Options

"The Following" on Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    I can see it now " The public demanded a sequel Ryan, so I had to return..."

Err ... no we didn't Joe.

Problem even to the very end is that everybody including the FBI are just fodder for Joe and his gang of nutters and it just becomes tiresome to see him get his own way show after show.

The only thing that made it interesting was the psycho gangs tendency to implode and Claires ability to get under Joe's skin....literally !

Not happy with the stupidity of the authorities or that they had to resort to torture and murder..I'm sure it could be held up as some kind of commentary on how we deal with terrorists et all, but it just felt lazy, stupid and gratuitous.
    I'm guessing it got good viewing figures, that's why it's got a second season.

Don't include me in the 'we'. ;)
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was predictable, and yes the cops were idiots, but then they had to be to get a series out of it really didn't they.

Enjoyed it all, looking forward to the second season. Myself and my partner have now coined any fight between us a 'Ryan hardy', he's the closest we've had to a 'Bauer' for a while!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are still a few Followers left right??

Emma
    The guy who helped bury Parker and kidnap Ryan
    Didn't the chief FBI guy say that some of them had gotten away after the massacre in Episode 14??

Also I don't think Caroll would have been stupid enough to get all his followers to gather at the house so he's probably got plenty in reserve
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    There are still a few Followers left right??

Emma
    The guy who helped bury Parker and kidnap Ryan
    Didn't the chief FBI guy say that some of them had gotten away after the massacre in Episode 14??

Also I don't think Caroll would have been stupid enough to get all his followers to gather at the house so he's probably got plenty in reserve
    There was a scene in a diner, I think, where someone got upset watching a news report, ran out....not sure if she was seen again....so there's another one.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after re watching the finale, it dissapointed me alot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    There was a scene in a diner, I think, where someone got upset watching a news report, ran out....not sure if she was seen again....so there's another one.

I thought the girl in the diner was Emma in disguise
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the girl in the diner was Emma in disguise

Yes it was Emma wearing a bad wig, upset at the news about Joe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it was Emma wearing a bad wig, upset at the news about Joe.

Didn't she have a similar hairstyle when she first met Joe??
  • Options
    Ghost MisguidedGhost Misguided Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joes book sounds pretty rubbish
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Finally got round to watching the last few episodes, a good series overall even if it was obvious what was going to happen most of the time.

The bits with Parker in the coffin where very sad but again you knew Ryan would get there but just too late.

I am guessing the 2nd series will focus on Emma continuing Joe's work
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit late to the discussion, but I am so glad the series is over and I don't have to watch this poorly written excuse of a thriller ever again. To try to answer the "why did you watch?" question, the idea of the story sold it to me even if the execution was appalling. I hung on in the hope it would get into its stride and even enjoyed a couple of the episodes. Especially those where we were given a glimpse of Joe collecting his followers - we needed more of that.

And that is my big issue with the show. This whole series feels like it should have been the 3rd part in a trilogy instead of the 1st of who knows how many. If we had seen Joe and Claire in love and living a normal life, his emergence as a psychopathic serial killer could have been chilling as opposed to the stereotypical nonsense it was. The second series could have covered Ryan's downward spiral into alcohol with Joe continuing to reign supreme - this time in a penitentiary visitor's room rather than the classroom. We know there are people who are attracted to serial killers, it's such a wasted opportunity that this aspect wasn't explored more. And then finally the chase, the series we have just watched. Even if the writing hadn't improved at least we would have grown to know the characters and be emotionally invested in them to a degree.

Instead we got cardboard cut-outs of everyone from FBI agents to Followers to 'bad parents' to hick town Sheriff and I couldn't give a toss about any of them. Ironically, the only one able to crawl her way out of a dire script and give a half decent and sympathetic performance had her character buried alive as part of the "Ta-Daa!" finale. Your sacrifice won't go unnoticed by me Annie Parisse and at least you can go on to better things :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FBI woman's flashback to her time with a cult was a bit of a waste as no further mention was made of it
  • Options
    socialdancersocialdancer Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I stayed with this series because I love Kevin Bacon, but I won't be watching the next series. The last episode was so disappointing. First of all, I couldn't believe that Claire didn't want to be brought to Joey immediately, instead there she was preparing for a nice night in bed with Ryan. I wasn't convinced that they wouldn't manage to bring Joe back in some way, even though he should have been disintegrated to kingdom come by the fire and explosion, but already they were leaving a doubt in the viewer's mind. Also, it was amazing how quickly people recovered from truly awful injuries :eek:

I did enjoy it, but will live quite happily without seeing more. I think this has been the first tv series Kevin Bacon has done, and I hope that by continuing on, he doesn't damage his reputation because it does look as if it could get a whole lot sillier.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My love for Mike has me hooked so I will definately be watching the next season :D
  • Options
    SazzybluegirlSazzybluegirl Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    My love for Mike has me hooked so I will definately be watching the next season :D

