Inferno (Tom Hanks)

Society619Society619 Posts: 491
Forum Member
Inferno’s plot is like an M. Night Shyamalan movie on crack. The story is really dumb and the villain’s plan has so many holes in it, you wonder if they just made this movie based on the 1st draft to make a buck. Readers of the book who hate this story won’t find the movie to be any better and will surely only confirm your complaints. The actors aren’t bad but even they can’t overcome the nonsensical and muddied storyline this film tries to present. If you’re a historian, there is no point of nitpicking how accurate the movie is because everything else is terrible enough on its own merit. If you are a movie goer, you can only hope that this is the last you will ever have to see of Robert Langdon going forward.

https://society-reviews.com/2016/10/29/inferno-review/

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone told me that they've completely changed the ending from the book
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone told me that they've completely changed the ending from the book

Yes they have and one other bit that I remember. (Obviously there's been some streamlining too.) In general, there never seemed like there was much jeopardy in it - which is why the book's ending was a good twist.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well that's dumb , the ending was the most interesting thing about the book
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Hanks keep making this cack? Is he handcuffed to a certain number of them or does he have massive tax bill to settle?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Hanks hasn't made a good film for donkeys years.

I am still waiting for Cast Away 2 - I think it will redeem him. ;)
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Captain Phillips" was good and I really enjoyed "Sully" don't think it'll feature much in the Oscars but still pretty good
    Straker wrote: »
    Why does Hanks keep making this cack? Is he handcuffed to a certain number of them or does he have massive tax bill to settle?

Hanks is a good friend of Ron Howard, you might ask why he made "Inferno". I guess Ron comes along to Tom and says "would you like a couple of months in Italy and we'll pay you a couple of million $"

Apart from "Captain Phillips" & before "Sully", Hanks hasn't had a major hit in the US since "Angels and Demons"
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    "Captain Phillips" was good and I really enjoyed "Sully" don't think it'll feature much in the Oscars but still pretty good

Yeah neither of those films appealed to me. Based on true life events weren't they??? Correct me if I am wrong.

I think Hanks needs to think outside the box for his next few projects. He picks very safe movies.

I'd love to see him do a zombie film or tough western.
  • The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    Apart from "Captain Phillips" & before "Sully", Hanks hasn't had a major hit in the US since "Angels and Demons"
    Bridge of Spies?
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bridge of Spies?

I guess it depends what you call a hit, in the US "Bridge of Spies" did $75M (Sully & Capt Phillips both surpassed the $100M mark) but "Bridge" only cost $40M to make and so did well for its budget in the US
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's David S. Pumpkins!

Any questions?
  • Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member

Sully was a decent film