The Norty Step (off-topic) (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree completely. When the music has the wrong rhythm and tempo for the dance or a really indistinguishable beat it makes it so much harder for the celebrities. Michael and Natalie had music for their quickstep which was actually a quickstep and their dance was my favourite on the night and a really good dance. Michael was able to keep in time and get the feel of the dance (not that that is always the case. This ol' house has a jive rhythm but he couldn't keep in time with that)

So far this series, it has only really been James and Denise's jive that has also had the right feel for the music and again it was a great dance. 9-5 does work for a quickstep and I've heard it used in competition myself so that was ok but a lot have been shocking. Sid's salsa music to Hips Don't Lie wasted a good samba track, so I imagine we'll be forced to suffer more 1970s disco "samba music" this series :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've spent all day looking at the computer working on Excel files and now my brain is fried. Debating whether to go to bed now!
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Evening ya all :)

Ouch Red :eek: You clumsy mare! Have a <smoooch> from Sid to make you feel better x

Yep, that's me! I'm known for it among my family and friends.:D

Have a <<smooch>> yourself.;)
    BIG but gentle {{{HUGS}}} for Red (and anyone else who needs one. ;)

Aw, thanks Buddy.:)
    EdwardK9 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Just come back from an unexpected trip to London so haven't had the chance to post on here.
    I really hated the Halloween show on Saturday. Why do they choose such awful music? :confused:

Welcome back Edward.:)

I'm hoping for some great/dance appropriate music this week too.
    Sid's salsa music to Hips Don't Lie wasted a good samba track, so I imagine we'll be forced to suffer more 1970s disco "samba music" this series :rolleyes:

Rachel and Vincent did their Samba to this music in their year.

I loved Michael's quickstep too. I think many people were both shocked and delighted by his performance on Saturday.(Did you see Bruno's reaction in that slo-mo clip?:eek:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the step is slipping into obscurity this year :(

I am finally looking forward to the Saturday show this week. I have a suspicion that we are going to see some excellent dances this week. I think Dani is going to be amazing in her jive from the little clip they showed. If she keeps up the momentum I am going to say it will be up there in the echelons of excellent jives seen on SCD. Also Denise's viennese has the potential to be very very good. If she can maintain the spinning without getting dizzy or sick then she will do well, her posture was very good and going by her foxtrot, she will work on and produce good footwork too.
    I am also going to be optimistic and say that Michael might also produce a very good dance. I think he has the potential to do a good foxtrot, he just needs to work on not being flat footed. I think he was a bit flat footed in the traiing clip. It probably won't be up there with his quickstep but still very respectable.
    So that is me - more excited for this weekend than I have been in a while.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Hi Norties
    I am looking forward to a few non themed weeks now .,I find they distract from the proper show and the dancing . So far Louis is one of my favourites and I am hopeing Kimberly will catch up on him .I did want to support Nicky but he is a bit useless now !
    I now would love Michael to surge ahead and be fantastic .

Does anyone have the date for the SCD final ? I went and booked something for the 8th of Dec and am wondering if I willl be annoyed with myself !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness someone is around. :)
    Do you think people are getting bored with SCD or is it because there are still a lot of people in the competition and everyone is still undecided on their favourites?
    I must say the producers do the show no favours with those pathetic clips which are more suited to CBeebies than a Saturday night entertainment show. I don't call it a dance show because I don't believe anyone at the BBC sees it like that. I know that ratings are all important but why must they show such contempt for viewers intelligence? :mad:
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Hi Norties
    I am looking forward to a few non themed weeks now .,I find they distract from the proper show and the dancing . So far Louis is one of my favourites and I am hopeing Kimberly will catch up on him .I did want to support Nicky but he is a bit useless now !
    I now would love Michael to surge ahead and be fantastic .

Does anyone have the date for the SCD final ? I went and booked something for the 8th of Dec and am wondering if I willl be annoyed with myself !

Final is on Saturday 22nd.

8th Dec is quarter final day.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    Final is on Saturday 22nd.

8th Dec is quarter final day.

Thank you Sara !! Thats great I dont mind recording the quarter finals but hate not watchign the finals in real time .:)
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buttons - You're welcome at Chez Sid anytime!

BB - Hope you've enjoyed your week off hun. I think we might see our first 10s of the series this weekend. Denise & James's Viennese Waltz looked really good in training and they've chosen a piece of music that will captivate everyone. If they get it right, it could be the dance of the series so far. I'm quietly optimistic about Dani's Jive but I have a tendency to jinx my favourites on Strictly so I'll say no more! I do hope Darcey can find her 7 paddle though - she's been really stingey with her scores for Dani.

