Conspiracy Theorists in overdrive over new photo from Mars Curiosity Rover

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Pareidolia

I actually meant what created the shadow. Nice try though.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

I don't know but logic suggests it aint a person.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member

What ever is there is what created it

Part of the machinery....
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are getting confused by the angle of the lighting - what we see is not the shape of mechanic's head but the various instruments etc sitting on top of it, with the addition of some confusing refraction through the visor, giving the illusion of 'holes'. It's quite obvious there is nothing suspicious going on, he is getting a replacement water bottle for the cooler. Or it's a robot.

Edit: the Pareidolians died along with the dinosaurs, as any fule kno.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Look on the bright side, at least it's not wearing an SS cap.

Well that would make a perfect Iron Sky 2.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Because NASA would totally release footage of something they wanted to keep secret.
    How would they partially release it?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are getting confused by the angle of the lighting - what we see is not the shape of mechanic's head but the various instruments etc sitting on top of it, with the addition of some confusing refraction through the visor, giving the illusion of 'holes'. It's quite obvious there is nothing suspicious going on, he is getting a replacement water bottle for the cooler. Or it's a robot.

I suppose that could be it. It does look incredibly like a human, or equivalent, thing. But yeah, it could be that.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Anybody else notice that the vast majority of CTs require there to be a perpetrator who's incredibly clever and devious while, at the same time, is also incredibly stupid and careless?

Yeah, it's always a shadowy cabal who are INCREDIBLE at organisation but really suck at PR.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    So...

Either there's a man in spacesuit on Mars, leading to the question 'Why bother sending an unmanned probe there at all if there are men there already?'

Or, if it is faked on Earth, why is the man in a spacesuit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Well that would make a perfect Iron Sky 2.

Yeah, that was my thinking. Although... have you seen this? DINOSAURS, DUDE. DINOSAURS.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    How would they partially release it?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/scsc.gif
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have spent million carrying out this clever hoax only to ruin it by all releasing a photo of a man servicing jit. How dumb would that be?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's Optimus Prime ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    They have spent million carrying out this clever hoax only to ruin it by all releasing a photo of a man servicing jit. How dumb would that be?

I blame Steve in the press department. STEVE, YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE JOB, STEVE.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    IF that photo has come from NASA and it hasn't been digitally altered, they could have a point. It does look like he has something strapped to his back though. NASA could have cocked up with this.

Edit: As for the scientists saying that it's just shadows that look like that, what could possibly create that shadow that wasn't a human/living thing that was the size of a human?
    But no helmet on?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now this is just dragging the thread down into absurdity.

Optimus Prime is an entirely different shape :p
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I blame Steve in the press department. STEVE, YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE JOB, STEVE.

Geez, cut the guy some slack.
    He was at lunch and Hank just had to have the picture right now and later today wouldn't be good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geez, cut the guy some slack.
    He was at lunch and Hank just had to have the picture right now and later today wouldn't be good enough.

I know that, AND I know he's got problems at home, but DAMMIT THIS WAS IMPORTANT.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only explanation for that photo is that the Yeti is trying to shag Johnny 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know that, AND I know he's got problems at home, but DAMMIT THIS WAS IMPORTANT.

Oh sure. Blame the little guy.

I guess it wasn't so important that they could have TWO people in the censorship office, right?
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I like how everyone assumes he (or she)'s repairing it. Might just be drawing a cock and balls on it.

To be fair, I dont know any women who'd draw a cock and balls on it. So, if it is a person, and it's a woman, they probably are repairing it. But if it's a bloke, I reckon he's just putting the finishing touches, drawing on the veins, and a drip on the end.

But no, it's unfortunately just a shadow of part of the machine. I'd so love to find out in 30 years time that there's a drawing on it:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sure. Blame the little guy.

I guess it wasn't so important that they could have TWO people in the censorship office, right?

You can blame Hussein Obama for that one. If he wasn't blowing the budget on Muslamifying the US, we could have afforded to keep Terry on instead of having him bugger off to SpaceX like he did. Mind you, his leaving party was cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can blame Hussein Obama for that one. If he wasn't blowing the budget on Muslamifying the US, we could have afforded to keep Terry on instead of having him bugger off to SpaceX like he did. Mind you, his leaving party was cool.

Yeah but it's just as well those pictures of the guys from the model shop mooning Curiosity didn't make it into the public domain.

And we still haven't got the stains out of the lunar landscape in sound-stage 4.

Next time we have a leaving party we should probably go ahead and book a Taco Bell rather than hosting it in the office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but it's just as well those pictures of the guys from the model shop mooning Curiosity didn't make it into the public domain.

And we still haven't got the stains out of the lunar landscape in sound-stage 4.

Next time we have a leaving party we should probably go ahead and book a Taco Bell rather than hosting it in the office.

Good thinking. I'll let Helen know so it's all organised in time to welcome Steve back from his "gardening leave".
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could be something to this.