How do British Actors make a living ?

DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
Forum Member
I mean the ones on high volume shows like Eastenders and Emmerdale etc probably have it easiest

But what about actors who do the series with only 6 episodes per series ? I've posted before how 6 episodes for a non new show is not enough given economies of scale of getting the cast, crew and set together, i mean how hard can it be to write another 4 episodes to bring it up to 10 (still way short of the 22 eps per season in the US)

But these actors, how do they make a decent living ? they really need to be on 3-4 different shows a year which is some feat !

Comments

• best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do it by being like Olivia Colman, Helen Mirren etc. Being ridiculously over-rated and picked for a steady stream of roles by Luvvie Productions.
  • celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some do theatre.

With TV shows there will also be PR like interviews and promotion on chat shows, radio and with the written press.

Personal appearances opening shops, fan club appearances and attending drama workshops
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    How do British Actors make a living ?

By using the same creative accountants as Jimmy Carr, Chris Moyles & Gabby Logan....allegedly
    :p

Seriously though, I suspect many have second jobs, much like us mere mortals.
    When a role comes up, they simply negotiate time off or simply hand in their notice.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »
    I mean the ones on high volume shows like Eastenders and Emmerdale etc probably have it easiest

But what about actors who do the series with only 6 episodes per series ? I've posted before how 6 episodes for a non new show is not enough given economies of scale of getting the cast, crew and set together, i mean how hard can it be to write another 4 episodes to bring it up to 10 (still way short of the 22 eps per season in the US)

But these actors, how do they make a decent living ? they really need to be on 3-4 different shows a year which is some feat !

It goes without saying that the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant are paid well for just doing a 4-6 episode series.

As for the 'lesser actors' doing adverts, theatre, radio, having a part-time job away from acting or just having a husband or wife who has a good job themselves all helps with their annual income. Acting isn't a secure job unless you've really made it - ie Helen Mirren, David Tennant etc.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voice-over work for adverts, narrating documentaries, quite a lot of actors enjoy doing radio, some have developed their own businesses. I think the surviving Dad's Army actors, Ian Lavender and Frank Williams, live off the repeat fees ! And many still like doing live theatre although the pay is quite modest by comparison with TV.I think I read somewhere that at any given time 75% of actors are out of work !
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sizeable role on one tv series of six episodes would probably give an income more than minimum wage for the year, no?

I am sure I read somewhere the minimum weekly rate fir a six part series is £4000?

So if it takes six weeks to film that would be gross pay of £24,000

Ok not great but more than minimum wage pays in a year for only sis weeks work (excluding agent take off etc)

Also corporate training videos, I often see actors pop up on those.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    A sizeable role on one tv series of six episodes would probably give an income more than minimum wage for the year, no?.

This..
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They don't live lifestyles of the rich and famous, They shop in the same places as you and me.

But yes a yearly regular TV series, Say benidorm for example would keep the cast well paid enough that they could live off it until the next series.....As long as they don't go crazy with the money (The ones who only do benidorm)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect that most of them, who get a credit on a programme and maybe a few lines, aren't really full-time actors (except where their agents are concerned - if they have one) but have proper jobs which is where the majority of their income comes from.

It may well be that a lot of so-called actors have other jobs within TV production. Such as lighting or producing and they occasionally take a bit-part, rather than the show going through all the hassles of auditions, etc.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    I also wonder the same about some of these z-list celebrities who turn up on reality shows or quizzes.

They must have to live in or around London to be able to get to the studios etc, so they will be paying huge rents etc.

I am sure I read about an actress who did a long running sitcom, choosing not to carry on with a part in a movie series, as the filming clashed, and the money was better for the sitcom.
    Actors in a movie - apart from the huge stars who may get "points" (profit share) - get a flat fee (but can earn more from promo stuff, although again - that is just likely to be the big stars who get interviewed)

Whereas with a good agent they will get repeat fees from the original broadcaster, but also for repeats on satellite, on demand etc etc.

