Trivial things that annoy you intensely.

Comments

• Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or wait until you have jumped out of the way and then decide to indicate.

Once, a 'family' were about one and a half metres from the kerb when I pulled into the side road with the indicator on. Despite this, I still received unwanted gestures, from the adults and the children.

People who lower the pitch of their voice at the end of a sentence.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    The popularity of saying dates the American way came about after the New York terror attacks. Just because the Americans called it "9/11", like a brand name, we had to do the same. Talking about "September 11th" though was inconsistent with how we said dates here so I guess that, annoyingly, the media adapated to the US format to accommodate that.

I wouldn't so much mind if the voiceover said 'May the third' (a la 'September the eleventh') or even 'May, third' (although that would be pushing it), but this 'May Three' business just makes me want to punch something smaller and weaker than myself. It really is just adapted from the iconic '9/11' name coined for the Twin Towers catastrophe - which is a pretty unsettling thing to copy just to name movie release dates.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When TV trailers/ads copy each other.
    For a while now, they've all been trying to outdo each other in finding the soppiest, baby-voiced girl-type song they can.
    Now they've started using the damn same track! Sky are currently running a trailer for their Greggs documentary and the tune in the background has been on at least two adverts previously. Grr, it drives me nuts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting at the train station minding my own business, using the 3G on my phone

A train will come past and my phone will try to connect to The Cloud Wifi on the train, which requires a sign on, killing my internet connection

Really annoys the piss out of me, yet sometimes i do use the Cloud wifi at Starbacks, Maccies etc so i can't tell my phone to forget the network.

First world problems.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    People and books who refer to the Jack in a pack of cards as a "knave". Bloody Enid Blyton books always used to do that. It's a bloody *Jack* - it's even got a "J" in the corner to remind you!

To me its always been the Jack too. :confused:
    Perhaps the confusion comes from that old rhyme 'The Queen of Hearts she made some tarts/The Knave of Hearts stole those tarts" etc... :confused:
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Emptying the cutlery rack from the dishwasher and collecting all the knives to put into the right bit of the cutlery thing in the drawer, then spotting another knife still in the rack, hidden behind a spoon.

You did say trivial, yeah?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife buying stuff that is not needed and is actually worse than the existing item.

Examples include the new dish rack which didn't have a knife/fork/spoon holder so we had to then buy a seperate thing for them. It won't stand up and frequently falls over with a great crash, spilling its contents over the draining board and floor. It drives me f***ing spare. Nowt wrong with the old one.

The swish set of electronic bathroom scales that can only show EITHER metric or imperial, not both. She bought these 'because she was going on a diet', but the old mechanical scales (good quality Salter ones, the same as used by my doctor) worked perfectly. The new ones often crash and say silly things like 00:00 or 88:88. Bloody maddening.

We love each other dearly, but she can't resist this shite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    USB Slots, there are only two ways they can go in, so it's 50/50 yeah? So why do i ALWAYS get it wrong the first time?

Always.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    USB Slots, there are only two ways they can go in, so it's 50/50 yeah? So why do i ALWAYS get it wrong the first time?

Always.

Same here. My laptop upstairs is 'upside down' compared to our main PC, and this causes even more confusion.
    Funnily enough, the tiny connector on my camera ALWAYS goes in first time!

Edit: They're coming thick and fast now. The use of the word FAYRE to give an olde worlde appearance. 'Drop in and sample our traditional wholesome FAYRE'. Christ almighty, it's FARE.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »

Always.

You and me both, mate. If there are two ways of doing ANYTHING - I will always choose the wrong one first.

If there are more than two ways of doing a thing - I've had it!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old men called John who insist on being called Jack!:confused:

What is the point?

Jack is just another 4 letter name beginning with 'J', so they might as well be known by their actual name.

For 28 years I've known my Grandad on my mums side as Grandad Jack, about a year ago I found out his actual name is John.

I really don't get it either.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is putting a dish in the dishwasher nigh on impossible without it going in squint and lousing up the rest you want to put in?
  • Rice_and_PeasRice_and_Peas Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    People who eat cheese in church...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Sadsacks that put eyelashes on their car headlights.

My workmate who is always bitching that she is so overloaded with work, but then spends half the day on personal calls :rolleyes:

Peugeot cars.

Being stuck in the office when it is such a beautiful day outside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadsacks that put eyelashes on their car headlights.
    My workmate who is always bitching that she is so overloaded with work, but then spends half the day on personal calls :rolleyes:

Peugeot cars.

Being stuck in the office when it is such a beautiful day outside.

Indeed, there's one around here that has those. Her car is also pink with stick-on flowers all over it. I'll bet she's an aerobics instructor or a hairdresser.
    I must confess to getting a little irked by people who put those Mickey Mouse heads on their car aerials too.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Chiles! Need I say more? Does that count in this discussion? xD
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    People that describe themselves as "confused.com"
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tractors, lorries and other slow-moving contraptions that insist on congesting the roads during rush hour when people are trying to get to work!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people in the gym changing rooms take up a whole bench with their stuff, when there's easily room for three people' s kit. And they still dont bother to make room even when they see someone else whose locker is also next to the bench. That used to annoy me. These days when I finish my workout and some selfish plonker is taking up the whole bench and doesn't have the courtsey to make a bit of space, I just undress and make I obvious I'm about to sit down on the bench and plant my bare naked, extremely sweaty backside on the bench regardless if they move their stuff or not...funny how they always do though. Either that, or stand over their stuff as the sweat pores off me onto their nice designer gear or iPod, again, they soon get the message.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People that describe themselves as "confused.com"

Or "bored.com" :mad:
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The road is for vehicles not pedestrians. Stick to the pavement and cross at designated pedestrian crossings.:rolleyes:

Question for you - there's no pedestrian crossing anywhere on my street. So how do I get to the bus stop on the opposite side of the street? (Incidentally, it's quiet enough to not need road markings other than at the junction at either end.)
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Some people in the gym changing rooms take up a whole bench with their stuff, when there's easily room for three people' s kit. And they still dont bother to make room even when they see someone else whose locker is also next to the bench. That used to annoy me. These days when I finish my workout and some selfish plonker is taking up the whole bench and doesn't have the courtsey to make a bit of space, I just undress and make I obvious I'm about to sit down on the bench and plant my bare naked, extremely sweaty backside on the bench regardless if they move their stuff or not...funny how they always do though. Either that, or stand over their stuff as the sweat pores off me onto their nice designer gear or iPod, again, they soon get the message.

Or people who do their hair before going to the gym, what is the point in that!?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who says 'anyhoo!'.

I hate that so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't so much mind if the voiceover said 'May the third' (a la 'September the eleventh') or even 'May, third' (although that would be pushing it), but this 'May Three' business just makes me want to punch something smaller and weaker than myself. It really is just adapted from the iconic '9/11' name coined for the Twin Towers catastrophe - which is a pretty unsettling thing to copy just to name movie release dates.

On a related note, I was recently informed that we shouldn't even write the superscript on dates any more as it's "old fashioned". We're now supposed to write 3 May 2013 instead of 3rd May 2013. It makes no sense to me, I like to write things how they should be read and would read it as "third" instead of "three".
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who start sentences with the word "So". Seems very common when people are being interviewed on TV.
This discussion has been closed.