Scotland was lost the day George Osborne blackmailed them with the pound

2»

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Cameron should offer a cast iron guarantee for a currency referendum. Then we know it will never happen.

Cameron? You mean David Cameron right? Our prime minister.

I get bored of all this "Westminster screws us over" type comments. (Even if you didn't say it, you clearly implied it). What about England? The only UK country without a devolved parliament having to abide by laws devised in a Westminster house that is full of Scottish MP's voting for things that affect England but not their own country. The English are all as screwed as the Scots but we don't have a chip on our shoulder.

Going to make a cup of coffee now to calm down. I don't know where that outburst came from.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    If Scotland introduced something like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXI38ey-nY#t=56 (Bradbury Pound) they wouldn't have any debt problems after independence at all. They would have no national debt.

The Bradbury actually saved this country from financial collapse in 1914, the bankers wouldn't like it though.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite, as a Scottish unionist I've found the negativity of the BT tactics to be utterly appalling. I can completely relate to how they would push some undecideds into the "Yes" camp.

If Scotland votes "yes" it will be because of the crapness of the BT campaign rather than any merits of the "Yes" campaign. BT completely failed to understand the Scottish mindset and how it would react to perceived blackmail and patronising negativity.

They should have sold the benefits of the Union rather than acting like an abusive partner trying to use bully tactics to hold together a disintegrating marriage.

Stupid, stupid comment. Once the fuss dies down the decision will be made by economists in the best interests of the overall economy. You won't get a say and all the spiteful bitching in the world isn't going to change that.

No not stupid. The truth. No rUK economist is going to recommend monetary union either. It would make no sense for the rUK to agree to it even if Scotland threatens not to pay it's share of the debt.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Cameron? You mean David Cameron right? Our prime minister.

I get bored of all this "Westminster screws us over" type comments. (Even if you didn't say it, you clearly implied it). What about England? The only UK country without a devolved parliament having to abide by laws devised in a Westminster house that is full of Scottish MP's voting for things that affect England but not their own country. The English are all as screwed as the Scots but we don't have a chip on our shoulder.

Going to make a cup of coffee now to calm down. I don't know where that outburst came from.
    Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick!
    It was about Cameron previously having given a cast iron guarantee for a referendum, and then not having one. I.e. the fact that Cameron weaselled his way out of a promise and so cannot be trusted. (apologies to weasels, they wouldn't be as devious as a Tory).
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Talk about getting the wrong end of the stick!
    It was about Cameron previously having given a cast iron guarantee for a referendum, and then not having one. I.e. the fact that Cameron weaselled his way out of a promise and so cannot be trusted. (apologies to weasels, they wouldn't be as devious as a Tory).

If the Pro-Europe campaign in 2017 (or whenever) is as utterly useless as "Better Together",
    We will be out of the EU

Only a few more years to go:D
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    No not stupid. The truth. No rUK economist is going to recommend monetary union either. It would make no sense for the rUK to agree to it even if Scotland threatens not to pay it's share of the debt.

I went a bit OTT with the "stupid"'s there. Apologies for that. :blush:

I got a bit riled elsewhere.
  • Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    Really? Why should they keep the pound? Moreso, why should they keep the pound without the rest of the United Kingdom expressing their support for them doing so. As far as I'm concerned, there's a very legitimate reason for the rest of the UK having a referendum on the issue. Why should our prosperity be risked because some fat bloke wants to lead Scotland to independence and headlong into some giant economic gamble in the process. It's one thing for the decision to leave the UK to be for the Scots alone, but it's another for them to keep the pound without anyone in the rest of the UK having a say in it.

What hasn't been made clear is the fact that once Scotland is gone, it's gone. There is really no going back. I think a lot of those voting YES think that if it all goes wrong they just revert back to the status quo.

No I think it is very clear that independence is permanent. Even if it wasn't BT has mentioned it so many times for the penny to drop!
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but no-one I'm aware of has said that Scotland couldn't continue using the pound the same way Panama uses the dollar. What has been ruled out is an official currency union. Perhaps the Yes campaign has tried to spin it like that?

You didn't see the "Walk away from the UK, walk away from the £" advert? Or the Labour party rolling giant pound coins and saying "the only way to save the pound is to vote no"
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    You didn't see the "Walk away from the UK, walk away from the £" advert? Or the Labour party rolling giant pound coins and saying "the only way to save the pound is to vote no"

Either way, George Osborne on The Andrew Marr Show this morning reiterated that "no ifs, no buts, there will be NO currency union."

With public opinion in England currently at 68% against currency union, the UK Government will be foolish indeed to disregard that strong viewpoint. However, 59% of the English want the Union to remain intact with only 19% in favour of seperation.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »

But don't you understand the difference. :confused: There is a huge difference between currency union and just using the pound.