Options

Film4 HD

bensterbenster Posts: 419
Forum Member
will we see film4 HD on freesat or have sky tied it into a contract, would be a good addition to freesat

Comments

• Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    There are no plans to add Film4 HD onto Freesat at the moment. It is currently tied into carriage deals with Sky and Virgin as a pay TV service. But so was Film4 (SD) once upon a time, so things might change over the next few years.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benster wrote: »
    will we see film4 HD on freesat or have sky tied it into a contract, would be a good addition to freesat

It's not necessarily tied in to a contract. Channel 4 might actually want the money that comes from subscription charges.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It will be in the Sky Entertainment Extra+ package.
    When first decided Film4 was going to launch in HD, there was mutterings of Freesat but the fact is, the cost to launch isn't cheap and with the incentives Sky offer, there is no way a HD channel set up with Sky help will be FTA at launch (Unless its a BBC Channel then it has to be)
    Further down the line, i fully expect it to go FTA, for the time being, it will be a pay channel.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky wouldn't help pay for a BBC HD channel anyway. The fact that the BBC can afford to launch numerous FTA HD channels with a frozen licence fee suggests to me that Channel 4 and ITV could probably afford it too.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Sky wouldn't help pay for a BBC HD channel anyway. The fact that the BBC can afford to launch numerous FTA HD channels with a frozen licence fee suggests to me that Channel 4 and ITV could probably afford it too.

Thats a very good point!
  • Options
    Forum Member

ITV could do yes, they launched theirs for revenue only but Channel 4 simply cannot afford to launch without help.
    Its common knowledge afterall...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    ITV could do yes, they launched theirs for revenue only but Channel 4 simply cannot afford to launch without help.
    Its common knowledge afterall...

but if it went HD would it increase viewers?,some like me would just opt for the HD version,after all its the only watchable film channel on either freesat or freeview at 24 frames per second.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It just means that the BBC had it in their budget ... So it was allowed for when the LF renewal came up....
    But they did loose significant income on DTT mux B /PSB 3 as the fifth slot was not taken up.
    The BBC has always planned HD emission for its channels

What the others get up to..... But itv needs non advertising income ....
    But if Film4 HD gets DTT emission .. DSAT may not be far away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    janet owen wrote: »
    but if it went HD would it increase viewers?,some like me would just opt for the HD version,after all its the only watchable film channel on either freesat or freeview at 24 frames per second.

I know id more inclined to watch it if it was in HD
    Im a movie buff but SD films are not great to watch, especially when you see what HD can deliver and what Blu-Ray can too.
    It will be 25FPS though.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Film 4 HD will be behind a pay wall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I know id more inclined to watch it if it was in HD
    Im a movie buff but SD films are not great to watch, especially when you see what HD can deliver and what Blu-Ray can too.
    It will be 25FPS though.

Ah yes, I was thinking of the cinema 24fps wow & flutter etc.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware.... on my SKY+HD Box anyway.

Not sure what happens on Freesat.

Film 4 SD on the EPG, which was on 315, is not automatically replaced by 315 Film 4 HD.

Any preselected recordings on Film 4 SD on 315, stay on Film 4 SD, now on 342.

You need to reset your timer recordings to Channel 315, to record in HD.

And remove any timers set for Film 4 SD, now on 342.

The same above goes for Favourites, needing to select Film 4 HD as a favourite, instead of Film 4.

All the above, assumes a SKY+HD Box, with a HD recording Subscription
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    All the above, assumes a SKY+HD Box, with a HD recording Subscription
    Which means it has nothing to do with Freesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which means it has nothing to do with Freesat.

Hence..............

Be aware.... on my SKY+HD Box anyway.

• Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing happens on freesat because Film4 HD isn't launching on freesat.

I'm actually surprised to see a thread here on it as I don't think it's even launched on Sky yet, and will be a subscription channel for a number of years first.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Nothing happens on freesat because Film4 HD isn't launching on freesat.

I'm actually surprised to see a thread here on it as I don't think it's even launched on Sky yet, and will be a subscription channel for a number of years first.

It has launched today and the HD channel is now on Sky.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film4 HD launched on SKY today Monday 2nd September 2013.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,604
    Forum Member
    Perhaps this thread can be closed or moved to the Sky forum as not applicable to freesat users.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    There are no plans to add Film4 HD onto Freesat at the moment. It is currently tied into carriage deals with Sky and Virgin as a pay TV service. But so was Film4 (SD) once upon a time, so things might change over the next few years.

Film4 was never a pay channel. It replaced Film Four which was a stand-alone premium channel and like Sky Movies showed films without commercial breaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I remember paying about £7 a month to get it in the year 2000. You used to get a nice little monthly booklet through the post too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no adverts!

It was marketed at the time as the Film Four channel now being free to air, I remember getting a letter about it. They didn't present it as one channel closing and another starting up.
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I hope we get Film4 HD sooner rather than later. There must be a considerable audience out there to tap into with a decent free HD film channel considering how many people are happy to pay for Netflix.

Freesat could then market themselves as having a free HD movie service, get a HD sports channel on board and the marketing will really look more credible.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unreal wrote: »
    I hope we get Film4 HD sooner rather than later. There must be a considerable audience out there to tap into with a decent free HD film channel considering how many people are happy to pay for Netflix.

Freesat could then market themselves as having a free HD movie service, get a HD sports channel on board and the marketing will really look more credible.

But would Film4 and a Sports channel want to give their channel away for free if they are getting paid on Virgin/Sky?
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky wouldn't help pay for a BBC HD channel anyway.

They did for the 24 extra Olympic channels back in 2012 (before this post)! When there is a viable financial benefit almost anything is possible. Let's face it, Pick and Challenge are only there fta because they are promos for Sky itself in the hope of attracting more subscribers.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Unreal wrote: »

But how would Freesat (or anyone) make money out of that?