Miss Marple: A Caribbean Mystery

Comments

• FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Not just me then, he really was spectacularly bad.....was he thinking "This sketch is going on a bit long" and wondering when David Mitchell was going to appear?

If that had actually happened, I think it would have been an improvement. When he did that 'menacing' snarl at Oona Chaplin's character, I actually burst out laughing.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Webb was unconvincing, I agree.

Pity they couldn't have found a part for his mate Ben Miller

As you will have read in later posts, you have got your pairings mixed up. Robert Webb goes with David Mitchell and Ben Miller goes with Alexander Armstrong.

I agree - one of the reasons I gave up was Robert Webb being in it. He is just about bearable in Mitchell and Webb comedy, but he can't act.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    As you will have read in later posts, you have got your pairings mixed up. Robert Webb goes with David Mitchell and Ben Miller goes with Alexander Armstrong.

I agree - one of the reasons I gave up was Robert Webb being in it. He is just about bearable in Mitchell and Webb comedy, but he can't act.
    When I saw the cast at the start and saw Warren Brown's name, I assumed that he would be playing the part of Tim and thought it was a good casting until I saw that he was Jackson & Robert Webb was Tim - really poor, I thought.

Overall I enjoyed it mainly because the overall story arc did stick to the book - at least it was a Marple story and the murderer was the same and the addition on the clergyman was adirect replacement for a specific character and was made to give a happy ending for Molly.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I found it all a bit slow and plodding, all the Vodou and James Bond/Ian Fleming stuff added nothing. Charlie Higson the adapter of this, a big James Bond fan was clearly influenced in his adaption by the James Bond film Live and Let Die, self indulgent nonsense. Whilst the core story was there, the warmth of the Helen Hayes or Joan Hickson versions was missing. 6/10, must try harder.

Sorry, but I thought the Bond/Fleming nods were a hoot. How many people recall, I wonder, that Agatha Christie created a character called James Bond for one of her short stories (published in 1934 - 18 years before Fleming wrote the first Bond novel)? With that in mind, I found it all rather lovely, personally, not self-indulgent nonsense. I particularly loved the visual homages to the Live And Let Die movie.

I enjoyed this version. Not as much as the Joan Hickson one, naturally. But at least Geraldine M's abominable Marple wasn't anywhere near this.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Lillith wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered having; the BT bloke in it. His character isn't in the book and I just thought of the ads when I saw him. The first ad afterwards was the BT one by accident or design I don't know.

Up until recently there was a rule called "Artist Separation" where actors in TV shows could not appear in any advert for 30 minutes before or after a programme in which they appeared. This was why actors who did lots of adverts, like Richard Briers or Ray Brooks, never worked for ITV very much.

However this was got rid of by OFCOM as they simply could not enforce it on all the satellite channels.

Not that they ever bothered to enforce it anyway, as when it did happen it was always claimed to be "by accident". Even when ads that were years old were suddenly rolled out and slotted into a break in a programme the actor was in.
    I recall a VERY old advert for Head & Shoulders that had not been on for years starring Denise Richards, suddenly appeared on Channel 4 during a break in a Friends episode (when they were new) when..... Denise Richards guested as Ross' cousin.

Yes I know I'm a Pedant - but this just annoyed me.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Apart from the endings of course. ;)

The car crash at the end of "A Pocketful Rye" never happened. The murderer was only caught when Miss Marple returned home to find a letter from Gladys identifying him and enclosing a photograph as proof. Then presumably he was arrested.

Both the novel and the Julia Mackenzie adaptation stuck to the original ending.

That said, the original "A Pocketful Full of Rye" was my favourite Joan Hickson episode.

The BBC adaptation of "Nemesis" had a similarly ridiculous ending involving a high-speed car crash which had nothing to do with the original novel but I can see why they did so in order to incorporate a dramatic finale into the story.

I don't remember a car crash at the end of the Joan Hickson version of Nemesis. As far as I can remember the ending was faithful to the book. She was staying with the sisters and the killer sister tried to poison her, then ended up killing herself.

That's one of my favourites. I love Pocketful of Rye as well.

What car crash are you referring to?

I love At Bertram's Hotel as well. THAT ending was changed. In the book they knew Elvira killed Michael Gorman but they didn't have the proof to get her. In the telly version she admitted she'd done it.

Another of my favourite Joan Hickson stories.
    Joan's are the only Miss Marples stories I watch.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Sorry, but I thought the Bond/Fleming nods were a hoot. How many people recall, I wonder, that Agatha Christie created a character called James Bond for one of her short stories (published in 1934 - 18 years before Fleming wrote the first Bond novel)? With that in mind, I found it all rather lovely, personally, not self-indulgent nonsense. I particularly loved the visual homages to the Live And Let Die movie.

I enjoyed this version. Not as much as the Joan Hickson one, naturally. But at least Geraldine M's abominable Marple wasn't anywhere near this.

I agree. I quite liked the nods to Fleming, although it was a bit overdone.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Sorry, but I thought the Bond/Fleming nods were a hoot. How many people recall, I wonder, that Agatha Christie created a character called James Bond for one of her short stories (published in 1934 - 18 years before Fleming wrote the first Bond novel)? With that in mind, I found it all rather lovely, personally, not self-indulgent nonsense. I particularly loved the visual homages to the Live And Let Die movie.....

