Why have Macmillan hijacked the Ice Bucket Challenge

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    Read this:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/08/25/macmillan-cancer-defends-itself-after-allegations-it-has-attempted-hijack-als-ice

The charity claims that it was their original idea, having started the ice bucket craze way back last month.

Their tweet says:

.@CherryWallis @MylesDyer Just to clarify our supporters have been doing the challenge since early July, long before ALS one started

:confused:

They are blatantly lying and trying to cover their tracks. The challenge started in the USA to raise money for ALS, because that's what having the disease feels like to a sufferer, having a bucket of freezing cold ice water thrown over your head.

I wonder how Macmillan would feel if another charity muscled in on their coffee mornings? I can't imagine they'd be best pleased...
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    MND have over £7m in the bank and pay nearly £5m to staff, hardly struggling. Just look at their accounts.

I've supported Macmillan since my father and brother received some of the best treatment I have ever seen.

I know nothing about MND:blush:

How much do Macmillan have in the bank? £7m will be a drop in the ocean compared to the huge amount Macmillan rake in. I read last night that for every £1 donated to Macmillan, only 13p actually goes towards the nurses. Assuming that is true, it makes me glad I give to lesser known charities.

The last part of your post shows perfectly why Macmillan were so wrong to do what they have done regarding the Ice Bucket Challenge. You're an older man so have been around a few years (trying to put it as politely as possible, sorry! :D) but have no knowledge of Motor Neurone Disease. This campaign has raised awareness of the disease and many people who, like you, knew nothing about it will hopefully now have some knowledge about what it is and how it affects people. As others have said, a MND diagnosis is a death sentence.

The link gives information about what Motor Neurone Disease is.

http://www.mndassociation.org/what-is-mnd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    They are blatantly lying and trying to cover their tracks. The challenge started in the USA to raise money for ALS, because that's what having the disease feels like to a sufferer, having a bucket of freezing cold ice water thrown over your head.

I wonder how Macmillan would feel if another charity muscled in on their coffee mornings? I can't imagine they'd be best pleased...

Some people are claiming it was started by a cancer charity in New Zealand, and Macmillan tweeted about it early July, before the ALS challenge became big. Either way Macmillan started aggressively pursuing it after the ALS challenge became big, so even if they didn't hijack it, they've acted immorally in how they've pursued it...
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I support Macmillan, but this hijacking of a fundraising idea for a lesser known charity isn't endearing. Almost everyone knows someone living with cancer. Motor Neurone Disease/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is, thankfully, a much rarer condition. But the charity needs money for research, urgently. There could be a cure, or at least a way of managing the disease to allow sufferers to have quality of life. Cancer is no longer a death sentence for most people. MND/ALS shouldn't be either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I support Macmillan, but this hijacking of a fundraising idea for a lesser known charity isn't endearing. Almost everyone knows someone living with cancer. Motor Neurone Disease/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is, thankfully, a much rarer condition. But the charity needs money for research, urgently. There could be a cure, or at least a way of managing the disease to allow sufferers to have quality of life. Cancer is no longer a death sentence for most people. MND/ALS shouldn't be either.

It's really left a sour taste in my mouth. MND is rarer an cancer (thankfully), but it's a death sentence. Most cancer is now curable if caught early enough, but someone with MND WILL die a horrible death. It's inevitable.

I also think people misunderstand what. Macmillan do. Macmillan provide support and advice for all cancer patients, but it's the Marie Curie nurses who go into peoples homes and nurse patients in their dying days. I'm not taking anything away from Macmillan, but I hear so many people go on about the Macmillan nurses daring for dying people, and it's completely wrong.
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I think that if somebody does the ice bucket challenge and decides to donate to Macmillan or any other charity than that is their choice and they're free to do so. My problem is when people donate to Macmillan because that's the charity that they think the challenge is in aid of. Even if Macmillan did start it first, it became viral and huge due to the celebrities doing it in the name of ALS/MND, and people should know that when they do the challenge.

My Aunt and godmother died from MND several years back and its an illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've also had relatives, including my mother, die from cancer so I do support both charities. I just think its poor form from Macmillan to hijack a popular craze like this for an illness that needs the awareness and funds and has less resources to get them.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Oh god, I just watched it & I'm crying. Please, anyone who thinks it's ok for MacMillan to hijack this...if you have a heart......please watch this.

Oh Mum..........:cry: I miss her so much
    I've watched it, it's heartbreaking. Your poor mum. If the suffering can be eased for others, through research, then please, everyone, donate to MNDA.

http://www.mndassociation.org/get-involved/donations/Donate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kalmia wrote: »
    I think that if somebody does the ice bucket challenge and decides to donate to Macmillan or any other charity than that is their choice and they're free to do so. My problem is when people donate to Macmillan because that's the charity that they think the challenge is in aid of. Even if Macmillan did start it first, it became viral and huge due to the celebrities doing it in the name of ALS/MND, and people should know that when they do the challenge.

My Aunt and godmother died from MND several years back and its an illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've also had relatives, including my mother, die from cancer so I do support both charities. I just think its poor form from Macmillan to hijack a popular craze like this for an illness that needs the awareness and funds and has less resources to get them.

It's very, very unethical and has altered my view of Macmillan. I think the defensive way in which they've responded to the criticisms hasn't helped things either.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people should be able to donate to whichever charity they choose. I have seen quite a few for CCUK (Crohns and Colitis UK). I shall be donating to a charity of my choice should I be nominated.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    allaboard wrote: »
    I think people should be able to donate to whichever charity they choose. I have seen quite a few for CCUK (Crohns and Colitis UK). I shall be donating to a charity of my choice should I be nominated.

