Baseball 2015

grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I couldn't find last years' one. There's a couple of things happening.

First off, spring training started this week - the first couple of weeks aren't really very realistic, but by mid-month teams should start to shape up a bit. ESPN usually have a few games towards the end of the month.

The Ground Crew at Fenway are going to have a bit of a job to be ready, though.

There's a Europe v Japan series next week! Live from the Tokyo Dome on Eurosport 2 on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    really hard to predict this season , been so many changes to so many teams

you would have to think the nationals look strong but they have been heavily favoured the last couple of seasons and not really lived up to expectations. dodgers also look strong in the NL, how the padres do after all their changes is anyone's guess tho.

not sure about the AL at all, even the highly rated teams all seem to have flaws
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if ESPN will be showing any spring training games?
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    Does anyone know if ESPN will be showing any spring training games?

I was looking earlier, couldn't see any scheduled at the moment but the schedules only run 2 weeks ahead, they generally show a few in the immediate week before the real season starts.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 pre-season games to be shown on the ESPN US site

http://espn.go.com/mlb/television

Personally I'm not fussed about preseason, my mlb.tv sub renewed so I thought I take a look. All the pitchers are no-names and about 75% the rest of the teams are at present as well.
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    5 pre-season games to be shown on the ESPN US site

http://espn.go.com/mlb/television

Personally I'm not fussed about preseason, my mlb.tv sub renewed so I thought I take a look. All the pitchers are no-names and about 75% the rest of the teams are at present as well.

same here

had a quick look at the Yankees-Phillies game last night and only 2 likely starters were playing for the Yankees and they only played a few innings as well

cracking game on opening night , cards v cubs, one of the traditional baseball rivalries and the cubs are coming into the season as possible contenders after the off-season they have had, bringing in maddon as manager and getting lester in free agency
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »

Well, at least one big name has been playing...

Alex Rodriguez began his comeback from a 162-game doping ban by hitting a single in a spring training contest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/31745123
  • fosteritefosterite Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for the new season to start. Hopefully there will be the usual amount of live games on B.T /ESPN. I fancy the Nats are going to win the N.L and the Angels the A.L I see the Nats winning it all......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder: Europe v Japan from the Tokyo Dome at 09:00 tomorrow and Wednesday on Eurosport 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article about the prospects for British baseball. Efforts are currently directed towards the European qualifying competition for the Olympics in Japan 2020 - there's no baseball in Rio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/31494447

Saw the first game of the Europe / Japan series - Europe were on course for a big upset win, leading 3-1 in the bottom of the 8th when they brought in a great useless lump of a closer who allowed 3 runs without a single out and they wound up losing 4-3. The European team was mainly made up of players from the Netherlands Antilles and Spanish or Italian-based Hispanics.

Didn't see the second game - http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/decaster-leads-europe-to-6-2-win-over-japan-in-baseball
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any Yankee fans with an mlb.tv sub, Tanaka is due to throw 2 innings vs the Braves tonight (Thursday).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN are starting up their baseball coverage next weekend - there's a Yankees v Phillies game scheduled on Friday 20th, various episodes of Baseball tonight, and some live pre-season games the week after that.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait for the season to start now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First preseason live game is Yankees v Phillies on BT Sport 1 on Thursday at 23:00

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/live-mlb/8198383
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, why do they play so many games in a baseball season?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will say that they need to do it to because there are so many different permutations of pitchers and batters that you need to play a lot of games to find out who is really the best etc etc, but basically I think it's a tradition that goes back to the days when the team owners were all powerful tyrants and players were paid a pittance, so now fans just expect it.

All the teams now play six days a week solid from the beginning of April till the end of September, with only a single three day break in the middle.
    Forum Member
    Got my sky+ all set up and ready to go. Summat to watch first thing tomorrow morning:):):) Live Baseball is back:)
    Forum Member
    just watching the Yankees game and they are talking about them being projected as one of the best defensive teams in the league this year, solid starting pitching and a very good bullpen but expected to have issues scoring runs

so could be watching a lot of low scoring games this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next up, Tuesday 17:00 ESPN - Braves v Phillies
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Yankees fan here, its going to be strange to see the team take to the field without The Captain.

Also not really liking A-Fraud coming back into the side.
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Yankees fan here, its going to be strange to see the team take to the field without The Captain.

Also not really liking A-Fraud coming back into the side.

it will be but gregorius is a big upgrade defensively and shouldn't lose anything at the plate either , depending on how healthy tex is I think the Yankees could have the best defensive infield in the league

a-rod is going to get a hard time every time he comes out to bat , even bonds when he was getting a hard time in away ballparks was loved in san Francisco, I can see a-rod getting booed even at yankee stadium
    Forum Member
    Great to see we have opening night live followed on Monday by a Quadruple Header from 6pm. Roll on Easter.....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder, regular season starts at 01:00 Sunday night / Monday morning with the Cardinals v the Cubs, then tons of games on Monday and throughout the week on ESPN and BT Sports. In the meantime we currently have the Yankees v Tigers on ESPN.
    Forum Member
    a fun article to whet the appetite for the start of the season this weekend

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/115923752/125-predictions-mlb-season-will-leitch
    Forum Member
    sounds like some atmosphere at Wrigley field tonight

even if it looks a bit weird with all the renovation work still going on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    sounds like some atmosphere at Wrigley field tonight

Wrigley is always bizarre at the beginning of the season before all the ivy has grown back.