Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    ha, well by all accounts it was an awful show, so....^_^

Think I'll skip it now that I know the winners. :p :kitty:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dick Poop is trending on Twitter. Dick Poop is finally getting the recognition he deserves. :D
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching the Critics Choice Awards just now cause I'm sad and bored. I hope Patricia Arquette doesn't stand on stage at the Oscars reading from a bit of paper
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen American Sniper, so can now honestly say I am bemused by Cooper's apperence in the best actor list. It's a solid enough performance, but really nothing special. I think the film just about merits its place on the best picture list though.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Academy Awards the kind of event where the bookies sometimes get it massively wrong, or is it usually a pretty safe bet that a hot favourite will take the prize? Can't say I've ever followed it particularly closely in the past.

I've been able to see most of the films in the running for the top prizes. I thought Boyhood was very good, but I think I actually preferred Birdman and Foxcatcher. Was surprised the latter didn't get a nod for Best Picture.

Been a very good year for films thus far. Looking forward to Whiplash tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are the Academy Awards the kind of event where the bookies sometimes get it massively wrong, or is it usually a pretty safe bet that a hot favourite will take the prize? Can't say I've ever followed it particularly closely in the past.

I've been able to see most of the films in the running for the top prizes. I thought Boyhood was very good, but I think I actually preferred Birdman and Foxcatcher. Was surprised the latter didn't get a nod for Best Picture.

Been a very good year for films thus far. Looking forward to Whiplash tomorrow.

The bookies usually get it more or less right. But there are always some surprises. Like Argo and Crash winning best film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bookies usually get it more or less right. But there are always some surprises. Like Argo and Crash winning best film.

I'd just add, at THIS stage in awards season they are normally quite relaible, because the odds are driven by the outcome of the precursors, like the guilds, critics choice and golden globes, and these tend to be reflect of the direction the oscars will go.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crash winning was a surprise, Argo wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Crash winning was a surprise, Argo wasn't.

Yeah, I didn't clock that, although Lincoln was favorite at the start of awards season, Argo pretty soon overtook it as favorite once the awards for it started flowing in (in particular, it won at BAFTA, Critics Choice, PGA and Golden Globes).

The surprise re: Argo is Affleck missing the nomination for direction - I still think the direction is the strongest element of the film.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Agreed

He and Logan Lerman in Fury were the best young actors in films this past year and both have been ignored.

For a brief time, there seemed to be a little bit of Oscar buzz surrounding Logan Lerman for his role in Fury. I remember seeing several interviews with him where the interviewer brought up the possibility of a Supporting Actor nod. I guess it petered out. I still can't believe he didn't even score a nomination for Best Male Lead at the Independent Spirit Awards for his role in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. He deserved at least that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some familiar looking winners at the London Critics Circle Film Awards:

FILM OF THE YEAR
    Boyhood

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
    Leviathan

BRITISH FILM OF THE YEAR
    Under the Skin

DOCUMENTARY OF THE YEAR
    Citizenfour

ACTOR OF THE YEAR
    Michael Keaton (Birdman)

ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

SUPPORTING ACTOR OF THE YEAR
    J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Patricia Arquette - (Boyhood)

BRITISH ACTOR OF THE YEAR
    Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner)

BRITISH ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl & What We Did on Our Holiday)

YOUNG BRITISH PERFORMER OF THE YEAR
    Alex Lawther (The Imitation Game)

DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
    Richard Linklater (Boyhood)

SCREENWRITER OF THE YEAR
    Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)

BREAKTHROUGH BRITISH FILMMAKER
    Yann Demange ('71)

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
    Under the Skin - Mica Levi, score

DILYS POWELL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN FILM
    Miranda Richardson

Nice quote from Richard Linklater's speech: "I divide the world into two camps: there's everybody else, and there are people who love movies."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Now I haven't seen all the films in this years best picture category, but I must say, I am honestly baffled to why Jake Gyllenhaal is not among the running for best actor.

His performance in Nightcrawler was just incredible. I was so blown away by it, so it's disappointing to see him not in with the chance of winning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr__T wrote: »
    Now I haven't seen all the films in this years best picture category, but I must say, I am honestly baffled to why Jake Gyllenhaal is not among the running for best actor.

