Options

Shows you loved watching when off school sick

Comments

• Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I remember The Cedar Tree too. Well not the programme itself but the credits.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Remembers the days of 3 channels

That many!!! When we first got a TV there was only one. ITV came along quite a bit later, and BBC2 was many years after that.in our region. :)
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Cedar tree, it was quite boring but better than nothing.
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVED watching:

Neighbours
    Sons and Daughters
    The Young Doctors
    The Flying Doctors (it moved to a Friday daytime slot after about series 4)

Liked watching:

The Sullivans
    Crown Court
    A Country Practice
    Take The High Road
    Gems
    Give Us A Clue
    The Time The Place
    Open Air
    Dallas (repeats shown on BBC1 daytime in the late 80's)
    Chain Letters
    Blockbusters
    The Love Boat
    Santa Barbara
    Valerie
    TV Weekly
    Win, Lose, or Draw
    Tell The Truth
    Going for Gold
    Randall and Hopkirk Deceased
    Runaway
    Laverne and Shirley
    Talkabout
    Richmond Hill

plus various schools programmes such as Scene, Stop Look Listen, Picture Box, How We Used To Live, etc.

How daytime TV changed from those days. Nowadays it's utter crap with wall to wall antiques shows, cookery shows, property shows, and shows very much aimed at women!
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembers the days of 3 channels and nothing on after about 1am?? And if you dropped off, you wake suddenly to that awful noise of the testcard and that scary looking girl!! :o

This made me think of 1980 or thereabouts, when my dad used to have 'Pages from Ceefax' on first thing every morning because there was nothing else on. I found it faintly fascinating for a bit because we didn't actually have Teletext on our telly and so it was the only time we saw it, but even watching paint dry has the edge over the monotony of watching the screen repeatedly cyle through the same sequence of Teletext pages over and over again :)

Round about the same time, I'd left home and was living in a bedsit in a shared house that was such a dump the landlord hadn't even bothered to replace the front door when it fell off, so whenever any of us went out we'd try to deter break-ins by leaving the telly on to give the impression that the room was occupied. The couple downstairs did this one day and decided while they were out not to come home until the following morning. I can honestly say that few things in life make you feel more murderous than having to listen to 'that awful noise of the testcard' all night and not being able to turn it off. I was a lot more scary than the test card girl the next day :)

I don't think my kids actually believed me when I told them that there only used to be three channels and no transmission during the night (who else remembers the ITV strike that went on all summer one year so that we were down to two channels? Oh, the deprivation :) ). I think the bit that had them convinced I was away with the fairies was when I said that most people actually rented their tellys in those days (gasp!) and it was unusual for a house to have more than one (which would typically break down on Christmas day. Sigh...).

I must have sounded just like my mum used to sound to me. Maybe I should have told them that we had to trek five miles to Rediffusion or Visionhire with no shoes on to pay the rental every week, when there was snow on the ground and it was forty degrees below zero :)
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be absolutely hypnotized by the BBC test card, and the sort of soft jazz/xylophone music they often played over it, while normal programmes were off the air, during the afternoon, in the 1970s, and would spend ages sitting transfixed by it, staring at that girl, toy clown, blackboard, and chalked noughts-and-crosses grid.

Here's a bit of nostalgia for you, me, and and all those who recall that, although its off-topic, and hardly what you would have watched if off school sick.. There's no test card, though, just black screen at the end-with the 'oooo' noise starting at the four-mine mark, exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnqqP37Sd4&feature=related

That 'oooo' started on 4 mins..- I waited...:D.....last programme of the night on Saturday night started at 11.25pm!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Going for Gold
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also always liked watching GMTV. They should never have replaced it with Daybreak, and they should bring back good old Ben Shepherd.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did I look?

Wonder what that girl is doing now...and that clown. :o

This was from 2009 :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4214042/Test-card-girl-bemused-by-her-return-to-British-television.html
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagpuss
    Mr Benn
    Stop, Look And Listen (weird to think there used to be educational tv programmes, with the voice of Chris Tarrent instead of Jeremy Kyle with stuff I really would want my young children to watch.)
    Mary, Mungo And Midge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,084
    Forum Member
    There have been a few mentions of Kilroy, The Time The Place and Vanessa, and someone said Open Air, I'd forgotten those!