Completely agree. People should donate to whichever charity they feel deserves their money not some childish discussion about who started it. The moaners should be ashamed.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's also strange that people have to be nominated / prompted into donating to whichever charity.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree. People should donate to whichever charity they feel deserves their money not some childish discussion about who started it. The moaners should be ashamed.

The discussion is about Macmillans advertising tactics. Not about who people donate too.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do relaise that only about 25% of the money goes to research right? they are using the rest to write off tax and stick in pockets.

Its an awful thought but most charities are actually just ways to earn money. Look at the actual amount of money given to research for say breast cancer, and compare that to how much they raise. Most of that money is lining someones pocket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Oh god, I just watched it & I'm crying. Please, anyone who thinks it's ok for MacMillan to hijack this...if you have a heart......please watch this.

Oh Mum..........:cry: I miss her so much

People should donate to whoever they want, I hate this "hijack" term. I have seen people to this for Animal Charities, Cystic Fibrosis and many other cancer charities. Who cares as long as charities whatever they be are benefitting.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but people aren't paying for adverts to redirect funds to them like Macmillan are.

Why else would googling " ALS ice bucket challenge" bring up a link to Macmillan?

There's also the very obvious point that people are missing, the reason ALS chose the ice bucket is because of the sensation linked to the symptoms of ALS.

And even if other charities are closer to people they need to bear this in mind.

For example I'm in the middle of fundraising for Action for ME by doing the Great North Run but I wouldn't dream of donating to AfME for the ice bucket challenge because it's called the ALS ice bucket challenge, ergo it's for ALS.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are claiming it was started by a cancer charity in New Zealand, and Macmillan tweeted about it early July, before the ALS challenge became big. Either way Macmillan started aggressively pursuing it after the ALS challenge became big, so even if they didn't hijack it, they've acted immorally in how they've pursued it...

If this is true, then shouldn't you equally think the ALS charity is just as immoral? If they "hijacked" a smaller NZ's charity's fundraising idea, put their larger resources behind marketing it and made lots of money, then aren't they just as guilty of taking away funds from the smaller NZ charity? Isn't that just the same as what people are accusing McMillan of doing?

The wiki article on it posted earlier in the thread suggests that no-one is quite sure which charity started it and that it also evolved out of a challenge originally just used cold water, instead of iced water.

In which case, we just have a raft of different sized charities trying to use an idea to raise money. So just donate to whomever you personally want to donate to.
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    If this is true, then shouldn't you equally think the ALS charity is just as immoral? If they "hijacked" a smaller NZ's charity's fundraising idea, put their larger resources behind marketing it and made lots of money, then aren't they just as guilty of taking away funds from the smaller NZ charity? Isn't that just the same as what people are accusing McMillan of doing?

The wiki article on it posted earlier in the thread suggests that no-one is quite sure which charity started it and that it also evolved out of a challenge originally just used cold water, instead of iced water.

In which case, we just have a raft of different sized charities trying to use an idea to raise money. So just donate to whomever you personally want to donate to.

Very well put.

Charities have to compete with each other for donations, so unless its copyright then anything is fair game and people will make their own minds up.
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just pointing out why your argument is so illogical.

ALS are an american charity, they didn't invent the challenge and have not claimed any exclusive right over it. Who are you to decide which charities are deserve support and which don't? It is up to an individual donor to decide.

Well said! The outrage over who people choose to donate to is beyond a joke. I'll donate to which ever charity I choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . For example I'm in the middle of fundraising for Action for ME by doing the Great North Run but I wouldn't dream of donating to AfME for the ice bucket challenge because it's called the ALS ice bucket challenge, ergo it's for ALS.
    You should donate to a charity close to your heart, don't be led by a media & Facebook frenzy.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Well said! The outrage over who people choose to donate to is beyond a joke. I'll donate to which ever charity I choose.

Its not outrage towards who people donate too.

Its outrage at Macmillan for their advertising over it

Did you even read the thread?

You have the same argument as others who clearly never read it either. No one has said donating to Macmillan is wrong in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »

You have the same argument as others who clearly never read it either. No one has said donating to Macmillan is wrong in any way.

I do not see any problem in Macmillan promoting donating to them as an option. Advertising their donation code and number is welcomed by those of us that choose to donate to Macmillan.
    Forum Member
    Newcastle wrote: »
    I do not see any problem in Macmillan promoting donating to them as an option. Advertising their donation code and number is welcomed by those of us that choose to donate to Macmillan.

Fully agree, charities need to advertise themselves as much as profit making companies do. Its not as though MacMillan claimed exclusivity over it themselves.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very, very unethical and has altered my view of Macmillan. I think the defensive way in which they've responded to the criticisms hasn't helped things either.

I've found their whole attitude towards it so unpleasant, it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

It's a shame because Macmillan are obviously a fantastic charity in their own right who do invaluable work, but the way they've behaved over this has rather shocked me.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »

Are you outraged at the US ALS charity for their advertising over this, considering it has been suggested they weren't the charity to start the ice bucket challenge? If they appropriated the challenge from another charity and used it to massively push their own funding, should we all boycott charities fundraising for ALS/MND?

This whole outrage is stupid. Donate to a charity you feel you want to donate to. They're all trying to do good work. No one charity owns this ice bucket challenge. The charity that people are treating as being "ripped off," by the other charity may well have also "ripped off," a smaller charity for their own ends, too.

to be honest, I'm sick of the whole thing and its misguided moral superiority. Donate to a charity that means something to you and not because a social media meme tells you to.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why else would googling " ALS ice bucket challenge" bring up a link to Macmillan?

Have you actually tried Googling that recently?