La Roux Top 10 In The US!

Comments

• ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Ms. Burke is next.
    indeed, they'll love her!
    She's very boring in my opinion, very bland boring songs, probally on of teh biggest rappers will feature on the song. Bad Boys is boring and Flo Rida's bit was unesseary, All Night Long had the power to sosund good but it got a bit boring through the song and when pitbull came in became even worse, the only one i liked so far is broken heels which is atcully quite different and a superb track, if this one is released up there ill support it.

And who are these others you mention, and i think the only British artist we have at the moment that isgood enough to go Stateside is Florence and the Machine.

your always attempting to insult alexandra in every thread lmao, abit of a fail mate.
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your always attempting to insult alexandra in every thread lmao, abit of a fail mate.[/QUOTE]

i wasn't insulting her, it was an opionion that gives both positive and negative views of her,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wooohooo Well done Elly and Co I have long said that given time this will break the top 10. People laughed in my face, and to think that they've done it after a year of touring and promoting and working hard makes it even better.
  • rors401rors401 Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably make n dubz more determined. It's actually quite common now for british/irish acts to get top 10/20 hits in us and do quite good. The script were in the top 10 recently and mr Hudson. I guess the reason leona hasn't done quite as well in USA is because once you crack USA you must keep giving the same effort for every single and loads of promotion. Not sure if leona did that:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rors401 wrote: »
    This will probably make n dubz more determined. It's actually quite common now for british/irish acts to get top 10/20 hits in us and do quite good. The script were in the top 10 recently and mr Hudson. I guess the reason leona hasn't done quite as well in USA is because once you crack USA you must keep giving the same effort for every single and loads of promotion. Not sure if leona did that:(

I think Leona probably did more in terms of marketing. Her team and her were desperate to break that market. It just didn't work out La Roux have basically spread via word of mouth and the internet. It's only in the past few months have they really ramped up media appearances. At first the reception was Luke warm but you only had to visit some sites and bloggers who had seen La Roux live were raving about them. So when they did head back to the states I remember them announcing an extra set of dates for certain venues as the demand was so high and that snowballed and has now manifested itself into a top ten hit for La Roux.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news! Great achievement for La Roux, and great for true British talent.

I was listening to their album just last night, still sounds as brilliant as ever.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Fantastic news! Great achievement for La Roux, and great for true British talent.

I was listening to their album just last night, still sounds as brilliant as ever.

Non-manufactured act, also! Great news for La Roux :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Iceman09 wrote: »
    I think Leona probably did more in terms of marketing. Her team and her were desperate to break that market.

They did break that market the first time around, with her first album. The second time it didn't work out, it didn't really work out anywhere as the album and its singles were poorly received everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm83 wrote: »
    They did break that market the first time around, with her first album. The second time it didn't work out, it didn't really work out anywhere as the album and its singles were poorly received everywhere.

But what I found strange was how after 'Happy' was first played, everyone was absolutely raving about it, saying how brilliant it was, but then after it flopped they all seemed to change their minds and started saying it wasn't great. The exact same thing then happened with the album too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what I found strange was how after 'Happy' was first played, everyone was absolutely raving about it, saying how brilliant it was, but then after it flopped they all seemed to change their minds and started saying it wasn't great. The exact same thing then happened with the album too.

Happy is still the fan favourite song from the album, if I remember correctly. It's just they came to realise that it was not a good single choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member

If by everyone you mean hardcore fans, the yes everyone was raving about it. If the public thought it was great it wouldn't have flopped. The album and singles were poorly received by general public, casual music fans. I myself thought Happy was a "pretty" song but dull and completely devoid of any melody or hook and it was always going to be an uphill battle to make it a hit. As for the album I liked it initially but after about two weeks it didn't sound that great anymore. It's not an album you would want to listen to over and over and over again.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    well done elly jackson & ben langmaid = la roux
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    How did a thread on La Roux become all about Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis?

Only on DS.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm83 wrote: »
    If by everyone you mean hardcore fans, the yes everyone was raving about it. If the public thought it was great it wouldn't have flopped. The album and singles were poorly received by general public, casual music fans. I myself thought Happy was a "pretty" song but dull and completely devoid of any melody or hook and it was always going to be an uphill battle to make it a hit. As for the album I liked it initially but after about two weeks it didn't sound that great anymore. It's not an album you would want to listen to over and over and over again.

Yeah I did mean her fans
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »

LOL Good question :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »

Yeah lets get back on topic lol.I just hope other British artist realise that you don't necessarily need to collaborate with a hot shot hip hop producer from the states to make it big.

Also I know everyone bangs on about Elly and the live band but Ben Langmaid deserves even more praise. You only have to listen to the instrumentals to see how good he is at arranging. Add the superb vocals of Ms Jackson and you get bliss. People who criticise her for being to shrill should listen to Cover My Eyes, a beautiful ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvi8E60nS1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aATSuGNYibE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhNsl3jg17Y
    Forum Member
    iceman - i love la roux but her live 'band' are the pits but maybe they're cheap.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rors401 wrote: »

Lol I bet Tulisa will be fuming that 'barnyard born' Elly is in the US top 10. I don't think the US will take to N-Dubz in the music industry. Maybe they could start a freakshow, that might sell something :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    iceman - i love la roux but her live 'band' are the pits but maybe they're cheap.

I don't like her live band that much especially the woman Mickey, she's a bit of a bitch and is said to have an air or arrogance about her, especially since she's dating some actor! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for another Leona reference, but when she 'cracked' the States (albeit for a short time) she had the Cowell machine on her side to give her all the hype, promo, airplay (etc) she ever needed. La Roux don't have the same luxuries, they had to work much harder.
    Forum Member
    Iceman09 wrote: »
    I don't like her live band that much especially the woman Mickey, she's a bit of a bitch and is said to have an air or arrogance about her, especially since she's dating some actor! :)

the drummer's also full of himself - you should read his twitter: he said 'we're no 8 in the us charts' and i felt like tweeting back 'no your not elly is'. i think him and mickey think they ARE la roux. some of things they tweet are sooo arrogant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    the drummer's also full of himself - you should read his twitter: he said 'we're no 8 in the us charts' and i felt like tweeting back 'no your not elly is'. i think him and mickey think they ARE la roux. some of things they tweet are sooo arrogant.

But you have to give full props to Ben Langmaid who has been around a while now, but still refuses to appear in public much. The only time I have seen him make a public appearance was for the Heaven 17 documentary and the live session and even then he barely said anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I wouldn't imagine that Elly Jackson cares at all....Don't know her at all, but what I've seen from interviews, shes got an "i'm indie and i don't even want to be popular" attitude...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't imagine that Elly Jackson cares at all....Don't know her at all, but what I've seen from interviews, shes got an "i'm indie and i don't even want to be popular" attitude...

She probably doesn't but the fact that a lot of artist who do and have thrown lots of money a lot of people will. She's said it's about making music she likes and the next album is slated to be a concept album more likely to be less mainstream than not. But musicians like these are becoming less and less common place and them achieving commercial success is even less common.

But it gives her a lot leverage in terms of her record label and also its nice news for her fans ;)
  • timperry26timperry26 Posts: 1,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her, I don't like her as a person. But all the best of luck.

Bulletproof is good!