Options

OneFoot in the Grave. Who else feels sorry for Victor.

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    The missing car and the party were,the snooker hotline episode was Dramatic Fever

I loved the snooker hotline bit! I remember watching The Man Who Blew Away on Youtube but it's gone now :( I think I'll have to give in and buy the boxset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I loved the snooker hotline bit! I remember watching The Man Who Blew Away on Youtube but it's gone now :( I think I'll have to give in and buy the boxset.

It looks like most of the episodes have been taken down.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the series. But why did Renwick have to kill the character off. Couldnt they of left it how it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    I loved the series. But why did Renwick have to kill the character off. Couldnt they of left it how it was.

I agree, Victor shouldn't have been killed off, but from what I've read David Renwick didn't want to write anymore and was getting fed up of people asking him if there was going to be another series.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Stella28 wrote: »
    It looks like most of the episodes have been taken down.

I think they have :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella28 wrote: »
    I agree, Victor shouldn't have been killed off, but from what I've read David Renwick didn't want to write anymore and was getting fed up of people asking him if there was going to be another series.

Fair enough but they could of left it how it was.

You never saw the writers killing Del Boy off or Hyancith Bucket off because Patricia Routledge didnt want to do anymore.

People will always ask thats why you have fans. Bad decision to just kill the main character off because your fed up with writing it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

You never saw the writers killing Del Boy off or Hyancith Bucket off because Patricia Routledge didnt want to do anymore.

People will always ask thats why you have fans. Bad decision to just kill the main character off because your fed up with writing it.

It could have been a dream........
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this being on the tv when i was growing up but didnt understand it.
    However, i now watch it back every weekend on gold with my mum and i love it.
    I think the dynamics of the 2 are great. I agree we are meant to feel for Margaret but i feel for them both the same evenly.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a sitcom, ostensibly in the traditional format, it is very dark.

The show always seemed to me,and was probably written as a sort of anti 'Terry & June'

Mr Swainey for all his cheeriness clearly had issues, and the scene where his other neighbour is looking in the mirror and morphs into Victor showed this.

I may be in a minority of one, but I think the ending of the show where victor dies a sad pointless death, and Margret avenges was completely in keeping with the tone of the show and a fitting end.

My favourite episode is the two hander where they are in bed and Victor can't settle and you have the (to me) funny scene where he has put his foot in a dead hedgehog and later on you find out about a dead son.

You laugh out loud, then you find out a bit more and you feel a bit sad.

Very few, if any, sitcoms have really managed to pull of that trick.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard he killed him off to stop himself from writing anymore. He said there's always the temptation to return to things and run them into the ground, he wanted to make sure he couldn't return to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I heard he killed him off to stop himself from writing anymore. He said there's always the temptation to return to things and run them into the ground, he wanted to make sure he couldn't return to it.

I remember reading somewhere, that he was going to do the same thing years before anyway (was gonna kill Victor off in one Christmas special - the one where he saves Patrick's life by grabbing the guy who had a knife to Patrick's throat and falling through the window) and was going to kill Margaret off that time she ended up in hospital and they played clips of them together from previous series..

Anyway, I've always considered it to be inkeeping with the series. It just, works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

He should of just said no and stuck with it.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should of just said no and stuck with it.

But if that happens, then you're in danger of running the show into the ground. David Renwick said that he didn't want One Foot in the Grave to end up becoming a pale shadow of its former self, which is why he ended it when he did.

If you want a good example of a show staying on past its sell-by date, try Only Fools and Horses. That should have ended in 1996 with Del Boy and Rodney becoming millionaires, instead of creaking on with a final triology a few years later.
    I also felt that the last series of Dad's Army was one series too many, as by 1977 most of the cast were starting to get on a bit and the quality of the scripts was starting to decline. It's also arguable whether Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em should have returned for its third series in 1978 - although I quite liked it, I gather the general opinion was that it was one series too far - and even Kenny Everett's later TV outings showed a decline in quality.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    wasnt the end,there was a comic relief sketch in 2001
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he killed Victor off so that he wouldn't have to bring him back. The first thing he did was bring him back :D
  • Options
    citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What about the way they treat their friends poor Ronnie and Mildred.

"I hoped they'd died"

To be fair, i can't say i blame them. I'd have just had to tell them where to go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if that happens, then you're in danger of running the show into the ground. David Renwick said that he didn't want One Foot in the Grave to end up becoming a pale shadow of its former self, which is why he ended it when he did.

If you want a good example of a show staying on past its sell-by date, try Only Fools and Horses. That should have ended in 1996 with Del Boy and Rodney becoming millionaires, instead of creaking on with a final triology a few years later.
    I also felt that the last series of Dad's Army was one series too many, as by 1977 most of the cast were starting to get on a bit and the quality of the scripts was starting to decline. It's also arguable whether Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em should have returned for its third series in 1978 - although I quite liked it, I gather the general opinion was that it was one series too far - and even Kenny Everett's later TV outings showed a decline in quality.

Their are simply stacks of sitcoms I could easily name that the writers didnt want to continue doing but they didnt kill the main character off.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Yes, he killed Victor off so that he wouldn't have to bring him back. The first thing he did was bring him back :D

as a ghost though:). I remember reading someone came up with an idea of how Renwick could have kept the show going,if he had been so inclined-by making the events of the last episode a bad dream of Margaret,ala Dallas.That would have been a copout though IMO
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    as a ghost though:)

Which makes it even worse :p Even death wasn't enough :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Which makes it even worse :p Even death wasn't enough :D

Does that mean Harold Snoad will bring back KUA to kill Hyanicith off or Roy Clarke bring back LOTSW to kill Cleggy off?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    "I hoped they'd died"

To be fair, i can't say i blame them. I'd have just had to tell them where to go!

Mildred killed herself during the game of Happy Families in the final series episode "Tales of Terror".
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their are simply stacks of sitcoms I could easily name that the writers didnt want to continue doing but they didnt kill the main character off.

OK then. Name them! :D

As I said in an earlier post, David Renwick wanted the series to end on a high instead of limping along for a few years more, as he was also writing Jonathan Creek and that was occupying a lot of his time. The cast and crew also felt that it was time to bring the OFITG to a natural end as it had been running for 10 years by then. It simply wouldn't have worked with another writer taking over from David - the series was his idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sound a little angry about it. lol

It was his creation and he felt it was the perfect way to end it. As sad as the ending was, I agree with him.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved One Foot in the Grave, the ending still breaks my heart :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched an episode on Gold today. When they go for a day out with Mrs Warboys and they get their feet stuck in a slab of concrete. Still funny.