The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad that Rafa is out but I think QF is a great result considering how little he has played in the last half year. He took defeat well - very classy. I had a feeling Berdy would get him, but thought it would go to at least 4 sets and be competitive.

I'd quite like Kei or Kyrgios to win this slam now.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadal fans trying to bait me now :D:p

As if there isn't good reason for me to doubt "injuries". If he says he was injured against Tomas, I will just laugh. You guys can lap it up though if you want :)
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    Really?!! Considering Rafa`s lack of competitive matches, over the last 7 months, I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

If all my faves, keep losing, I might end up supporting Andy!!

Also note that he has been given a drubbing both times he played a top 10 player since his comeback. So he still has a ways to go to reach that level.

I kind of felt people were getting ahead of themselves assuming he was going to make the final, I was pleased he made it to week 2!

Fun fact: If Berdych had lost, he would have lost 18 consecutive times to 1 player, a record he did not want judging by the way he played!
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Will Berdych take 3 sets in a grandslam match ever again against players of the calibre of Nadal, Djokovic or Murray?

And the answer is YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!
    Well done Tomas!!!!
    So pleased for him - seems like a great guy.
    :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!

I've just woken up and seen the score, well done Berdy.

Should Andy win his match, the semi final could be interesting. The media will have a field day with the coaching team stuff.

Andy has a good chance to win the AO this year, especially if Nole loses early. Nole is 3-0 against Andy here and leads the head to head 15-8, so obviously Andy would rather play someone else in the final. That being said, Nole has looked vulnerable at times and if he wasn't at his best Andy could beat him. Though I would hope for Nole not to be as woeful as he was in their Wimbly final :o

Would be nice for him to win the AO at least once, he plays so well here. If Djoko doesn't manage it, he is my pick but I would honestly be happy for everyone left to win. Well, maybe not Raonic. His game does nothing for me.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW!!!! Well done to Tomas, amazing to have the belief after so many losses in a row to Nadal! Nobody beats Tomas 18 times in a row hey!
    Glad to see he can put it together, he's always had the game to upset Nadal, but never can take it to him the full match and would wilt in the end. I'm happy for him and Dani, must be happy in their camp right now.

I don't mind who comes out from that side now, but think it may be nice for Tomas to get there, maybe against another who hasn't won one, even though I would love Stan to win it again in a match where it isn't about the other players injury and can REALLY celebrate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Paul Annacone coached Venus for a while early last year I think? If it wasn't Paul, did she have another high-profile coach?

I tried to google but all I came up with is that Paul coached Sloane Stevens for 8 months.

He coached Sloane at the beginning of last year, not Venus.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    WOW!!!! Well done to Tomas, amazing to have the belief after so many losses in a row to Nadal! Nobody beats Tomas 18 times in a row hey!
    Glad to see he can put it together, he's always had the game to upset Nadal, but never can take it to him the full match and would wilt in the end. I'm happy for him and Dani, must be happy in their camp right now.

I don't mind who comes out from that side now, but think it may be nice for Tomas to get there, maybe against another who hasn't won one, even though I would love Stan to win it again in a match where it isn't about the other players injury and can REALLY celebrate!

Love it. :D
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Also note that he has been given a drubbing both times he played a top 10 player since his comeback. So he still has a ways to go to reach that level.

I kind of felt people were getting ahead of themselves assuming he was going to make the final, I was pleased he made it to week 2!

Fun fact: If Berdych had lost, he would have lost 18 consecutive times to 1 player, a record he did not want judging by the way he played!

No one beats Thomas 18 consecutive times!! Well played TB.

I`m pinning all my hope's on Kei. That's probably the kiss of death for him lol!!
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    :) Just what I thought when I saw the i word. I might never use the i word again about Rafa, I can use an online thesaurus to throw in a bit of variety.

Are you supporting anyone else in the men's now the boy is out? I'm counting on Andy to get the job done now.

I'm watching the replay of Maria/Genie, and the commentator mentioned something Halep said in press. She said that she felt stressed and that a quarter final was enough, anybody else find that a bit worrying from her?

Jenny, I think you're my twin! I love this thread because I get to find out things about players that I wouldn't necessarily have enough interest to look up myself -"(]seansnotmyname". I'm looking at you!) but it can be predictably depressing at times regarding the boy.

I really don't have a favourite amongst those remaining on the mens' side. I wouldn't mind Tomas getting his first GS but I'm not particularly fussed which is good in a way because now I can just enjoy the tennis.

Like I said, I'm going to be concentrating on Venus and Serena now because I have always supported them. i would be so chuffed if Venus made it to the final. I really like her and wish her well.