I did once see a documentary about Jerry Lewis the US comedian.
    He made an almost silent movie called "The Bellboy" as a "favour" for Paramount as they wanted a summer movie comedy, but Lewis had recently completed filming "Cinderfella" which was a Christmas film.

Lewis shot the film at the hotel he was appearing at with his one man show, and did it on a shoestring by agreeing to play extra shows in return for being able to use the hotel for filming.
    Paramount did not like the movie and refused to pay for it, so Lewis unusually ended up "owning" the negative and then "hiring" it to Paramount for release.
    This way Lewis did not get any fees, but got ALL the revenues worldwide, apart from Paramount's distribution fee, and as it was mostly a silent film it did huge business round the World.
    Lewis said in the doc that over the years he had earned around $300 million from that one film as he owned it outright.
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Not quite as good as their US counterparts is it though

I mean on the top of the food chain, you had Friends cast getting a million each per episode but any actor on a regular 22 season show e.g. How i met your mother would be making good money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Voice-over work for adverts, narrating documentaries, quite a lot of actors enjoy doing radio, some have developed their own businesses. I think the surviving Dad's Army actors, Ian Lavender and Frank Williams, live off the repeat fees ! And many still like doing live theatre although the pay is quite modest by comparison with TV.I think I read somewhere that at any given time 75% of actors are out of work !

I think it is nearer to 90% in the UK.
    Actors I know also work in teaching, bar and restaurant work, temping, offices, retail, child care while acting unpaid in am dram, street theatre, theatre in education, panto etc.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than 75% of UK actors earn less than £5,000 a year. Only 2% earn more than £20,000 a year.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2014/05/75-actors-earn-less-5k-per-year-survey/
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Pantomimes are really well paid apparently!! If your an an actor you can save them and live of them a bit! I used to work with one who did that and then worked when he couldn't get a job! Advertising is really well paid as is small bits in TV. Alrite work if you can get it!! No wonder they never want to leave "EastEnders"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Acting IMO should be a profession where you do different parts. Only the talented ones tend to manage this. The others stay put well within comfort zones.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acting IMO should be a profession where you do different parts. Only the talented ones tend to manage this. The others stay put well within comfort zones.

Lots of the supposedly talented ones seem to play similar parts much of the time.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some actors who leave soaps and get one job after another, but some leave and you never hear from them again.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    A few teach 'acting' to a class of 10-15 people in the hope of making a few quid too
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    A few teach 'acting' to a class of 10-15 people in the hope of making a few quid too

Which is ironic. If they were any good they'd always have acting work!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    Which is ironic. If they were any good they'd always have acting work!

yes because there are enough roles in UK film and TV to keep many thousands of actors employed every week of the year... i don't think.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being right for a part is a lot more than being talented enough.

If you can hold a tune, and have a profile from doing tv, and aren't afraid of a bit of hard work, you can earn an awful lot by doing pantomime. In fact, it's quite common for the bigger soap stars to negotiate their contract so they get time off to do panto each Christmas, because it pays better. The big money only comes if you are a 'name', but it's the time of year where every theatre is full two or three times a day for several weeks in a row.

The nature of acting is that they do bit work, so the sensible ones are used to it, and plan for it.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Being right for a part is a lot more than being talented enough.

If you can hold a tune, and have a profile from doing tv, and aren't afraid of a bit of hard work, you can earn an awful lot by doing pantomime. In fact, it's quite common for the bigger soap stars to negotiate their contract so they get time off to do panto each Christmas, because it pays better. The big money only comes if you are a 'name', but it's the time of year where every theatre is full two or three times a day for several weeks in a row.

The nature of acting is that they do bit work, so the sensible ones are used to it, and plan for it.

Ironically Aussie soap stars proved very popular with Panto producers and bring in the punters. Aussie soap actors are VERY poorly paid for their TV shows

I recall Esther Ranzten once saying when she did a panto on year that Panto producers hated having has-been British singers in the shows, as they would have to crowbar their "hits" into the show somehow.

There was a documentary about Keith Harris who also directs pantos.
    He said the Aussies were brilliant , as they have no idea what Panto is about, they just do what they are told and never argue.