Coooey Ed! Welcome back! It's not just the Norty Step's that's been a bit quiet but the forum in general this year. I've noticed some old faces haven't returned and that a lot of people discuss the show on Twitter now (I do both!). Also, I don't feel like this series has properly taken off yet. There hasn't been a wow dance (though that could change this weekend). Plus someone needs to challenge Louis, Kimberley and Denise (the bookies favourites from the start) or it's all going to be very predictable.

Lunchtime. Soup and fresh crusty rolls. I shall return with cakes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sid, my week off has gone far too fast!
    I do like my job most of the time, and I was very ready for the week off this time, but I do wish sometimes that I could have days off and holiday when I want and need them, not when the school term calendar dictates I can have them!

I'm not on Twitter so don't see what goes on there. I can't multitask to the point of watching the show and blogging/tweeting/posting at the same time. It's why I never appear on the forums during a show. I put the computer away for a couple of hours.
    Lets hope we get some wow dances this week. At the moment I think the overall standard has been lower this year and the dances not as inspiring. I don't really have a favourite whereas this time last year, I was firmly rooting for Chelsee...and appreciating good dances by anyone else.
    Forum Member
    I don't use either Twitter or Facebook but I do use the forum during the show although I don't post on it. Let's face it there's plenty of time during the interminable video clips and wittering from Bruce and Tess. :rolleyes:

BB I'm an ex-teacher (retired not disgraced) so I do sympathise with you. The best bit about being retired is making appointments and saying 'I can come any time' .

I do hope Michael and Richard do well this week because they have excellent teachers who deserve to see some reward for their efforts. I think Fern, Colin and Victoria could be vulnerable this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good afternoon Norties.:D

Sid - I agree about the lack of a dance to totally wow us. Personally, I think they made a mistake in having 2 themed weeks on the trot, and so early in the series. This means there has been less focus on developing the dancing skills of the celebs in favour of a more artficial "wow" though costumes and so called spectacle which didn't come off that well in most cases. Some really inappropriate music hasn't helped.
    As has been said by a number of others, the true "wow" comes from the perfect blend of music, costume and great choreography well executed, and that's what I would like to see.:)

Hoping we can get at least a couple of weeks of proper dance, and that the inclusion of "flying" in Kimberley's routine doesn't interfere with the dance too much.

On another subject: I bought a birthday card for a 2 year old girl today, quite pretty with a small glittery cardboard "2" stuck on the front. While writing it out I happened to glance at the back and there was a small sign which said "This card is not a toy and is unsuitable for children under 36 months"!! :eek::D

Dare I send it to the 24 month-old??;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long time no norty speak.

Hi guys and gals. It's been an age (probably nobody but Sid and Buddy will remember me and that's due to our liaising in another place as well as here). I recognise most of you norty steppers from last year.

Sorry not to have been around - I've changed my job and the couple of hours I have in a morning before I start my shift at noon are very precious to me so I can't spend them chatting all things Strictly with you lot.

Hey ho, I shall leave a mahoosive box of Maltesers, Millionaire's shortbread and lots of pick Cava for you all as a welcome back gift. Speak soon.
    Forum Member
    Saz. I remember you well. How are your cats? Is Mr Saz better from his eye injury?

I see you have left plenty of snacks on the step. Hope you'll be back to share it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Saz welcome back!
    No more sitting on a freezing reception desk? I remember last year I think they slapped a fair usage policy on your internet at work because sales were spending too much time not doing any work so you couldn't post as much! (how rude of them)
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Hello Norties ....hi Sazz, of course I remember you !!

Busy week at work for me and I have just emerged froma 36 hour hangover to boot. Bad idea drinking on a week night.

I agree with others that this year has been a bit of a damp squib so far .... not a lot to get excited about. I am enjoying watching Louis and Flavia and I don't care too much for the ringer Denise .... the rest of them are a bit meh. My early favourite Nicky ( only because I met him and he kissed me on the cheek) is turning into a bit of a Craig Kelly .... a bit up himself and thinks he's better than he is.

Silly season soon upon me in retail, I am Christmassying up the shop this weekend. I know it's only early November, but we were the last to do it up our lane last year and so I am determined to be like everyone else this year and not get left behind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello all,:D

I always try to look on the bright side so am really hoping for a great show tonight after a disappointing week last week.

Would love to see Dani do a great jive, as Vincent's jive with Louisa was one of my all time favourites.:)

Am staying nice and warm indoors this afternoon, as no sooner had I got home from my dog walk than it started hailing!!:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am staying nice and warm indoors this afternoon, as no sooner had I got home from my dog walk than it started hailing!!:eek:

And upright I hope :D It's a crisp sunny day here in Watford.

