Galaxy S4 Mini will not get Lollipop (another slap in the face from Android)

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini will not get Lollipop. Three have told customers its due to the S4 Mini's limited memory. The S4 Mini has 1.5GB RAM compared with the S4 which has 2GB RAM. The S4 Mini did get VoLTE support in the USA on AT&T last year. Its not know if Three will do VoLTE for the S4 Mini. They plan to roll it out VoLTE in September 2015. Three haven't bothered to roll out Lollipop for the S4 yet while other networks have managed it so im not sure what their excuse is.

Owners of the S3 Mini got shafted over Firmware updates too while some operators made KitKat available like Verizon while most didn't bother.

This is a huge problem with Android and its Manufactures, Networks and Google that are screwing it up for everyone >:(

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/04/25/uk-carrier-says-galaxy-s4-mini-wont-get-lollipop-due-to-memory-limitation/

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9190_galaxy_s4_mini-5375.php

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/12/17/atts-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-gets-volte-support-in-latest-update/

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9500_galaxy_s4-5125.php

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00061694/91238/SM-G730VMBAVZW

Comments

• david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is that the s4 mini was just that bit cheaper and just that bit more affordable for those on a lower budget compared with the full size model.

It's not just a little bit smaller than the full size S4 model. Samsung didn't intend the mini to be just as upgradeable to the latest version of android as often as the full size model and the camera has less megapixels on the mini compared with the full size model too. If some people could have paid that extra £100 to get the full size model but thought the S4 mini would be just as good as the full size one and saving some money in the process they will really be kicking themselves right now.
  • Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a form of Cyangenmod 12 (Lollipop 5.0) for S4 Mini but you have to be rooted.

https://basketbuild.com/devs/F4k/cm12/serranoltexx
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is some networks clearly offer official upgrades. Verizon and the S3 Mini is a fine example. While the majority don't. There is no reason for this to happen. Samsung clearly made Rom but it wasn't rolled out the way it should have been.

Apple are consistent at doing updates. Even Microsoft who were much worse than Android at one time have pulled their socks up (Windows Mobile updates were like hen's teeth).

Rooting is an option if your willing to put up with some bugs and features not working.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to run Lollipop on a phone that isn't up to it :confused:
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is some networks clearly offer official upgrades. Verizon and the S3 Mini is a fine example. While the majority don't. There is no reason for this to happen. Samsung clearly made Rom but it wasn't rolled out the way it should have been.

Apple are consistent at doing updates. Even Microsoft who were much worse than Android at one time have pulled their socks up (Windows Mobile updates were like hen's teeth).

Rooting is an option if your willing to put up with some bugs and features not working.

The US operators have extensive customisations to their phones, and of course there's the whole CDMA vs GSM/UMTS thing. Maybe Verizon paid for the update and no one else wants to (especially SIM-free owners)

Some Samsung phones are actually totally different inside. IIRC the CDMA versions of the S3/S4 use different processors to the GSM/UMTS/LTE ones - Qualcomm vs Samsung Exynos.

So it would still take some money and effort to release a generic ROM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    Why would you want to run Lollipop on a phone that isn't up to it :confused:

How do you know it isn't? Phones can be capable of stuff well beyond what the manufacturer can be bothered with - and when they say it isn't possible, generally they really mean "it's not compatible with our business plan of making you buy a new phone every 18 months to 2 years)

The classic example is the HTC HD2 - a phone originally released with Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone). Thanks to the community, it got Android (up to at least KitKat), Windows Phone, Firefox OS, Ubuntu and more. HTC obviously would not do that officially.
  • DevilduckDevilduck Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    It's a slap and in the face from three or samsung... Not android!

Lollipop would work on the s4 mini if someone was willing to pay for the work to be done
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S4 mini was officially supported for 18 months so I don't see what's the big deal.
    I really don't think the average consumer who bought the S4 mini instead of the S4 will be bothered either, it was pretty clear the specifications were much better on the S4.

As for the S3 mini situation, the Verizon version was released a whole year later with a different chipset, Snapdragon 400 instead of NovaThor that's why that version had more updates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    The S4 mini was officially supported for 18 months so I don't see what's the big deal.
    I really don't think the average consumer who bought the S4 mini instead of the S4 will be bothered either, it was pretty clear the specifications were much better on the S4.

