Best 3D TV under £400

lambylamby Posts: 3,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey

Looking at upgrading our 42 inch LG TV for a 42 inch 3D.

With all the sales around, what model TV's are worth looking at and tracking the price of?

I watch Netflix and Sports via my PC and also DVD's/ BluRays.

Is LCD different to LED?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    Is LCD different to LED?

No, LED is just a variant of LCD, and probably all current ons are LED anyway (and have been for some time).
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, LED is just a variant of LCD, and probably all current ons are LED anyway (and have been for some time).

I got my TV about 4 years ago and have noticed the movement isn't as crisp as newer ones, why is this?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my TV about 4 years ago and have noticed the movement isn't as crisp as newer ones, why is this?

LED refers to the way the screen is lit up behind the LCD display. Your TV will have back lighting using technology similar to that used by fluorescent tube lighting you may have in your kitchen.

It's major advantage is led backlighting (in common with domestic lighting is that LED lighting is even more energy efficient than fluorescent (gas discharge) low energy lighting. LED back lit LCD TV's use significantly less energy than CCFL back lit displays.

Most of the motion artefacts you see on older LCD TV's is down to the speed at which lcd's react to a change in input. LCD technology has advanced such that they now react much more quickly so improving the ability to keep up with moving objects.

Amongst other electronic trickery this ability can be used by electronic processing to create additional frames by comparing adjacent frames to guess the position of moving objects to create extra frames so increasing the frame rate delivered to the display.

LCD quality has improved in leaps and bounds compared to 4 or 5 yrs ago. However as usual you need to buy a quality maker. The el cheapo TV's will use the older technology (hence the price).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LED refers to the way the screen is lit up behind the LCD display. Your TV will have back lighting using technology similar to that used by fluorescent tube lighting you may have in your kitchen.

It's major advantage is led backlighting (in common with domestic lighting is that LED lighting is even more energy efficient than fluorescent (gas discharge) low energy lighting. LED back lit LCD TV's use significantly less energy than CCFL back lit displays.

Most of the motion artefacts you see on older LCD TV's is down to the speed at which lcd's react to a change in input. LCD technology has advanced such that they now react much more quickly so improving the ability to keep up with moving objects.

Amongst other electronic trickery this ability can be used by electronic processing to create additional frames by comparing adjacent frames to guess the position of moving objects to create extra frames so increasing the frame rate delivered to the display.

LCD quality has improved in leaps and bounds compared to 4 or 5 yrs ago. However as usual you need to buy a quality maker. The el cheapo TV's will use the older technology (hence the price).

What manufacturer do you recommend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the Blaupunkt Art 5 42 Inch TV for £389. Is this any good?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might have been if you were not all ready using an LG but I would stay with LG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK cool will keep an eye out tomorrow... Then on Boxing Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PANASONIC will be better than Blaupunkt not sure about pixmania though?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Good models for your shortlist would be the Samsung UE40H6400, Sony KDL-40W605B, LG 4242LB585V. The LG 42LB730V although more expensive is slightly lesser rated than the much cheaper 585V. Do not buy the Blaupunkt they're shit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi,

Good models for your shortlist would be the Samsung UE40H6400, Sony KDL-40W605B, LG 4242LB585V. The LG 42LB730V although more expensive is slightly lesser rated than the much cheaper 585V. Do not buy the Blaupunkt they're shit.

I should of said I'm looking at 42".

That LG isn't 3D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call a 3D TV necessarily an upgrade! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a 3D TV necessarily an upgrade! :)

We want to join the 3D club though! :p

But seriously, any models anyone can recommend, let me know. I see the LG isnt as good, the screen reflects light and black looks grey.

Is Panasonic the best to go for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For best looking Blacks get a Sony or Samsung TV.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    For best looking Blacks get a Sony or Samsung TV.

My new panasonic has pretty darn good blacks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new panasonic has pretty darn good blacks.

What model is that?

Thinking of going to RIcher Sounds to take a look.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I should of said I'm looking at 42".

You did say it in the OP but the problem is that not all manufacturers make a 42". Samsung don't. If you're thinking of going to Richer Sound have a look at my post #11 in this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2028343. Really £400 is rock bottom price for a good TV and especially if you want 3D. The best 3D processing will be on the most expensive TVs where the sense of depth will be an awesome experience. On cheap TVs it will be flat and disappointing and you will soon tire of it.

If you do go ahead with a demo then ask Richer Sound if they have a 3D blu-ray in stock (they should have some good ones), then see the difference between a £400 TV and a near the top of the range £1000 one (at the same distance as you would be at home).

If it was me then the models I'd be looking at for outstanding picture quality (at £400) would be the 40 inch Samsung and Sony in my first post but 3D is another matter entirely. If the TV HAS to be 42 inch, although I don't see why 42 inch is cast in stone, to be honest, then you are restricting your options unnecessarily.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    What model is that?

Thinking of going to RIcher Sounds to take a look.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx40as640b-201406183815.htm

Absolutely love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm just really worried going from 42"-40" will be a big drop.

£449 might be achievablefor that 40" though
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    I'm just really worried going from 42"-40" will be a big drop.

Depends if he already has a 42?, if so a modern 40 will look tiny - as modern sets have little surround to them. If you're replacing a 42, you really want a 46 or 47 to look a similar size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if he already has a 42?, if so a modern 40 will look tiny - as modern sets have little surround to them. If you're replacing a 42, you really want a 46 or 47 to look a similar size.

I have 42 atm, sitting about 8ft away from the TV.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Dry joint?