Options

Are this seasons QPR the worst Prem team ever?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, on paper there have been worse teams like Derby 07/08 and Sunderland in 02/03 and 05/06. But with the amount of money QPR hadf to spend and a quality manager in charge in Harry Redknapp compared to those teams, in theory they were the worst Prem team ever

Comments

• Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Derby side you mentioned were
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely top 3 for those reasons but the worst PL team ever has to be Derby.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Ok, on paper there have been worse teams like Derby 07/08 and Sunderland in 02/03 and 05/06. But with the amount of money QPR hadf to spend and a quality manager in charge in Harry Redknapp compared to those teams, in theory they were the worst Prem team ever

Must admit after we were relegated in 2004 we were called the
    Worst team in pl history and when you look at the players
    We had you had to question their commitment but maybe that'swhy we went down but then again finances wete dire
    Then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Must admit after we were relegated in 2004 we were called the
    Worst team in pl history and when you look at the players
    We had you had to question their commitment but maybe that'swhy we went down but then again finances wete dire
    Then

Leeds weren't rock bottom and didn't break any records for lowest points, so I wouldn't say they were one of the worst sides ever

Apart from Derby, the sides with the worst defences were much earlier in Swindon 93/94 and Ipswich 94/95
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Leeds weren't rock bottom and didn't break any records for lowest points, so I wouldn't say they were one of the worst sides ever

Apart from Derby, the sides with the worst defences were much earlier in Swindon 93/94 and Ipswich 94/95

Agree there but look at the squad we had and it should never have happened but yes agree with your point
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Sunderland 02-03 finished on 19 points with only 4 league wins that season.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Derby finished 20th in 07/08 with 11 points and 1 league win
  • Options
    MartenMarten Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Harry Redknapp is not a quality manager. He is the most overrated manager in English football, not good enough for the Premier League IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marten wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp is not a quality manager. He is the most overrated manager in English football, not good enough for the Premier League IMO.

He did a decent job at Spurs and Pompey, but the press love him way too much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    No, the Derby team of 2007/08 is very much the worst team in Premier League history.
  • Options
    PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swindon '94?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I think the Derby side you mentioned were
    By performance Derby were the worst ever with just 11 points all season and the first team to be relegated in March. Bookmakers Paddy Power decided to pay out on the club to be relegated after just five games of the new season, such were their initial prospects.

I don't think QPR were any better or worse than the some of the other teams that have been relegated. Certainly you can't lay all the blame at Harry Redknapp's door when it was Mark Hughes poor management and transfers choices that put them in that position in the first place.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derby were dreadful that season. Utterly dreadful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Be interested to see how much QPR actually spent
    Ythis season compared to other teams mentioned
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I reckon they are light years ahead of Crystal Palace who were like Stoke Lite today.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penrose wrote: »
    Swindon '94?

Derby 07/08 were statistically worse.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't Sunderland surpass that with an even worse points total in 2005/06?
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Derby finished 20th in 07/08 with 11 points and 1 league win

I wonder if any team could do worse and become the first team to fail to win a single game in any full season in either the Premier League or Football League?:eek:
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the stats say it's hard to think of any team that just did not live up to the sum of it's parts as badly as QPR did. Must be the most disjointed and disparate collection of players ever in the prem I'd say. In fairness, could anyone have really predicted how completely useless the likes of Hoillet, Park, Bosingwa and Fabio would be? On paper they all looked like decent acquisitions.... certainly not the liabilities they turned out to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    I reckon they are light years ahead of Crystal Palace who were like Stoke Lite today.
    I wonder if any team could do worse and become the first team to fail to win a single game in any full season in either the Premier League or Football League?:eek:

I wouldn't be surprised. :D
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Sunderland surpass that with an even worse points total in 2005/06?

They did with Mick McCarthy and then Kevin Ball leading them to 15 points, only managing 3 wins over Boro, West Brom and Fulham

Is McCarthy the only manager to get sacked by 2 PL clubs who went down?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You can't have a team in both
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

What do you base on that statement on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    You can't have a team in both

The FL divisions are all much of a muchness, I don't think it's possible for any team to be so bad as to not win a game.

The Premier League, though, is a different kettle of fish. The gap between it and the FL is getting bigger all the time, it wouldn't surprise me if a team that gets promoted despite struggling for long periods at the lower level, then immediately loses its best player, and has a manager who admits himself he hasn't got a clue how they're going to stay up, turns out to be so hopeless as to be unable to beat anybody.

Not looking great for Palace.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think your opinion is shared by those actually in football. It's easy to fool the media pundits, but not football insiders. He was far more than "good enough" in the Premier League for Spurs, Pompey and West Ham. He was given a near impossible job at QPR and he came close to pulling it off until the draw against Wigan took the wind out of the sails. If he'd been appointed during the summer, after Hodgson got the England job, things would have been very different. QPR would have been in the top ten.

Derby were the worst performers in the PL, by long way.