Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean was normal before he went to prison
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far, I would have come to the conclusion that Shabnam is trying to remember her encounter and they're probably gonna decide it was rape. They've left it open enough to go either way. Especially as the scene was never shown.

I only began watch Eastenders a couple of years ago so I missed Dean when he was first around. Was he a particularly likeable character? Despite what he's done, he's still got a lot of support on here.

He was an awkward, cringy character. Bit of a drip and a wimp. Wasn't successful with women AT ALL! Only had a couple of encounters with women in the 2 yrs. his feeling for his Mum really swung from devoted to hate.
    There was the doping incident with Stacey, but this was just to reinforce was a failure he was with women.
    He wasn't particularly likeable.
    He went to jail for framing Sean,Stacey's bruv, for a crime he didn't commit.
    He was only in 1 ep after he left jail. It was made clear the experience had had a profound negative effect on him.

To an extent making him a serial rapist with past history is quite an incredulous recon, as the overwhelming impression in his last stint is that he simply couldn't pull women.
  • Options
    SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, she said that Dean didn't remember any of it and she seems so certain of it, so perhaps it was just a ONS.

Or maybe she spiked his drink (but that's probably taking the twist too far lol).
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't speak of it like it was a rape
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey has rapedar, she can tell.

Even if it didn't sound like rape in how she retold it don't forget this is someone who until last week kept the fact she had a baby secret. She could be well versed in playing things down.

I like the idea of maybe Carly Wicks knowing, Shabnam and her were close and she swore her best friend to secrecy but it's why Carly wants nothing to do with her brother and hasn't come to visit him in the Square since he's been back.

A cameo return from her could be what finally convinces Shirley to see her son for what he is.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    Stacey has rapedar, she can tell.

Even if it didn't sound like rape in how she retold it don't forget this is someone who until last week kept the fact she had a baby secret. She could be well versed in playing things down.

I like the idea of maybe Carly Wicks knowing, Shabnam and her were close and she swore her best friend to secrecy but it's why Carly wants nothing to do with her brother and hasn't come to visit him in the Square since he's been back.

A cameo return from her could be what finally convinces Shirley to see her son for what he is.

But she could have concealed it because of her religion though.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    From what I've heard so far I'd say that Shabnam didn't seem to view it as a rape - my take on it was that she had sex with him (when he was drunk/? her state) in the toilets of a club which isn't a particularly nice way to lose your virginity for anyone. Then it was all magnified to the nth degree when she found out she was pregnant and abandoned the baby.

boddism wrote: »
    Increasingly DID.

I dont want him to though.

Firstly- because as has been said on here earlier- it detracts from the Linda story.
    secondly- theres no guarantee he'd go down for rape even if Shabnan said he raped her. Courts need EVIDENCE. 2 claims might make him very suspect, but courts dont make judgements based on someone lookng dodgy.

Thirdly- Shabnan & Dean having a baby is enough of a story as it is. Theres the inevitable confession to d
    Dean, the attempts to track down the child, possibly trying to get back legal parenthood over the girl & possible custody battles between the 2 parents. Thats without the reactions of the 2 families.
    With another rape sl its gonna be out of the running. THis new sl has potential to run & run, I dont want to see it shut down before its even started.

If the baby has been legally adopted there is no way this could EVER happen - once an adoption order is granted the birth parents lose all their parental rights. I'm not sure what happens in the case of abandoned babies because there's no-one to give permission but am fairly sure the courts would be able to issue an order anyway (not all birth parents agree to their children being adopted after all) after the mother had been looked for and not found obviously. And whilst I know children from ethnic minorities can be harder to find adoptive parents for I really can't see it being a problem to find a home for a BABY with no obvious problems (addiction, disability etc) so would have thought she'd have been easy to place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Dean was normal before he went to prison

I agree.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I certainly hope not. I think it would be too far. I would rather it was just a drunken night than another rape.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't decide yet whether what happened between Shabnam and Dean was consensual. The way Shabnam described it, it sounds as though it was spontaneous and consensual. However, I could see
    Shabnam being fine with making out in the bathroom of the club but going no further, only to have Dean take it farther and force sex on her. I could understand Shabnam then taking full responsibility for what happened, thinking she deserved it because she was not behaving as her religion dictates.

I do think it will eventually come out that Linda isn’t the first woman Dean has raped, but I don’t know if Shabnam was one of his other victims.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eejm wrote: »
    I can't decide yet whether what happened between Shabnam and Dean was consensual. The way Shabnam described it, it sounds as though it was spontaneous and consensual. However, I could see
    Shabnam being fine with making out in the bathroom of the club but going no further, only to have Dean take it farther and force sex on her. I could understand Shabnam then taking full responsibility for what happened, thinking she deserved it because she was not behaving as her religion dictates.

I do think it will eventually come out that Linda isn’t the first woman Dean has raped, but I don’t know if Shabnam was one of his other victims.

BIB: I think this is likely to be the case. Linda is a strong-minded, sexually experienced woman who absolutely knew that she didn't want to have sex with Dean; for her, it was obvious from the start that she had been raped (even if she couldn't admit it to anyone at first.) With Shabnam, it may well be that she was so busy blaming herself that she didn't realise that Dean had pushed her into sex without consent. Certainly, as she was sexually naive, she may have believed that her encounter with Dean was how sex was supposed to feel for a woman as she had nothing to compare it to.

Of course we don't know the truth yet, but it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that this plot twist popped up in the episode where Dean walked free from his charges against Linda without any difficulty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I certainly hope not. I think it would be too far. I would rather it was just a drunken night than another rape.

I agree
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she could have concealed it because of her religion though.

Up until now that explains pretty much the main reason Shabnam's personality took a 180 degree turn when she returned Walford last year. It seems like her mission is to keep the fact she had sex out of marriage, in a nightclub and had a child out of wedlock secrets.

I'm going to say that she met Dean before she left Walford, maybe a month or two, in an unscripted night out. He was already gone months earlier but it's not entirely impossible that he was somewhere else in London at that time. She was in her rebellious phase, defying Zainab, sneaking out at night. Losing her virginity was perhaps part of the process, but she didn't expect to fall pregnant.

On whether he raped her, there was one episode last year she was quite friendly with him as they were helping out Denise with something. If he had raped her she would be avoiding his presence all the time.

I don't know how they'll script their interactions in the coming months, but I reckon Shabnam will stop wearing her hijab eventually and possibly go for a hair appointment at Blades, starting a conversation with Dean to subtly gauge his memory back to 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until now that explains pretty much the main reason Shabnam's personality took a 180 degree turn when she returned Walford last year. It seems like her mission is to keep the fact she had sex out of marriage, in a nightclub and had a child out of wedlock secrets.

I'm going to say that she met Dean before she left Walford, maybe a month or two, in an unscripted night out. He was already gone months earlier but it's not entirely impossible that he was somewhere else in London at that time. She was in her rebellious phase, defying Zainab, sneaking out at night. Losing her virginity was perhaps part of the process, but she didn't expect to fall pregnant.

On whether he raped her, there was one episode last year she was quite friendly with him as they were helping out Denise with something. If he had raped her she would be avoiding his presence all the time.

I don't know how they'll script their interactions in the coming months, but I reckon Shabnam will stop wearing her hijab eventually and possibly go for a hair appointment at Blades, starting a conversation with Dean to subtly gauge his memory back to 2008.

I agree. I think it was just a drunken one night stand.