BTW, I only just realised that you and Jenny Sawyer were different people. I hope I haven't said anything to either of you thinking you were one and the same...D'oh Jewels!:blush:
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    And the answer is YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!
    Well done Tomas!!!!
    So pleased for him - seems like a great guy.
    :D:D:D

i like Tomas - his twitter is always good fun. I'm glad he put the whole "Rafa fanboy" stuff to bed.
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    He coached Sloane at the beginning of last year, not Venus.

Yeah, so I understand. I really don't know where I got the idea from that Venus had hired a super coach after her diagnosis...:confused:

BTW - what's with Sloane? she seems to be regressing. I thought she would really make headway like Eugenie but seems not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Jenny, I think you're my twin! I love this thread because I get to find out things about players that I wouldn't necessarily have enough interest to look up myself -"(]seansnotmyname". I'm looking at you!) but it can be predictably depressing at times regarding the boy.

I really don't have a favourite amongst those remaining on the mens' side. I wouldn't mind Tomas getting his first GS but I'm not particularly fussed which is good in a way because now I can just enjoy the tennis.

Like I said, I'm going to be concentrating on Venus and Serena now because I have always supported them. i would be so chuffed if Venus made it to the final. I really like her and wish her well.

BTW, I only just realised that you and Jenny Sawyer were different people. I hope I haven't said anything to either of you thinking you were one and the same...D'oh Jewels!:blush:

Hi Jewels. There is a terrible picture of Venus in today's Times . She looks about 60. Can she and Maria meet in the final, I haven't checked the draw, but I think Maria will win that one
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling Berdych would finally do it this time, but I didn't think it would be THAT easy. Delighted him for him. Really hope he can go on and win the whole thing now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, so I understand. I really don't know where I got the idea from that Venus had hired a super coach after her diagnosis...:confused:

BTW - what's with Sloane? she seems to be regressing. I thought she would really make headway like Eugenie but seems not.

I don't know, are you maybe confusing it with the fact she actually changed her coach from her parents to her hitting partner around that time?

With Sloane, I think from reading her interviews she's very entitled and I don't think she's one to listen to anyone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves a bit with Berdy. He came across a very under par Rafa and capitalised. I can see a predictable collapse in the next round against Andy (or Kyrgios although that will be a more competitive match).

I'll wait to see him beat an in form Andy or Novak before passing judgment on his improvement.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you could be right, we do seem to agree an awful lot, although if you really were my twin you would have noticed that Jenny Sawyer was a different person! I'll try not to be offended. :D

It would be nice for Tomas to make the final, it always is after a big win, but it's Andy for me. I hope Eurosport repeat this match later cause i'm off out, could be a fun match too.

I have Serena's name on the trophy, (I took a course in engraving and everything, it's a done thing) I just can't see anyone beating her, it would be amazing if Venus does it though. She is such a great player and seems like a nice person too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the finals going to be shown on free TV anywhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Berdy becomes the third man to beat all of the big 3 at a slam, joining Muzza and Tsonga. Good stat for him :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves a bit with Berdy. He came across a very under par Rafa and capitalised. I can see a predictable collapse in the next round against Andy (or Kyrgios although that will be a more competitive match).

I'll wait to see him beat an in form Andy or Novak before passing judgment on his improvement.

I've seen a below par Rafa beat Tomas before. The big improvement here was that he held himself together mentally and play his game and well. That's a huge improvement right there.
  • shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like this match will be over in three sets, Murray is on cruise control at the moment and barely breaking a sweat. I really do feel with the draw opening up with Nadal out he could easily make his way to the finals against nole.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Are the finals going to be shown on free TV anywhere?

Yes both finals are on BBC 2 on Saturday at 8.25am and Sunday at 8.15am.

Andy seems to be enjoying himself out there. Kyrgios has nothing in his arsenal to trouble Andy. He's just toying with him.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like this match will be over in three sets, Murray is on cruise control at the moment and barely breaking a sweat. I really do feel with the draw opening up with Nadal out he could easily make his way to the finals against nole.
    Lets not say anything too soon. This is Andy we are talking about:D [fingers crossed]
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could be comfortable in all 3 sets as well the way things are going.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if he was injured. I hope he keeps quiet about it otherwise this thread will be unbearable for the foreseeable....:o:D

There can be no excuses really.

Nadal has possibly now entered that vulnerable age range. But clearly the better player on the day Berdych won, and by a concincing margin too which rules out injury as the reason he was beaten straight away.

Only the French Open title at best now for Nadal in terms of additional grand slam title win methinks, and perhaps not every single one there from now on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray just too much for Nick, don't see this getting past 3 sets.

Andy is in great form :)
This discussion has been closed.