Aquarium creepy crawlies

TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
Forum Member
Anyone know what these might be?

About 3mm in length and black or dark brown in colour, sort of oval shaped - don't think they're snails as I can't see shells on them.

I bought some new plants a couple of weeks ago and I think they must have got in that way. I looked in my fish book but it only really mentions fish parasites. These things are not attaching themselves to the fish or anything nasty like that, they just crawl up the glass, but I still don't like the look of them.

As soon as I spot one I siphon it out straightaway. Hopefully I can pick them off one by one before they can breed, and eradicate them that way, but wondered if anyone else has had them and knows what they are and if they are potentially harmful?

Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Not sure exactly WHAT they are, but the last time we had a tropical tank in, there were all kinds of creepis visible - normally under the gravel, and could be seen theough the glass at the bottom of the tank. I don't think they are harmfull at all, and in fact are probably very good for eating the waste produced by your fish. If they are not bothering the fish I'd say just don't be concerned.
    In the end.
    In the end it was the fish themselves that killed each other and all the fighting caused whitespot etc. I doubt those creatures had anything to do with it.
    If in doubt, why not go to the place you bought the fish or plants from and ask what they think?