Which of these 37" LED TVs is best?

Hi,

I am looking for a non-3D sub-£500 37" LED TV and have narrowed it down to these three choices:

Samsung UE37ES5500
LG 37LS570T
Panasonic TX-L37E5B

Anyone have any views on which one is best?

I play a lot of PS3 so a good response time and motion handling would be important. I know you will never get good sound out of these thin TVs, but heard the Samsung's is quite good.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hello Nick, and welcome to DS.

Which? have tested all the TVs you mention and the LG is the clear winner scoring 70%, with the Samsung coming in 2nd at 65%, (both of these are Best Buys) and the Panasonic trailing at 59%. However the picture quality is best on the Samsung. Looking closely at the reviews, it's hard to see why Which score the Samsung lower than the LG. The only conclusion I can offer is that the LG has slightly better sound, supports ARC and has very wide viewing angles.

For my money though, unless ARC and very wide viewing angles are important to you, I'd go with the Samsung. The difference in the sound quality is negligible. If sound is important to you then look for a separate solution such as powered speakers, a sound bar, connection to a hi-fi, or surround sound.

The picture quality on the Panasonic is inferior to the others, especially on SD, so this takes it out of the running for me. But it has excellent accessibility features if someone in your family has poor vision, with audio description available separately through headphones, and an audio guidance feature developed by the RNIB.

There's quite a recent thread about 37 inch TVs if you search this forum and several (occasionally heated) discussions about which manufacturer is best...read and make your own mind up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the reply. Very good to know the Which? scores.

ARC and wide viewing angles are not important. I think the Samsung was my first choice anyway. I also think it's worth paying a bit more than Amazon and getting it with a five year guarantee from John Lewis.

The problem I've had with all this is im not interested in a 3D TV and I cannot go larger than 37 inch, so that takes Plasma out of the equation.

A Smart TV is also not essential due to me hooking up Sky On Demand and PS3. BUT finding a decent one without these features has been tough and I also quite like the idea of firmware updates from the Internet.

It also doesn't matter how thick/heavy the TV is, but I don't like the surrounds of most LCD TVs these days.

I currently have a 7 year old 32 inch 720p Toshiba which has been excellent until some of the pixels have started going. I have been spoilt with excellent sound from it too, which is something I will probably miss. I had looked at Toshiba too after this workhorse, but seems they have gone off the boil.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Forum Member
    Nick, I think you're right to buy from John Lewis to get the 5 year guarantee, but check prices from other online retailers with like-for-like deals, if you see anything cheaper you can invoke the John Lewis price match promise. Re firmware updates, this isn't always what it's cracked up to be. The update package will reset the picture and you'll regret you did it. With no way of saving your settings, other than writing them down or taking pics with a digicam, it can be frustrating. Approach with caution!

You'll be wanting this when you buy the TV to help set it up: http://www.avforums.com/home/pictureperfect.html
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    The Samsung UE37ES5500 is my personal favorite from those mentioned above. I'd also recommend the Samsung UE37ES6300 from their Series 6 TVs http://sveyo.com/2012/11/37-inch-samsung-series-6-es6300-3d-full-hd-smart-led-tv-review/ it is an outstanding TV with great picture quality and almost fully packed with features (including 3D...).
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I think it's going to be the Samsung and I will be careful with the firmware updates!

Interestingly, the 40 inch version (ue40es5500) is actually CHEAPER than the 37 inch at both Amazon and John Lewis. The John Lewis price is same as Amazon for the 40 inch so with the 5 year guarantee it makes it very tempting.

It's too large for our current front room, but with plans to move in the near future, it's probably worth going for the 40!
    Forum Member
    Having decided on a Samsung, I am now in two minds about which model to go for!

It's either the UE40ES6300 for £579.99 (at Amazon which is a LOT cheaper than John Lewis) or UE40ES5500 at £449.99 from John Lewis including 5 year guarantee.

Given I am not that fussed about 3D, and I am connecting via ethernet cable, does the picture quality difference make it worth paying £120 more for the 6-series?

Or are there other advantages over the 6-series compared to the 5-series I am missing?

Thanks for any help.
    Forum Member
    Hi Nick, Don't know why you started a new thread, one not enough for you?

Anyway, the answer (according to Which?) is that the 5500 is superior. They say that the 6300 is a 'so-so TV'. The HD picture is good (where the 5500 was impressive) but the SD is inferior to the 5500 as is the Freeview. The sound ain't so great either. So buy the 5500 before you have another think and decide you want a 46 inch TV instead.

Just for info, going through the Best Buys from all manufacturers, the only more highly rated 40 inch above the 5500 is the Samsung UE40ES6800 costing a minimum of £749, and that's only 1% better.

If you could afford it, the TV to go for would be the one I have, the Samsung UE40D6530. The 2D picture is superb. I've seen bigger but not better. The cheapest place to buy is at PowerDirect where they have limited stock selling at £600, where elsewhere it is £800, if you can get one that is.
    Forum Member
    I started a new thread with it being a narrower topic - might be something other people want to discuss rather than just about TVs in general.

Many thanks for the reply. I think I will monitor prices after Xmas and more than likely end up with the 5500. Cheers.
    Forum Member
    Bought the UE40ES5500 in the end - absolutely top TV!

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    Another happy customer. I should contact Samsung and see if they'll give me commission. Glad you like the TV, Nick, betcha glad you joined DS now!