As for the S3 mini situation, the Verizon version was released a whole year later with a different chipset, Snapdragon 400 instead of NovaThor that's why that version had more updates.

I wait until the price of a smartphone has come down somewhat before I buy a newer one than I've got.

But I know within less than a year there's not a hope in hell that I will be able to upgrade to the latest version of Android on that phone.

You have to keep paying top dollar for the full size with full spec brand new Samsung galaxy phone every time one comes onto the market if you want to be guaranteed the latest version of Android. Just that most of us don't have the budget to do so.

It doesn't have to have the latest version of Android for it to be a good smartphone. A lot of people are happy with their smartphones that have Android 2.2 or 3.0 on them that cannot be upgraded to a version beyond that has lasted them a good few years and may well last them a good few more years yet and don't have the urge to keep buying the latest smartphone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devilduck wrote: »

Lollipop would work on the s4 mini if someone was willing to pay for the work to be done

Buy a brand new full spec full size samsung galaxy smartphone if you don't want to be left bitterly disappointed about being unable to upgrade to the latest version of Android on it.
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with you david16.
    If you know enough about the latest version of android then flashing custom ROMs is probably not beyond you. Personally I choose my phones on spec, but also on chipset and developer support which will either appear or won't appear within a few months of release.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devilduck wrote: »

Google have completely failed to get to grip with the fragmentation of Android. They keep making promises to sort it out but nothing has changed.

Want updates then buy a Google Nexus device. Samsung are pretty useless and you can only ever expect 2 years of updates on a flagship device from Samsung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Microsoft will soon stop providing security updates and telephone/fax/e-mail support for each version of windows phone operating system from a specific date just like they do with versions of windows installed on PC's and laptops.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    I wait until the price of a smartphone has come down somewhat before I buy a newer one than I've got.

But I know within less than a year there's not a hope in hell that I will be able to upgrade to the latest version of Android on that phone.

You have to keep paying top dollar for the full size with full spec brand new Samsung galaxy phone every time one comes onto the market if you want to be guaranteed the latest version of Android. Just that most of us don't have the budget to do so.

It doesn't have to have the latest version of Android for it to be a good smartphone. A lot of people are happy with their smartphones that have Android 2.2 or 3.0 on them that cannot be upgraded to a version beyond that has lasted them a good few years and may well last them a good few more years yet and don't have the urge to keep buying the latest smartphone.

Well said Sir!

I've just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with Android god-knows-what in it, no 4G, a £5 a month contract, and it all works a treat, does all I will ever want from it and half the price of an old iPhone 4, never mind anything else!

So I can't upgrade Android... big deal. About as big a deal as not being able to upgrade Firefox every month to its latest hardly-any-different latest minor version... in other words, not a big deal at all, what's wrong with my Android 4.2.2. anyway? (To those who care). I can now spend the hundreds of pounds that I have saved on something else more interesting or more useful to me.
  • Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android is cheap. So you have to put up with what you get. I'm running it at the mo and it's alright. A few things Apple could learn from but on the whole, not a patch on iOS. But I got a skinny smart phone which is quick, runs 2 sims so I can have VOD 2G and EE 3/4G and has a nice screen and really does just work for £150 or so.

Do I expect anything from Google or ZTE (whoever they are) in terms of forward upgrades? Will I get wifi calling on my second, EE sim? Will I get VOD VoLTE when they launch it on the first one? Nope. I don't expect a single thing. There are too many hardware /software configs out there. It's the same as PC gaming really. Good if you can get it to work on your particular PC but you might as well buy an Xbox or PS3 and avoid the hassle.

No way would I sign up a 2 year contract on Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you david16.
    If you know enough about the latest version of android then flashing custom ROMs is probably not beyond you. Personally I choose my phones on spec, but also on chipset and developer support which will either appear or won't appear within a few months of release.

i remember a few years back on one of my PC's that I wanted to install a new game on it, but it needed a newer version of windows to run, but that PC could not handle the newer version of windows which needed to run on a much faster processor. I had to buy a new PC.

Technology is always rapidly advancing and it doesn't matter what you decide to purchase, that then high spec technology will become low spec (relatively speaking) very quickly as within less than a year much advanced technology will be on sale at the cost you paid for the then state of the art new technology last year.

