Options

Pork Steaks

murphster86murphster86 Posts: 79
Forum Member
Hi there, never posted in this forum so evening foodies :)

I bought some Pork Steaks but have no idea really how to cook them. I've never really cooked with pork before, always been a beef or chicken kind of guy.

One thing I did come up with was to cook the steaks part in a frying pan and then finish off in the oven immersed in a tomato & onion sauce but I'm not sure if that would work.

Does anybody else cook with Pork Steaks and how do you prefer to cook it. I don't want it to come out all tough and nasty but nice and soft so its easy to eat.

Comments

• Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    quick and simple.. wrap them in foil with a knob of garlic butter for hafl an hr in a hot oven then i throw them in a griddle pan to finish them off for a couple of mins and get the rind crispy :) i used to do them a lot as i could throw them in the oven with the butter and seasoning and have a shower after work and sort myself out while they were cooking, then finish them off while opening the wine and tossing a salad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That sounds pretty nice, I'd have never of thought of that. I do love a bit of garlic in a dish too so I might give that a try. I bought a big pack of steaks so i've got room for trying lots of things

Thanks very much :D
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    quick and simple.. wrap them in foil with a knob of garlic butter for hafl an hr in a hot oven then i throw them in a griddle pan to finish them off for a couple of mins and get the rind crispy :) i used to do them a lot as i could throw them in the oven with the butter and seasoning and have a shower after work and sort myself out while they were cooking, then finish them off while opening the wine and tossing a salad.

That's pretty much how I do them too - in the oven first, then on a griddle.

You could also marinade them, Murphster, before cooking. I generally use bits and pieces from my store cupboard for marinades, so I haven't got a recipe as such, but a sweet and sour type one goes great with pork - soy sauce, honey, garlic, lemon and chilli are a good combination for that. Leave them marinating for as long as possible, to get all the flavours going.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    That sounds pretty nice, I'd have never of thought of that. I do love a bit of garlic in a dish too so I might give that a try. I bought a big pack of steaks so i've got room for trying lots of things

Thanks very much :D
    youre welcome :) you can also do that with the oven thing then get them out slice it finely and throw it in a wok with some noodles and a sachet of stir fry sauce thats nice to.
    JulesF wrote: »

You could also marinade them, Murphster, before cooking. I generally use bits and pieces from my store cupboard for marinades, so I haven't got a recipe as such, but a sweet and sour type one goes great with pork - soy sauce, honey, garlic, lemon and chilli are a good combination for that. Leave them marinating for as long as possible, to get all the flavours going.

I love making a marinade out of the cupboard although my least successful one was marmite and marmalade lol (dont ask) but a nice one is getting some peanut butter and a tiny bit of seasoned oil and sort of mush it round a bowl so its smoother then baste it on the chops. Ive also done ginger apple and cinnamon that was delicious, i tend to whip that on them then stick them in a container or like sandwich bag thing then leave them in the fridge all day, get in, whip them out into the oven then shower and out and finish them off again. They come out so juicy and soft and fall apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »

Thanks for that :) It does so happen that I have most of those marinade ingredients in the cupboard so definitly one I think i'l do.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    youre welcome :) you can also do that with the oven thing then get them out slice it finely and throw it in a wok with some noodles and a sachet of stir fry sauce thats nice to.

I love making a marinade out of the cupboard although my least successful one was marmite and marmalade lol (dont ask) but a nice one is getting some peanut butter and a tiny bit of seasoned oil and sort of mush it round a bowl so its smoother then baste it on the chops. Ive also done ginger apple and cinnamon that was delicious, i tend to whip that on them then stick them in a container or like sandwich bag thing then leave them in the fridge all day, get in, whip them out into the oven then shower and out and finish them off again. They come out so juicy and soft and fall apart.

Ooh, I like the sound of both the peanut butter one and the ginger, apple and cinnamon - will make a mental note of those. Might give the marmite and marmalade a miss, though. :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hi there, never posted in this forum so evening foodies :)

I bought some Pork Steaks but have no idea really how to cook them. I've never really cooked with pork before, always been a beef or chicken kind of guy.

One thing I did come up with was to cook the steaks part in a frying pan and then finish off in the oven immersed in a tomato & onion sauce but I'm not sure if that would work.

Does anybody else cook with Pork Steaks and how do you prefer to cook it. I don't want it to come out all tough and nasty but nice and soft so its easy to eat.
    That sounds fine.

I'm also having a pork chop tonight and i'm having it portuguese/spanish style marinated in red wine and smoked paprika and garlic.

I will be chargrilling it a minute or two each side then finishing it off in the oven. It's a thick chop so will be in for about 10 mins.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    Pan fry, finish in the oven. When cooked through, remove from pan and keep the steaks warm. Put the pan on the hob - medium heat. Add a couple of dollops of creme fraiche to the pan and scrape up all of the caramelised meaty bits and juices. Add a desertspoon of grain mustard you can also add some chopped tarragon if you like it or a drizzle of honey.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what everyone else has said.

Mix up grated cheese and whole grain mustard and spread that on top, that's quite nice too.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I either wrap them in foil and roast them in the oven or brush them in oil and fry in a non-stick pan or brush with oil and grill. Either way, they come out moist. If I fry or grill them, I make a sauce of some kind to pour over.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    You could bash them out into an escalope and then coat in breadcrumbs, herbs and lemon zest and shallow fry.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slice them up and have in a stir fry.
    Coat in honey&mustard and grill
    chop into cubes and make into kebabs - I often marinade with a chilli sauce or herb, garlic & olive oil first though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could griddle/grill/fry them, then shred into bits, and re-fry with chilli/garlic/herbs/spives/whatever you like and serve with noodles or rice - I do this a lot and it's sooooooooooo good.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marinate the pork in Harissa, honey and lime, then fry.