His performance in Nightcrawler was just incredible. I was so blown away by it, so it's disappointing to see him not in with the chance of winning.

At the start of award season (indeed in the 3rd post in this thread!) I kind of figured he might miss out because the performance might be a bit too "dirty" for the academys taste, but as the award season progressed and he was making so many short lists I honestly thought he was going to make it. I defintly think he deserves a place in the final five, but I think there is some rationale behind it, however illogical it may seem.

Don't despair though, word has it that 2015 is going to be a great year for Gyllenhaal, so next award season it might well be his turn.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen American Sniper, so can now honestly say I am bemused by Cooper's apperence in the best actor list. It's a solid enough performance, but really nothing special. I think the film just about merits its place on the best picture list though.

It wouldn't be a complete surprise if he won at this point either.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the start of award season (indeed in the 3rd post in this thread!) I kind of figured he might miss out because the performance might be a bit too "dirty" for the academys taste, but as the award season progressed and he was making so many short lists I honestly thought he was going to make it. I defintly think he deserves a place in the final five, but I think there is some rationale behind it, however illogical it may seem.

Don't despair though, word has it that 2015 is going to be a great year for Gyllenhaal, so next award season it might well be his turn.

Next award season Michael Fassbender will be performing in the tragedy of Macbeth for us. Wonder if it's too early to bet on that? ;-)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

He's not going to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

I think it really would, tbh. Even with the positve late momentum for AS, I doubt he can place higher than 4th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member

I've only seen Birdman and American Sniper from the films in the best picture category. i thought both Keaton and Cooper were excellent but neither were better than Gyllenhaal's imo.

If he got totally snubbed and not even in the running for best actor this year after a performance like that. I don't hold the same enthusiasm as you do for him winning next year as you do:cry:

Can someone fill me in on how the voting is done at the Golden Globes or Oscars.. Do the public get to vote in these?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only seen Birdman and American Sniper from the films in the best picture category. i thought both Keaton and Cooper were excellent but neither were better than Gyllenhaal's imo.

If he got totally snubbed and not even in the running for best actor this year after a performance like that. I don't hold the same enthusiasm as you do for him winning next year as you do:cry:

Can someone fill me in on how the voting is done at the Golden Globes or Oscars.. Do the public get to vote in these?

No. The Hollywood Foreign Press members vote for the GG's and Academy members vote for the Oscars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of a lull in awards season, we have the Producers Guild of America Awards later today, which tend to be highly indicative of the Best Picture winners. The general expecation is for a Boyhood win.

Then tomorrow is the Screen Actors Guild. The ensemble award is typically seen as being the equivalant of their Best Picture award, but the very small central cast that Boyhood has makes that slightly more problematic to predict this year. It would seem to be between Boyhood, Birdman and TGBH - I think TGBH could be a slightly surprising winner here, we will see. The actor/actress and supporting actor/actress award I would see going to the names who have dominated this award season, though I think Redmayne has a higher chance of winning here than at the Golden Globes.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think only about 90 people vote in the Golden Globes, but several thousand get to vote at the Oscars.

I think Redmayne has a higher chance of winning here than at the Golden Globes.

Even though Redmayne won at the Golden Globes, I think he has less chance at SAG. Michael Keaton was in a different category there, and may be the bigger favourite now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think only about 90 people vote in the Golden Globes, but several thousand get to vote at the Oscars.

Even though Redmayne won at the Golden Globes, I think he has less chance at SAG. Michael Keaton was in a different category there, and may be the bigger favourite now.

I agree. Plus there seems to be a media backlash about Redmayne. Mainly over here though about his "privileged" Eton background. There was a funny joke last night on the Last Leg that for most of the film Redmayne just sits in a wheelchair doing nothing therefore the voice box should get the Oscar nomination not Redmayne. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha, I actually meant than at the oscars....:blush:

I do think he has more chance to win here than the oscars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Plus there seems to be a media backlash about Redmayne. Mainly over here though about his "privileged" Eton background.

Inverted snobbery is no better than the ordinary kind imho.