[Request] Recording Programs NOT Screen

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there were any ways to record a specific program rather than my actual screen so I can still check out webpages / chat on facebook etc whilst recording an application like a game or somewhat?

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    What programs are you talking about? On what device?

As in YouTube? Netflixs? IPlayer?

On your Windows based computer? TV?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the question.
    Create a log file?
    'Record a game'? As in capture what was happening in the game to replay as a video later?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    screen recorders have an option to select which part of the screen you want to record from, and you can also size the window too!

HYPERCAM is probably the best known but there are others out there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sorry I guess I should have elaborated.

Basically, it's a dxd10 game. I want to be able to find a recording program that will record the program and not my desktop screen.

Most recording programs capture what we see as end users but for example lets say I had this game open and I opened up a webpage, I don't want the recorder to capture this happening, I want it to focus entirely on the game.

A similar situation would be a guy I was in contact with uses a similar thing for a game he plays, he applies chams to the game but has an editted version of fraps that captures the frames so basically the game renders 2 versions, the regular version and the version with chams. The fraps captures the regular version and what he sees on his screen is the chams version.
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    screen recorders have an option to select which part of the screen you want to record from, and you can also size the window too!

HYPERCAM is probably the best known but there are others out there

The game is a full screen application, so if I open another window it effects the recording.
    Forum Member
    Bump.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    full screen games take precedence over anything else the computer has open, so it would be pretty pointless to start switching WHILE recording!

if your game has a window'd option, that would be the answer .....
    Forum Member
    I understand your point but it'd just be helpful if such program existed where you pick what application you want the recorder to recorder rather than the screen or an area of the screen.

Does this exist?
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamBrown1 wrote: »
    I understand your point but it'd just be helpful if such program existed where you pick what application you want the recorder to recorder rather than the screen or an area of the screen.

Does this exist?

Have you tried searching for "recording directx"?
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Have you tried searching for "recording directx"?

Thanks for the reply.

Here's where it gets a little difficult. I'm injecting marks into it and they're showing up. I only want the original output from the game to be recorded, is this possible? I know it sounds a little complex but I know a few that have done it.

I'm willing to pay for this service.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you run the game in a virtual PC?
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Can you run the game in a virtual PC?

Edit - No, you can't.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't FRAPS do this? It records DirectX/OpenGL output.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a process called machinima that splices together extracts from computer games to make original videos. Try Googling that and see if you can find anything useful. Here's one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2owHx4njI

Are you so sad, that you want to watch what other people have been doing in one of these role playing games while you're asleep? :D
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Won't FRAPS do this? It records DirectX/OpenGL output.

Fraps captures everything including the injected marks.
    barbeler wrote: »
    There's a process called machinima that splices together extracts from computer games to make original videos. Try Googling that and see if you can find anything useful. Here's one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2owHx4njI

Are you so sad, that you want to watch what other people have been doing in one of these role playing games while you're asleep? :D

No lol and thanks but that doesn't seem to be related at all :o
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "injected marks"?