Britney Spears was the biggest selling female artist of the 2000s

2»

Comments

• spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Britney. People knock her vocal ability but she's never claimed to be on Mariah's or Whitney's level. She's a pop star not a soul diva. She's a good, entertaining pop star and modern day icon! Btw, I don't know why so many don't seem to like her Circus album. It has some of my favourite songs on there, like Out From Under, Unusual You and Blur, as well as the singles. It's a consistently good album, I think.

Regardless of her singing or dancing abilities these days I think she's released consistently good music throughout her career that I really enjoy listening to. That's all I care about, enjoying her songs and videos. Britney is entertaining as an artist and likeable, and she's been through a lot and come out the other side in one piece so good on her. Looking forward to her next album.
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I love Britney. People knock her vocal ability but she's never claimed to be on Mariah's or Whitney's level. She's a pop star not a soul diva. She's a good, entertaining pop star and modern day icon! Btw, I don't know why so many don't seem to like her Circus album. It has some of my favourite songs on there, like Out From Under, Unusual You and Blur, as well as the singles. It's a consistently good album, I think.

I don't think Circus was terrible, it was just very by the numbers and regressive compared to Blackout. Her team was trying to clean up her image and re-introduce her to the public as America's sweetheart, so I get why they were trying to play it safe and remind people of the 'old Britney' but the music quality ultimately suffered because of that, I feel. I still like the album though, Unusual You, Trouble, Phonography and Mannequin are my favourites. If You Seek Amy is catchy, and I like Shattered Glass as well, though it feels unfinished.
    Regardless of her singing or dancing abilities these days I think she's released consistently good music throughout her career that I really enjoy listening to. That's all I care about, enjoying her songs and videos. Britney is entertaining as an artist and likeable, and she's been through a lot and come out the other side in one piece so good on her. Looking forward to her next album.

This. Her innate likeability makes people root for her and even when she's on autopilot and not performing at the same level she used to, I still find her more entertaining than any other pop star out there.

I just hope that for album eight, she starts to experiment more with her sound again like she did with Blackout. I'm sick of Dr Luke and Max Martin, their sound is stale now and she's already proven she can do great pop albums with different producers. Ideally, I'd love an ambient, ethereal sounding, almost dream pop album in the vein of And Then We Kiss, Unusual You and Breathe On Me. Here's hoping!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well rihanna really was the first ti incorporate dubstep on Rated R. Femme Fatale was probably the first album by an established mainstream artits to incorporate that style aswell as songs like How I roll going on to influence a whole load of others. So Britney remains the queen of avant garde pop undoubtedly :)

How I Roll is one of my favourite songs on Femme Fatale. Aren't Inside Out and Seal It With A Kiss from the same album kinda dubsteppy as well?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    I don't think Circus was terrible, it was just very by the numbers and regressive compared to Blackout. Her team was trying to clean up her image and re-introduce her to the public as America's sweetheart, so I get why they were trying to play it safe and remind people of the 'old Britney' but the music quality ultimately suffered because of that, I feel. I still like the album though, Unusual You, Trouble, Phonography and Mannequin are my favourites. If You Seek Amy is catchy, and I like Shattered Glass as well, though it feels unfinished.

This. Her innate likeability makes people root for her and even when she's on autopilot and not performing at the same level she used to, I still find her more entertaining than any other pop star out there.

I just hope that for album eight, she starts to experiment more with her sound again like she did with Blackout. I'm sick of Dr Luke and Max Martin, their sound is stale now and she's already proven she can do great pop albums with different producers. Ideally, I'd love an ambient, ethereal sounding, almost dream pop album in the vein of And Then We Kiss, Unusual You and Breathe On Me. Here's hoping!

You sum up my feeling about Circus. it's an album made to readress the balance clean up her image and get casuals back on bored. But overall its a bland backpedller of an album.

And Trip To Your Heart and Inside out for me CNBC love those tow songs :)
    Forum Member
    You sum up my feeling about Circus. it's an album made to readress the balance clean up her image and get casuals back on bored. But overall its a bland backpedller of an album.

And Trip To Your Heart and Inside out for me CNBC love those tow songs :)

I didn't mind Circus too much actually, but it's not as good as Blackout, Femme Fatale or In The Zone. Trip To Your Heart is a great summer song :cool: I really wish Britney would release the scrapped Original Doll or an urban/R&B album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind Circus too much actually, but it's not as good as Blackout, Femme Fatale or In The Zone. Trip To Your Heart is a great summer song :cool: I really wish Britney would release the scrapped Original Doll or an urban/R&B album.

