3's cancelation bullying

2»

Comments

• belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »
    :eek: How do you manage to look after 3 wives!!!!!!:p

I've tried to stay away from contracts in case this sort of thing happened with me. My Sister was in a contract with T-Mobile (I think) and she had a shocking time trying to cancel

In future, I'm planning to simply use the money I would have spent on a contract to save up for a phone I want, then run it on PAYG or a low-cost 30-day SIM free contract. Seems to make sense; you pay the market price for the phone, then choose who you use and what you pay for the phone service. Being locked into 18 months can work out more expensive!

Speaking of which, where will the minimum terms end? 12 month contracts are rare now and 18 months are commonplace. Now, with the advent of the iPhone and its ilk, we're starting to see two-year deals appearing. Will the next hot gadget require a 30-month commitment?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In future, I'm planning to simply use the money I would have spent on a contract to save up for a phone I want, then run it on PAYG or a low-cost 30-day SIM free contract. Seems to make sense; you pay the market price for the phone, then choose who you use and what you pay for the phone service. Being locked into 18 months can work out more expensive!

Speaking of which, where will the minimum terms end? 12 month contracts are rare now and 18 months are commonplace. Now, with the advent of the iPhone and its ilk, we're starting to see two-year deals appearing. Will the next hot gadget require a 30-month commitment?

This discussion has been had before by myself and other posters. Whilst this is becoming more popular for reasons I can understand, I will try to explain the worth of the contract relatively for the sake fo discussion.

Often when you do calculations for a phone and a particular bundle of minutes, you will either find the actual TCO after 18 months is lower on the contract or you get more minutes/texts on the contract for the same money. This is because the phone companies need to make a minimum amount of money from each account. On PAYG you are paying this money for the phone directly and on the credit you purchase whereas on the contract you are paying this minimum which then overlaps with the phone subsidy you receive.

On contracts free phones work effectively like financing for cars (except, for the phone it is interest-free). By paying the sum over the course of 18 months rather than entirely upfront you are actually paying less due to the effects of inflation and any interest earned.
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...personally I (we) have been with 3 for around 8 years(?) now. I agree, in the beginning the service was poor. The choice of phones were poor. Battery life was poor.

I used to get the mickey taken. 'You know why its called 3?'

'Its because you can make 3 calls and your battery dies!'

'You get 3 minutes and your cut off!' etc. etc.

But as time went on the reception and coverage has improved dramatically! Even hopping onto orange if need be. The choice of phones has improved too. I particularly like Nokia so I'm happy.

About two years ago whilst abroad waiting in an airport I lost my phone. Fortunately my OH had her 3 phone. I cancelled both the phone and SIM. The operator then tried to sell me a second hand phone for £50! I hung up! I was sooo livid that as soon as we landed back in th UK I was on the case! I asked for my PAC. Why? Told the CS. Within in 5 minutes I had a new phone on its way on a 12 month contract with the same minutes etc for £5 pm less.

10 months later 3 contacted me regarding an upgrade. The CS tried to tell me what he wanted me to have. So, I politely told him what I wanted. Again 5 minutes later an N95 8Gb was on its way and another £5 pm less. 3 had only just started to issue them!

Overseas roaming has never been a problem. I especially like the '3 at home' thingy where you use your home minutes when in a 3 partner country.

So, I am a very happy 3 customer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    battlezone wrote: »
    Well...personally I (we) have been with 3 for around 8 years(?) now.

Thats good goin considering they have only been operating just for just over 5 years (from 3/3/03) :D
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    josephgall wrote: »
    Thats good goin considering they have only been operating just for just over 5 years (from 3/3/03) :D

Don't think so mate, they have been around since at least 1994, check this link out from there own website

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=244&NewsAreaID=2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    Don't think so mate, they have been around since at least 1994, check this link out from there own website

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=244&NewsAreaID=2

No I am pretty confident that I am right, look at the article again. It is from 2004, it has 1994 at the top then 2 lines down it says 2004. Its a mistake. Also the six nations didnt exist in 1994, it was called the five nations until 2000 when Italy joined then it was renamed the six nations. Trust me, they got their licence from the government in 2000 and they started their phone service on the 3/3/03. Check this link out

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=303&NewsAreaID=20
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    battlezone wrote: »
    I was sooo livid that as soon as we landed back in th UK I was on the case! I asked for my PAC. Why? Told the CS. Within in 5 minutes I had a new phone on its way on a 12 month contract with the same minutes etc for £5 pm less.

10 months later 3 contacted me regarding an upgrade. The CS tried to tell me what he wanted me to have. So, I politely told him what I wanted. Again 5 minutes later an N95 8Gb was on its way and another £5 pm less. 3 had only just started to issue them!
    So, In both instances you got new phones on new contracts, thats hardly impressive service, thats just two sales.

-Chris
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I am pretty confident that I am right, look at the article again. It is from 2004, it has 1994 at the top then 2 lines down it says 2004. Its a mistake. Also the six nations didnt exist in 1994, it was called the five nations until 2000 when Italy joined then it was renamed the six nations. Trust me, they got their licence from the government in 2000 and they started their phone service on the 3/3/03. Check this link out

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=303&NewsAreaID=20

I stand corrected, good link. :)
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's why I put a ? mark :p
    So, In both instances you got new phones on new contracts, thats hardly impressive service, thats just two sales.

-Chris

It suited me as I am very happy with 3's service! :D:D