There seemed to be loads of shows I saw then but now daytime tv is rubbish, I wouldn't watch any of it.

What was Gems?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sons & Daughters stands out for me. I used to run home from school to catch it, when I wasn't off sick.

Even further back it was Crown Court.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pipkins with Hartley Hare.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was never off sick
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a 90s kid...

Telletubies and especially, Come Outside. (watched the last series as it happened, and all of it, during repeats on BBC around 1998 I think it was)
  • Options
    zippy00zippy00 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Its funny reading people's lists, I can straight away see different times of my life, 70's when home from school, late 80's a job where I had a Wednesdays off, 90's home during the day with little ones, brings back fond memories :)

My nan lived with us so I had to watch her daily shows when home sick, Farmhouse Kitchen, Crown Court and Crossroards are the ones I can remember. Was Mary, Mungo and Midge on BBC2 lunch times too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Being a 90s kid...

Telletubies and especially, Come Outside. (watched the last series as it happened, and all of it, during repeats on BBC around 1998 I think it was)

They still play come outside on cbeebies now. Despite it being really old my three year old boy loves aunt Mabel and pippin the dog !
  • Options
    Mo from t'marketMo from t'market Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pages from Ceefax until about midday!!
    This Morning (Richard and Judy era, of course)
    Keynotes
    Crosswits with Tom O’Connor
    Chain Letters
    Going for Gold
    A Country Practice
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chazmaxi wrote: »
    They still play come outside on cbeebies now. Despite it being really old my three year old boy loves aunt Mabel and pippin the dog !

Ah do they? Might check it out :o
    I remember because back then my Mum worked day shifts while I was at school, so If I was ill, I was sent to my Nans, and she always put it on for me. :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I used to love:
    You and Me
    Through the Dragon's Eye
    Stop, Look, Listen
    Geordie Racer
    How We Used to Live
    Story World
    Blood and Honey
    Stay Tooned
    Going for Gold
    Blockbusters
    Give us a Clue
    Crosswits
    Keynotes

I'm sure there were other shows but I cant recall the names - one was about Viking legends (it had subtitles for deaf/hard of hearing) and another was presented by Paul Coia (of the quiz Catchword) and featured a guy going on a treasure hunt or something, following clues :confused:
  • Options
    PJ HunnybunnyPJ Hunnybunny Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itsy and Bitsy
    Button Moon
    Tickle on the Tum
    Bod

mmmm, I can taste the Lucozade now!
    I remember the lovely crackle of the amber-coloured cellophane when mum opened the bottle of Lucozade, in the days when their advertising slogan was "Lucozade aids recovery"! They had to drop this when HIV reared it's ugly head in case anyone actually thought it was a cure!

I loved The Flumps ( my hubby & I still break into " nobody's remembered my birthday" occasionally, yes the nights really fly by in our house lol! Bring back Perkin,Posie & Pootle!

Hated Fingerbobs still remember, "I am a mouse called Fingermouse, a mouse with guts & verve, I get past cats so easily with my famous body swerve!"

Also loved Mr Benn & Crystal Tips & Alistair! Happy times :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have sounded just like my mum used to sound to me. Maybe I should have told them that we had to trek five miles to Rediffusion or Visionhire with no shoes on to pay the rental every week, when there was snow on the ground and it was forty degrees below zero :)

Aaah Rediffusion. :D

I am a big footie fan, where would I be now without Sky Sports? :eek:

I remember on a Saturday, being glued to Teletext all Saturday afternoon waiting for the results to change. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Light Lunch with Mel and Sue and Kilroy :D
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gloria
    I remember when Rediffusion went off, it was all the houses on the estate and even when an announcement came on not to panic and they were doing everything they could to get it back on there was a queue a mile long at the phone box outside our house with people waiting to complain..... I don't think anybody owned their TV's then, it wasn't the done thing was it?