Have to agree to differ, I did not know about Agatha Christie's earlier incarnation of James Bond.

The Rajah's Emerald

When James Bond agrees to go to a fashionable holiday resort with his fiancé he can’t begin to imagine the trouble he will encounter. An accident puts him in contact with a beautiful Emerald but will it lead him into danger?
    Christie later used some of the plot and location of this story in her play Afternoon at the Seaside.
    Published in the The Listerdale Mystery, 1934, and also in The Golden Ball and Other Stories.

http://www.agathachristie.com/story-explorer/stories/the-rajahs-emerald/
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    ............... In the telly version she admitted she'd done it................

In far too many agatha christie stories the villain admits that the long-winded, far fetched theory put forward is true, and that they're the killer. Or, too often, that he and the "accomplice who pretended not to like him" are guilty.

Why don't they simply challenge the police to prove it?
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Lillith wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered having; the BT bloke in it. His character isn't in the book and I just thought of the ads when I saw him. The first ad afterwards was the BT one by accident or design I don't know.

I'm not arguing with you for thinking that, fair enough I bet a lot of people did, I'm not quoting you to contradict you, but I think it's really sad because Daniel Rigby is a really good actor, I thought he was fantastic in Eric and Ernie, and it seems really sad if those stupid adverts mean he can't be seen as anything else. I get why actors would take the money for these ads but it such a waste of them.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I watched a recording of The Mirror Cracked last night. When did Dolly Bantry become so glamorous? It was ridiculous seeing Joanna Lumley supposed to be enthralled by the beauty and glamour of Lindsay Duncan.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolly Bantry is described as a plump lady who's only interest was planning her new herbaceous border.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    In far too many agatha christie stories the villain admits that the long-winded, far fetched theory put forward is true, and that they're the killer. Or, too often, that he and the "accomplice who pretended not to like him" are guilty.

Mitchell and Webb spoofing exactly that, although as Poirot.

The Evil Voice
  • SleepPixieSleepPixie Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Hello,

I've been a lurker for a very long time...I think this is my first post! Have to say, my favourite Miss Marple actress was Joan Hickson - and the production of her Marple films seemed so faithful to the books - with no modern gimmicks added for effect.

I'm not sure what to make of Geraldine McEwan's depiction - she is kind of likeable, I think. But - for some reason - every time I look at Julia McKenzie's Marple - I see Mrs Doubtfire!

Is it just me....or is there an actual resemblance there? :)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Mitchell and Webb spoofing exactly that, although as Poirot.

The Evil Voice

Thanks, that was brilliant. It captured perfectly the "Yes, I did it" ending of so many of the stories.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it
  • mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Have only just seen this and just had to comment on the staggeringly abysmal acting of Robert Webb.

It was utterly painful to watch, like some sort of hideous am-dram from your local village. Compare and contrast to Anthony Sher playing the Jason Rafiel character!
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it

So did I. I have the Joan Hickson boxset and watched this episode awhile ago I found it dull compared to the new version. I really like Julia Mckenzie as Miss Marple.:)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did I. I have the Joan Hickson boxset and watched this episode awhile ago I found it dull compared to the new version. I really like Julia Mckenzie as Miss Marple.:)

I have those aswell,i find Joan hickson and Julia McKenzie the best miss marples
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Jason Rafiel who we meet in the Carrabean Mystrey, the same one who sends her off the mystery tour in Nemises.

This short story one was a revelation as I continuously watch Joan Hickson ones but hadnt seen this short story before.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

WE must remember that Agatha Christie novels esp detective ones, where originally short stories. it is only TV that has elongated them for TV series. and of course made them duller and boring in some parts. esp Poirot series.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I know. I realised it when it was too late to edit. :o

Anyway, my point still stands - Ben Miller as Richard Poole would have improved the episode considerably. :D:D

Anyone see Sunday's offering, Greenshaw's Folly? I can't see a thread on it, so maybe no one watched.

A bit of a mish mash, I thought. And the "Pile of carp" clue has been used quite recently in another Christie, hasn't it? (Or maybe it was in something I read?).
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    Was Jason Rafiel who we meet in the Carrabean Mystrey, the same one who sends her off the mystery tour in Nemises.

This short story one was a revelation as I continuously watch Joan Hickson ones but hadnt seen this short story before.

Yep same Rafiel. Donald Pleasance played him in the Hickson version and he was great but Antony Sher did a good job too. Probably the best thing about this adaptation although was it in the original story that he was there to buy the hotel? If it was fair enough, if not then it really wasn't necessary to put that in.

I don't like Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple though. She's too sprightly and involved. She's more like Jessica Fletcher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    ...I don't like Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple though. She's too sprightly and involved. She's more like Jessica Fletcher.

Angela Lansbury prior to playing Jessica Flecther, played Miss Marple in The Mirror Crack'd (1980), It is believed she got the role in Murder She Wrote because of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I realised it when it was too late to edit. :o

Anyway, my point still stands - Ben Miller as Richard Poole would have improved the episode considerably. :D:D

Anyone see Sunday's offering, Greenshaw's Folly? I can't see a thread on it, so maybe no one watched.

A bit of a mish mash, I thought. And the "Pile of carp" clue has been used quite recently in another Christie, hasn't it? (Or maybe it was in something I read?).

No thread on Greenshaw's Folly, I watched, and on the whole thought it a "pile of carp" (skillfully rearrange the letters for my actual view):D