I like Circus it's the album i go to when i want straight forward Pop Britney no cheese :p But it is as interesting or exciting as Blackout or FF or even ITZ. And i had this discussion before and whilst i would like to hear Original Doll a re-release/re-recording no. Simply as her whole mindset eveloution has moved beyond it and it would be a step back. An album like Original Doll in which she has control and is invested with an R&B sound would be great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally what I think Britney needs is a more mellow, laid back album with songs similar to 'Every time', 'Out From Under' and some self written tracks. A couple of mid tempo tracks like 'Boys' would be good as well to smooth it out. I can imagine it being a mix of Kylie Minogue - Body Language mixed with Dido. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Personally what I think Britney needs is a more mellow, laid back album with songs similar to 'Every time', 'Out From Under' and some self written tracks. A couple of mid tempo tracks like 'Boys' would be good as well to smooth it out. I can imagine it being a mix of Kylie Minogue - Body Language mixed with Dido. :)

I get you a few Outta This World like tracks would not go amiss either. i think what we most wnat and she most needs is her to have more investment and involvement and for ti to be honest and personal something not seen since Blackout.
    Forum Member
    I like Circus it's the album i go to when i want straight forward Pop Britney no cheese :p But it is as interesting or exciting as Blackout or FF or even ITZ. And i had this discussion before and whilst i would like to hear Original Doll a re-release/re-recording no. Simply as her whole mindset eveloution has moved beyond it and it would be a step back. An album like Original Doll in which she has control and is invested with an R&B sound would be great.

Didn't she try the urban/R&B sound before on In The Zone? It sounded quite good IIRC. An urban/R&B album would be something different from her. If you haven't checked it out already check out a fanmade album called Abroad. It's of some unreleased songs. You do have to download it from places you know who wouldn't approve of though ;)
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney Spears is one of the greatest pop stars of all time. Fifteen years since her brilliant debut '...Baby One More Time' she is still a force to reckon with in the music world and has continuously given hit record after hit record.

Musically she is stronger than ever, and if early buzz is anything to go by then Britney is set to be back bigger and better than ever with her 8th studio album.

As a performer what Britney achieved and showcased between 1999-2004 is incomparable to any other music star of recent times. Yes, granted that in recent years she has lost a lot of her energy and spark as a live performer, however she is still only 31 years old and has plenty of time to regain her momentum and once again show the world her natural ability to be one of the greatest live performers.

Britney has inspired a whole generation, she has set trends, she has set records.... love her or hate her, you simply can't deny her.
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing for someone who is not a very good singer in anyway ....gives hope to Cheryl cole , tulisa and so forth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might as well have someone else's name on the cover seeing how little she contributes to them.

She co-wrote most of the tracks on In The Zone and executive produced Blackout, the two albums generally considered to be her best.

Will.i.am is executive producing her new album and has mentioned he has meetings with her to discuss the direction of the album as well. She may not write her own songs but that doesn't mean she has no involvement in the album process. She still has to choose a creative direction and overall sound, find songs that fit the chosen direction and sound, record those songs, come up with the album art concept and then shoot the album artwork, among other things.

I fully admit she doesn't have as much involvement as some artists but so many people seem to write her off as some kind of robot who has everything done for her, which I think isn't fair or true.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well rihanna really was the first ti incorporate dubstep on Rated R. Femme Fatale was probably the first album by an established mainstream artits to incorporate that style aswell as songs like How I roll going on to influence a whole load of others. So Britney remains the queen of avant garde pop undoubtedly :)

No she wasn't. Britney executive produced Blackout and she put Freakshow on it, produced by Bloodshy & Avant, which is clearly dubstep influenced. This was in 2007, where Rated R was released in 2009. Rated R was more dubstep heavy, but Britney was the first to do pop with dubstep influences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No she wasn't. Britney executive produced Blackout and she put Freakshow on it, produced by Bloodshy & Avant, which is clearly dubstep influenced. This was in 2007, where Rated R was released in 2009. Rated R was more dubstep heavy, but Britney was the first to do pop with dubstep influences.

Depends on whether you count Freakshow as Dubstep and i don't :p.
    Forum Member
    Depends on whether you count Freakshow as Dubstep and i don't :p.

What do you count it as?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Ideally, I'd love an ambient, ethereal sounding, almost dream pop album in the vein of And Then We Kiss, Unusual You and Breathe On Me. Here's hoping!

This would be amazing!!! Something like the Touch of My Hand (Bill Hamel Remix) would be great, it's my fave remix of hers and would probably suit this.

It wont happen though. I love her but I'm sick of her singing about going to a club and picking up a guy and how amazing the rest of the night is gonna be.

I get that she likes a certain type of sound but she needs to sing about something different.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a shame she's become some fragile weirdo who can't dance anymore and disrespects her fans. She used to be talented but now she's a reck I'm afraid.

She used to be a great dancer. Injuring her knee twice is part of why she can't anymore but not the whole reason.