they test their game and stuff like this happens. I would be fascinated to hear the reasoning for this especially as it has always been marketed as realistic, real players put extra effort into getting on the end of a through ball not less.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you buy nhl 17 you get fifa 17 too as its essential the same game with its high speed gameplay
  • sidarlosidarlo Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Been a FIFA player for the last 4/5 years after being a loyal pes fan before. Havent played it for years but gave the demo a go and was pretty impressed, interesting to see how the fifa demo looks later this week. Quick piece on the demo https://www.the-newshub.com/gaming/pes-2017-demo-review
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Mine got dispatched today, if all goes well with the post it should be here tomorrow.

Kits/files already up. It takes about a minute at most to import the kits/names which you can do in one huge lump for anybody that's interested in that side of stuff.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidarlo wrote: »
    Been a FIFA player for the last 4/5 years after being a loyal pes fan before. Havent played it for years but gave the demo a go and was pretty impressed, interesting to see how the fifa demo looks later this week. Quick piece on the demo https://www.the-newshub.com/gaming/pes-2017-demo-review

I'm a life long PES fan but I did make the switch for the version before last (FIFA 15). I was surprised by how decent the gameplay was and the game mode is just in a different league (pardon the pun). However I went back to PES for the '2016' version and it was easily the best football game i've ever played.