Options

Help needed - Videoing Freeview

I've been given a TV with integrated freeview. I have connected this to a VCR and DVD player but when I try to video something I can only seem to video what is on the terrestial channel and not what is on freeview. I've tried setting video channel to AV1 and AV" but all I get is blank screen. I'm sure it's very easy but I don't have a clue!! Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been given a TV with integrated freeview. I have connected this to a VCR and DVD player but when I try to video something I can only seem to video what is on the terrestial channel and not what is on freeview. I've tried setting video channel to AV1 and AV" but all I get is blank screen. I'm sure it's very easy but I don't have a clue!! Can anyone help please?

If your TV has integrated freeview it should have the capacity to output the Freeview signal through the scart. (You can then record it as you, correctly did, by setting the VCR to AV1)

You will need to read through the manual to find out how to output Freeview - I would also suggest looking out for for any sections on timers.

However I note you were given the TV suggesting that you don't have the manual which is going to be an issue. Have a look at the TV's options - again looking out for timer settings. Set the timer to a freeview channel and see if you can record it on your VCR at the appropriate time.

Does the TV have a second scart? Often this is used to output Freeview pictures for recording - sometimes directly, other times via a timer setting.

The model of TV might help others to provide more specific info.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best solution is to get a separate cheapo Freeview box and record off that rather than mess about recording off the TV. This has the following advantages :-

1. You can record one channel and watch another at the same time.
    2. The TV doesn't have to be switched on to record.
    3. The Freeview box will probably have auto switch timers.
    4. You can record RGB (OK you can't with VCR but if you ever get a DVDR)
    5. It's much much easier, you don't get any of the problems you've mentioned.

You can pick up a second hand Freeview box for less than £20 including postage on eBay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

You can pick up a second hand Freeview box for less than £20 including postage on eBay.

You can get a new one for less than £20 at Tescos.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to go down the "buying extra kit" road, you may want to consider buying a DVD recorder with integrated Freeview. These are not overly expensive any more and come with some distinct advantages. Firstly the timer functions are integrated, and many DVD recorders have basic PVR-like functions making recording much easier. Secondly you only need one box, rather than three as would be needed with a VCR/Freeview/DVD solution. Of course you wouldn't be able to record and watch DVDs at the same time -- how much of an issue this is is depends on your viewing habits I guess.

Of course, you could go the whole hog and buy a HDD/DVD recorder with Freeview, but this would be getting silly given that you have been given this kit so possibly funds are limited.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    The best solution is to get a separate cheapo Freeview box and record off that rather than mess about recording off the TV. This has the following advantages :-

1. You can record one channel and watch another at the same time.
    2. The TV doesn't have to be switched on to record.
    3. The Freeview box will probably have auto switch timers.
    4. You can record RGB (OK you can't with VCR but if you ever get a DVDR)
    5. It's much much easier, you don't get any of the problems you've mentioned.

It may sound a simple question but have you ran the ariel lead to the TV first then to the VCR.THis is one of the most common errors and most people are used to going to the VCR first then the TV.Worth a look
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilson wrote: »
    You can get a new one for less than £20 at Tescos.
    Good grief, they'll be giving them away free with a packet of corn flakes next.:)

It does make getting the extra box rather than recording off the TV even more of a no-brainer.
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StMartins wrote: »
    It may sound a simple question but have you ran the ariel lead to the TV first then to the VCR.THis is one of the most common errors and most people are used to going to the VCR first then the TV.Worth a look

How do you run an RF lead to TV first, then from TV to VCR? The TV is (normally) the end of the chain - you can plug an aerial lead into a TV but you can't run another aerial lead from the TV to anything else. Whereas all VCRs and all DVDRs (and STBs, and HDDs, and PVRs, and Sky boxes) provide RF passthru. That is why you need to use scart out from TV to VCR to allow you to record the Freeview signal being picked up by the TV.