Me too. :)
    And also will be watching to see that B***h Emma get whats comimg to her.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed it, but then I wasn't expecting to tune in and see first class thriller! You have seen scream right, it has its tongue so firmly in its cheek it was not going to be anything more than popcorn TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    FBI woman's flashback to her time with a cult was a bit of a waste as no further mention was made of it
    Maybe she didn't really die and it was her sister burried alive. Otherwise the double mention at the end of calling her sister would be redundant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Again this shows laughable attempts at drama force me to write my comment. The writers are so bent on edge of the seat drama crammed in as short a time as possible they throw all logic and common sense out of the door and step on the gas. If it was a comedy it would rank alongside Police Squad or Airplane. As a taut drama its a complete embarassment. Roll on Season 2. I can't wait, in spite of all the pointless death and mayhem, which I hate. Can the plot get any more ludicrous?
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big*Bear wrote: »
    Again this shows laughable attempts at drama force me to write my comment. The writers are so bent on edge of the seat drama crammed in as short a time as possible they throw all logic and common sense out of the door and step on the gas. If it was a comedy it would rank alongside Police Squad or Airplane. As a taut drama its a complete embarassment. Roll on Season 2. I can't wait, in spite of all the pointless death and mayhem, which I hate. Can the plot get any more ludicrous?

The final scene; he's finally at home with his girlfriend after weeks of people being knifed in the dark and yet they don't turn on the ****** lights!

If they can get a 3rd or 4th season out of this they will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It continues to amuse me how people take this so seriously, its not like its a documentary! Its escapism TV at its finest, suspend belief and leave your sense of logic and reason at the door!
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Can't remember when I last saw so much talent create so little. Stuck it out to the end but was crushingly disappointed by it. Won't be watching S2.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me too. :)
    And also will be watching to see that B***h Emma get whats comimg to her.:D

Glad I'm not the only one :)

Yeh I hope she does!
  • Options
    Mykey38Mykey38 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to watch the last 4 episodes over the last 2 days and on the whole it was a bit of a chore to get through.
    Some of the plots had people behaving so obviously incorrectly to what you would expect you knew what the outcome would be.
    The next series needs to be written far more intelligently than this if it is to stand any chance.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit late to the discussion, but I am so glad the series is over and I don't have to watch this poorly written excuse of a thriller ever again. To try to answer the "why did you watch?" question, the idea of the story sold it to me even if the execution was appalling. I hung on in the hope it would get into its stride and even enjoyed a couple of the episodes. Especially those where we were given a glimpse of Joe collecting his followers - we needed more of that.

And that is my big issue with the show. This whole series feels like it should have been the 3rd part in a trilogy instead of the 1st of who knows how many. If we had seen Joe and Claire in love and living a normal life, his emergence as a psychopathic serial killer could have been chilling as opposed to the stereotypical nonsense it was. The second series could have covered Ryan's downward spiral into alcohol with Joe continuing to reign supreme - this time in a penitentiary visitor's room rather than the classroom. We know there are people who are attracted to serial killers, it's such a wasted opportunity that this aspect wasn't explored more. And then finally the chase, the series we have just watched. Even if the writing hadn't improved at least we would have grown to know the characters and be emotionally invested in them to a degree.

Instead we got cardboard cut-outs of everyone from FBI agents to Followers to 'bad parents' to hick town Sheriff and I couldn't give a toss about any of them. Ironically, the only one able to crawl her way out of a dire script and give a half decent and sympathetic performance had her character buried alive as part of the "Ta-Daa!" finale. Your sacrifice won't go unnoticed by me Annie Parisse and at least you can go on to better things :p

Whilst I love your ideas for the series, the problem with that is that producers would be scared that it would get cancelled after the first series and the main story wouldn't be told. US TV does seem to be hit the ground running TV rather than build up. I imagine Star Trek DS9 would have been axed if it was made now for that very reason.

PJ
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel9624 wrote: »
    It continues to amuse me how people take this so seriously, its not like its a documentary! Its escapism TV at its finest, suspend belief and leave your sense of logic and reason at the door!

^^^ x 100. I've just watched all 15 episodes back to back and though not easily spooked I have to admit I went to sleep with the lights on!

This programme had everything to keep me engrossed. Yes there were certain aspects that made me wonder - for instance, wouldn't a serial killer's visits from disparate people be recorded? But that would have negated the raison d'etre of the plot so I didn't let it spoil my enjoyment.

All I want in a drama is that it keeps me engaged, makes me salivate at the thought of the next episode, and weep that I have to wait until January for the next series.