Options

Cover versions better known than the originals

Comments

• Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Toy Dolls' version of Nellie The Elephant.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the younger generations know Santa Baby by Kylie rather than Eartha Kitt.

Similarly, I think Warm This Winter is better known as a Gabriella Cilmi song than a Connie Francis song.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Close by Blue is probably far better known than the Next original which is a shame

If I Ever Fall I Love by East 17 could be better known that the Shai original which is a travesty.

And the fact that Communards hideous version of Don't Leave Me This Way is better known by some that Teddys sublime original is horrific
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Handbags and Gladrags, both the Rod Stewart and Stereophonics versions.

i didnt know about the rod stewart version, not until the stereophonics covered it. for me, the best known version is chris farlowes which is an all time fave. but i dont think many are aware of it and the stereophonics will surely be the 'best known'..

which highlights this

VVVVVVV
    ItsNick wrote: »
    You're probably right.

If both versions are well known you'll probably pick the one you like best and as I think Gary Jules version was the most miserable pile of dross I've heard I'd always go for TFF's version.

the 'generation thing'.... i agree with its nick about 'mad world', but many who bought gary jules version are unlikely to have known much about the original, if anything.

so there clearly is a 'generation thing' when it comes to covers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last nights pop quiz we had this played....

eighth wonder - im not scared which would also fit in the 'rare/ forgotten 80's' thread.
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugababes - Freak Like Me
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Soft Cell's version is still the best known by far I'd say.

In fact the Marilyn Manson version is clearly based on the Soft Cell cover, I'm not sure he ever even heard the Gloria Jones original beforehand.

I'm not sure the generational thing always applies, Only You and Valerie had both been hits just a year before their even more successful covers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    In fact the Marilyn Manson version is clearly based on the Soft Cell cover, I'm not sure he ever even heard the Gloria Jones original beforehand.

I'm not sure the generational thing always applies, Only You and Valerie had both been hits just a year before their even more successful covers.

i wasnt aware of the gloria jones original until soft cells success.

fair point, re the generation thing. obviously there would usually need to be a gap between 2 successful versions, but isnt that what a 'generation' is anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s club juniors - new direction.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re 'Tainted Love', when the Soft Cell record came out I already knew the song very well, but couldn't for the life of me remember who had recorded it before. I was convinced it was a Motown artist, someone like The Supremes or The Temptations. In those pre-internet days, it was years before I found out it was Gloria Jones.

Speaking of The Supremes, has anyone mentioned 'You Can't Hurry Love'. I fear the 1982 Phil Collins version may be better known now than the Supremes 1966 original.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    "Without You" (original by Badfinger) by Nilsson and/or Mariah. Although Nilsson's is head and shoulders the best for me of the 3 of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PDS1985 wrote: »
    Sugababes - Freak Like Me

Not to most people over 45 I imagine. This, like many songs on this thread, is just a song that is better known to younger people who may not even know that it's part of a cover. However, make no mistake Are 'Friends' Electric was gigantic in its day.

I think the impact the original had compared with any subsequent cover is what's more important.
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    The Verve's version of The Stones' song Bittersweet Symphony. Probably in the top five covers EVER.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarla wrote: »
    The Verve's version of The Stones' song Bittersweet Symphony. Probably in the top five covers EVER.

Not a cover.

An original song that sampled a riff from an orchestral version of the Stones' song "The Last Time".

What's more, the riff that was sampled was composed by the orchestral version's arranger and not by MIck Jagger and Keith Richards, although they are the ones who receive some of the royalties for "Bittersweet Symphony" as copyright law does not favour arrangers.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Not a cover.

An original song that sampled a riff from an orchestral version of the Stones' song "The Last Time".

What's more, the riff that was sampled was composed by the orchestral version's arranger and not by MIck Jagger and Keith Richards, although they are the ones who receive some of the royalties for "Bittersweet Symphony" as copyright law does not favour arrangers.

Woosh!!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Not to most people over 45 I imagine. This, like many songs on this thread, is just a song that is better known to younger people who may not even know that it's part of a cover. However, make no mistake Are 'Friends' Electric was gigantic in its day.

I think the impact the original had compared with any subsequent cover is what's more important.

I think the FM was saying it's better known than the Adena Howard original Freak Like Me
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last nights pop quiz we had this played....

eighth wonder - im not scared which would also fit in the 'rare/ forgotten 80's' thread.

Not really a cover it was written for them by the Pet Shop Boys. The boys then covered it on their album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I think the FM was saying it's better known than the Adena Howard original Freak Like Me

oops! I didn't know about that song - which proves the poster's point I guess!
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I wonder through time and recognition that the original versions can become better known again. For example is Gloria Jones original version of 'Tainted Love' as well known now as the later more successful versions by Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson?
    It can. If someone decides to play the original on an advert or whatever that bring it to peoples attention.

When it comes to Tainted Love I'd say Soft Cell's version is the best known, Gloria Jones is second and Marilyn Manson last by a long way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not really a cover it was written for them by the Pet Shop Boys. The boys then covered it on their album.

oh right, i thought it was the other way around :blush: fair play :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

I wonder through time and recognition that the original versions can become better known again. For example is Gloria Jones original version of 'Tainted Love' as well known now as the later more successful versions by Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson?

im sure in the case of 'tainted love' soft cells success certainly made gloria jones version better known.

i tend to think that its the first version of a song that we hear that becomes our individual 'best known'.

i cant think of an original i prefer to a cover that id heard and known first. i do like some covers as much as some originals, but in every case id heard and was familiar with the original first.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh right, i thought it was the other way around :blush: fair play :)

To be fair as a group I don't think eighth wonder had much to do with the song, as far as I am aware it was written for Patsy Kensit, rather than eighth wonder...it probably would have been more accurate to be released as a single by the Pet Shop Boys feat. Patsy Kensit....as she was the only member from the band that actually performed on the single.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cilla Black s Anyone who had a heart, propelled her career but a much better singer Dione Warwick had the song out too but didnt seem to go anywhere.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    Cilla Black s Anyone who had a heart, propelled her career but a much better singer Dione Warwick had the song out too but didnt seem to go anywhere.

most people were better singers than cilla
  • Options
    989989 Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cover Version - Ai No Corrida by Quincy Jones.

Original version by Chas Jankel (from The Blockheads) who also composed and wrote the song.