Options

Giving Up Bread - Help!

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,939
Forum Member
✭✭
I want to give up bread. Does anyone have any ideas on things to eat instead? Or has anyone done this themselves?

Comments

• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,320
    Forum Member
    Nothing difficult about about giving up bread.

Ale, on the other hand...................................
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Hi
    what I do if I am cutting out having bread
    I buy Icerberg lettuces and remove the stem and central core
    Then you can begin by peeling off a few outer leaves together

Use these like a tortilla wrap
    to fold around all your chosen fillings

You feel as though you are having a substantially filled and varied wrap
    you can even use pretty hot fillings
    the choices are endless :p:p:p

good luck with[ out ] it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i tend to buy wraps or ritz crackers..i like to have bread in freezer for toast though Mmm hot buttered toast is nice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to give it up completely. I think I eat quite a lot anyway. From things I've been reading, giving it up really helps your digestive system and brain function. Also the weight apparently drops off you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much thought gone into this!!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to give it up completely. I think I eat quite a lot anyway. From things I've been reading, giving it up really helps your digestive system and brain function. Also the weight apparently drops off you.

No not unless you have a problem such as coeliac disease. If you stop eating bread and as a result eat less calories then yes you will lose weight but the same thing would happen if you stopped eating the calories elsewhere.

If you think you may have coeliac disease then that is a serious illness and you should see you doctor, similarly if you think you have an allergy to wheat/gluten though that is less serious. Most probably you have just been reading someone's opinion written with little or no evidence to support that opinion, you can get almost any opinion on the web and most sites can sound convincing.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i like to have bread in freezer for toast though
    Mmm hot buttered toast is nice
    You're not really helping are you :D:D
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to give up bread. Does anyone have any ideas on things to eat instead?
    I'd recommend toast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    what I do if I am cutting out having bread
    I buy Icerberg lettuces and remove the stem and central core
    Then you can begin by peeling off a few outer leaves together

Use these like a tortilla wrap
    to fold around all your chosen fillings

You feel as though you are having a substantially filled and varied wrap
    you can even use pretty hot fillings
    the choices are endless :p:p:p

good luck with[ out ] it
    That's a really good idea :-)
    When I cut out bread I tend to replace it with ryvita, but next time I will try the lettuce, thanks.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bread is also one of my big food weaknesses. I could easily eat a loaf a day and most meals with have a couple of slices of bread and butter with them.

However, I have managed to cut back. I almost never buy a loaf of bread these days and if I do fancy some sandwiches I'll try to have them as a wrap.
  • Options
    Removed_User2Removed_User2 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I want to give up bread. Does anyone have any ideas on things to eat instead? Or has anyone done this themselves?

Nope, never done it before, I LOVE BREAD...What i did was substitute regular bread for brown bread, think its called whole grain, its MUCH healther, for me the difference in the taste isnt very noticable :) or you could try crackers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, never done it before, I LOVE BREAD...What i did was substitute regular bread for brown bread, think its called whole grain, its MUCH healther, for me the difference in the taste isnt very noticable :) or you could try crackers

I've been eating wholemeal bread for years. It's still bread though.

Anyway, i'm going to stop eating it from tomorrow. I don't think it should be too difficult. I'm going to do what the poster in this thread mentioned about sandwhich fillings in lettuce indtead of bread for sandwhiches. Also going to take big salads to work with lots of meat, cottage cheese. I think I should be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been eating wholemeal bread for years. It's still bread though.

Anyway, i'm going to stop eating it from tomorrow. I don't think it should be too difficult. I'm going to do what the poster in this thread mentioned about sandwhich fillings in lettuce indtead of bread for sandwhiches. Also going to take big salads to work with lots of meat, cottage cheese. I think I should be fine.