Buttons - I've always had a soft spot for Nicky but I think he's been a bit cold towards Karen. And her inexperience as a teacher is showing. Bad combo! What type of shop do you have? x

Saz - Wherever we run into each other, it's always nice to hear from you :)

BB & Ed - I'm a nosy git. That's the main reason I use Twitter :D News & gossip spreads through Twitter like wildfire. Plus, where Strictly couples are concerned, you get a better feel of how some of the partnerships are developing and they'll often post pics.

Enjoy the show - and the Victoria Sponge I've left for you guys x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to sit on my hands this afternoon and not post. There is a thread that has really got me riled. It has turned really nasty and personal against Victoria and is no longer objective :mad:. I had previously posted in it but now if I post, my post is likely to end up with me being sent to bognor! :eek:

Anyhow, I must chill and look to the dancing. I certainly think Dani's jive has the potential to be up there with Louisa Lytton's. There is a similarity between them - probably their age and stature as much as their personality. *whispers* I never thought that much of Louisa's jive at the time, but it grew on me when I saw the tour DVD for that year. I realised I had underrated it on the show *ends whisper*.

The weather is funny, we have a bright sunny day here now. I went to the shops and was quite warm walking, but my mum commented how cold it was outside and the breeze is chilly. This morning the weather was dreadful though - the rain was horrendous, heavy and lashing. Now you'd barely know it had rained!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The step was hiding again.
    Sid you can be pleased for Vincent and Dani - she did herself proud, and was a little undermarked in my opinion. No tens for Denise - a little early in the series perhaps, but it was a lovely dance.

Anyway, off to bed for me. I'm not feeling too well this evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a horrible lurgy going around at the mo BB. Loads of people I know have it. Take care hun. I have my ENT appointment tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can sort out my ears once and for all!

Yes I was a happy bunny this weekend because even though it wasn't a perfect performance, Dani & Vinny did a fine Jive. I feel like they're finally being noticed. Their next dance is the Tango. Bit of pressure there as Vincent is the the Tango King! Judging from her tweets, Dani's really getting into it. I take your point about Louisa's Jive. Looking back, it wasn't polished but I think a lot of people (including myself) got swept away by the joy of it and were surprised by how good it was considering the minimal training/rehearsal. I reckon it's my most iconic Strictly dance.

Credit where credit's due, Denise & James did a beautiful Viennese Waltz. The only thing is, there's no great surprise when they dance well. I sort of expect it. Ian to the rescue this week as James is injured.

Some blueberry muffins and Kettle Chips to keep you going guys x
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Oi Oi Sid :)

The shop sells handmade jewellery and quirky homeware, it belongs to my daughters but I help them out quite a lot especially since the boys were born.

Hope your appointment goes well, what's wrong with your lugs old chap ?

Danni and Vincent did well, hope she pulls it out the bag next week in the tango too.

* Hoovers up kettle chips *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Oi Oi Sid :)

The shop sells handmade jewellery and quirky homeware, it belongs to my daughters but I help them out quite a lot especially since the boys were born.

Hope your appointment goes well, what's wrong with your lugs old chap ?

Danni and Vincent did well, hope she pulls it out the bag next week in the tango too.

* Hoovers up kettle chips *

Oi Oi Buttons :cool:

Shop sounds cool :) Our Buddy does handmade jewellary too!

My ears are inflamed & infected. It's all a bit minging and painful. Am hoping for a dishy consultant. Will keep you posted ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my, haven't been on here for several days.:o

So many people have gone over to twitter, and then you have to wade through so many repetetive and unpleasant threads going over the same old ground that I find myself a bit less enthusiastic about visiting at all.:(

Never mind - bacon butties to cheer me up and then a nice brisk walk with my dog.:D

Hope the lugs are improving Sid.:)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't particularly care for twitter - I have one, but I rarely use it anymore.

I'm not really caring much about Strictly this year either though, it just all seems a bit bland and unexciting :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of into it, but not as much as other years. I'm hoping somebody dances something really outstanding soon. I think it's because I don't have a favourite this year. I like certain dances by certain people - Denise and Dani's jives, Denise's foxtrot, Michael's quickstep etc. I'm kind of rooting for Michael to do a good latin as I like his partnership with Natalie. Overall it's just missing something this year, but I don't know what. Perhaps it is because the dancing is mediocre. The pro dances have been more miss than hit with me as well so I've not really even been looking forward to them. I'm definitely not a fan of shirtless dancing even when done by the good looking pros... Though maybe that is because my Pasha crush has subsided this year too (it's still there but just not as strongly).
    This year the forums aren't grabbing me as much either. In the past I've wanted to read loads of threads and comment a lot, but now I find myself skipping over everything thinking 'same old rubbish'.
    Oh dear :(