"Oh dammit I wish I had waited a while until this new smartphone came out" is a common reaction when a new more advanced technology smarthone came out hot on the heels of your purchase of one. Just make a conscious decision to buy a new one if you can afford it or the newest you can afford and keep using it for as long as you can and buy a new(er) one a few years later as you will notice a big improvement in performance once you start using your next new one.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Android is cheap. So you have to put up with what you get. I'm running it at the mo and it's alright. A few things Apple could learn from but on the whole, not a patch on iOS. But I got a skinny smart phone which is quick, runs 2 sims so I can have VOD 2G and EE 3/4G and has a nice screen and really does just work for £150 or so.

Do I expect anything from Google or ZTE (whoever they are) in terms of forward upgrades? Will I get wifi calling on my second, EE sim? Will I get VOD VoLTE when they launch it on the first one? Nope. I don't expect a single thing. There are too many hardware /software configs out there. It's the same as PC gaming really. Good if you can get it to work on your particular PC but you might as well buy an Xbox or PS3 and avoid the hassle.

See I find it the complete opposite.

I have had iphones and each time i got rid of them as ios looks and feels cheap and very very stale. Android (kitkat and lollipop) looks far more up to date and modern and i can have it look anyway i want. I STILL cant do that with ios!! Anyway, your phone with all respect is a cheap Android phone which probably runs an old version of Android horribly. Hardly compatible! Compare something like an LG G3, Sony Z3 etc with an iphone and there is little if any difference.

There is however a lot of fragmentation though and Google needs to take the reigns like it has with Android wear. Provide the OS the same on all devices and they update directly completely bypassing the manufacturers.

The EE argument is not very good since you can wifi call over a plethora of apps anyway. Its nothing to do with Android why EE have not added wifi calling to other phones. That's squarely down to EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android is cheap. So you have to put up with what you get. I'm running it at the mo and it's alright. A few things Apple could learn from but on the whole, not a patch on iOS. But I got a skinny smart phone which is quick, runs 2 sims so I can have VOD 2G and EE 3/4G and has a nice screen and really does just work for 0„5150 or so.

ZTE smartphones are pathetic.

You can't install much on a ZTE Q mini. It has Evernote preinstalled as a system app and you cannot uninstall it.

You had to uninstall updates for Evernote to allow you to install updates from Google Play Store before you scanned for virus/privacy/junk on Cm Security which flagged up a security issue forcing you to update the app. It as well as many other uninstallable system apps take up a ridiculous amount space of a 984MB internal storage. Even with 30GB storage space remaining on a 32GB microsd card inserted it can't install updates on the internal storage.

It says there is 110MB storage space remaining on the internal storage but it can't install a 20MB update from Google Play Store. What's that all about?
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

The EE argument is not very good since you can wifi call over a plethora of apps anyway. Its nothing to do with Android why EE have not added wifi calling to other phones. That's squarely down to EE.

You do realise there is a difference between WifiCalling and the apps that offer wifi calling?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    You do realise there is a difference between WifiCalling and the apps that offer wifi calling?

Yes, i do. But the point is, it can be done other ways for now for those that cant get it until EE pull their fingers out.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone said earlier, if you want a cheaper phone, and you want updates, a Nexus really is the only way to go. I just got Android 5.1 on my old Nexus 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google only guarantees updates for something like 18 months after release though, and they can still be slow in releasing new versions of Android but anything that isn't the newest flagship model.

One nice thing about Nexus is that the bootloader is unlockable and there is a lot of activity in custom ROMs so even when Google won't support it, someone will. This is sometimes true for other manufacturers but not in all cases
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if OEMs committed to a certain number of OS version updates, but it's a work they will try to avoid for cheaper phones, especially if they have too many. You potentially need new drivers for each HW combination and you need to test them, you need to test the new OS with the old phone anyway. They'll do it for their flagships, but they won't do it for the cheaper phones. Buy a new one is their policy.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are some very confused people on here who don't seem to understand who controls upgrades and indeed the operating system.

Google do not release android for your phone (unless it happens to be a nexus device). Google release Android to Samsung will do their customisations like touchwiz and its up to them if they wish to support your device. To add an extra level of complexity, the update is then pushed by your carrier so they can also delay updates.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
    Forum Member
    You only need three letters to keep a phone like that alive and those are X D A