I work from home now but when I was eating salads at work I found the best way was to take all of the bits and pieces separately rather than making it at home otherwise it goes all limp. As long as you have fridge at work then bags of salad leaves, cold meats and cheeses should be enough to last a few days and works out far cheaper than a supermarket sandwich each day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a really good idea :-)
    When I cut out bread I tend to replace it with ryvita, but next time I will try the lettuce, thanks.
    You are very welcome tangledinblue :)
    and ........ Master Ozzy :)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was unwell a week or so back, the only thing I was eating really was toast, a couple of slices for breakfast and a couple in the evening, i lost 9 pounds in weight doing that, not that I was doing it to lose weight.

so you can lose weight by eating just bread, someone told me you can't, but it is not recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    When I was unwell a week or so back, the only thing I was eating really was toast, a couple of slices for breakfast and a couple in the evening, i lost 9 pounds in weight doing that, not that I was doing it to lose weight.

so you can lose weight by eating just bread, someone told me you can't, but it is not recommended.

A slice of toast is about 100-150 calories (depending on the type of bread what you have on top of it). If you are only consuming 400-600 calories a day then you are sure to lose a lot of weight regardless of what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    A slice of toast is about 100-150 calories (depending on the type of bread what you have on top of it). If you are only consuming 400-600 calories a day then you are sure to lose a lot of weight regardless of what it is.

That is true, that is one way to lose weight, but as i said, not recommended.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    rice cakes and peanut butter
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I successfully gave up bread a little while ago. I obviously eat it occasionally but not nearly in the amounts I use to. To give you some idea, I use to buy two dominoes 13.5in pizzas and wolf them down. This was when they still did deep pan pizzas.
    This doesn't include the loaves I was getting through when 'snacking' at various times of the day.
    OP, you probably enjoy the feeling of being full all the time. The trouble is the weight you're putting on, that you can't seem to shift by going to the gym several times a week.
    What you need to do is eat more proteins and nutrients. If you get enough of these you won't crave bread. Don't confuse this with eating lettuce and salad. These are foods you won't enjoy and which will lead you to back to your old habits. Eat light meats like chicken and fish. Supplement your food with beetroot, garlic and an assortment of beans (black eye peas, kidney beans etc). Cook with olive oil, not sunflower oil. Try pasta instead of rice. A few weeks of this and you'll notice the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think I could give up bread
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done it. And I had a full on addiction to sandwiches. Things I do: the lettuce leaf wrap. Frying or microwaving cheese shreds until all the oil is out of them to make 'crackers'. Using almond or coconut flour substitutions for those times when I just 'have' to have a scone or something else bready. Telling myself I'll have the toast, sandwich, whatever, later and then don't do it. I do get fast food hamburgers without special modifications because I think they taste better that way. Then I eat the middle out of them by tearing the bread off so I can get to the filling. Weird but it works.

The low carb/keto/celiac websites are full of ideas for going bread free. It can be done! Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the reasons. If it's wanting to give up bread and wheat - crackers etc won't help.

Bread is a carb - so is rice and potatoes, there's also rice cakes as someone mentioned. Gram flour makes very decent pancakes. The lettuce leaf is an excellent taco shell substitute :) if going wheat free, doves do a excellent brown rice pasta - can't tell the different from normal pasta.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up bread two years ago and have lost nearly four stones and my stomach is much flatter. I'm doing Weight Watchers and found that bread was bloating me and I was hanging onto the weight. I do have ryvita thins and dry crackers which I'm fine with. I adore good bread and could live off bread and cheese but you do get used to it. Good luck.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I roll my sandwich filling in slices of ham, or as someone else said Lettuce leaves.

for snacks instead of potato crisp, I make cheese or peperoni crisps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I roll my sandwich filling in slices of ham,
    or as someone else said Lettuce leaves.

for snacks instead of potato crisp, I make cheese or peperoni crisps.

> :) <
    that was meeeee :)
    I had 2 lettuce wraps this morning
    with carved ham salad cream tomato cucumber and Thai sweet chilli sauce

I find a carrot dunked in houmous is a good [ lower calorie ] snack
    or celery stalks with houmous or philli cheese / or peanut butter :p
    or slices of cucumber dunked into salad cream and or mint sauce
    Cottage cheese mixed up with wedges of tomato celery & cucumber & squidge of Salad cream