X Factor - Ratings Thread

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Not even Miley?

Miley is probably the nearest bet and she'll probably give a bit of a boost (she's bound to be on at some point) but even she doesn't come close to the insane levels of interest in Britney at the time.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    A show of over 2 hours hasn't harmed it in the past so it must be down to viewers not warming to the acts yet.

No but then if they want to stop the decline maybe thats an idea.
    Too many poor acts this year doesn't help as well.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    No but then if they want to stop the decline maybe thats an idea.
    Too many poor acts at the early stages perhaps as well.

Or judges. It was doing well in the earlier stages, being up year on year but its now down.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    might be talking complete nonsense here but does anyone wonder if last night's theme was a reaction to concerns about ratings and given how well an act like chris Maloney did last year with cheesey ballads an attempt to appeal to that demographic

I think so, yes. I've noticed that Big Band week is returning as well that was always very popular although I always hated it.

The problem X Factor is having an identity crisis. It was always a family show, a bit naff, lots of pub singer types singing big ballads from the 80's and 90's, but people enjoyed that. The age of an artist was never an issue back then, they were never treated any differently.

The show then decided it wanted to be current and young and became obsessed with yoof, and in particular urban acts an emo types with affected singing voices and messy hair. The emphasis was on contemporary young music, which was fine, but that's not what made the show popular.

If you want a broad appeal you needs songs that everyone knows, and a lot of older people have never heard of half the songs that today's acts are singing. Viewers started to switch off because they were being alienated and sidelined, and the ones that didn't got behind Maloney because he was the only one signing the songs they'd actually heard of.

I think they know they made a mistake but they need to make their minds up where they want to take the show from here? Last night they told Shelley she was "dated", well what the hell do you expect from an 80's night?

They can't have it all ways. I'd love it to go back the basics, as in series one to three. No frills, just singing.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    They could have tried to reverse all the problems of last two years but they seem to have missed out a few. The studio needed a revamp. They needed to capture the public's imagination with this years finalists.

Simon returning will probably get more out of the acts.

Where its lacking at the moment is a positive vibe to it. Do you think its too late to sort these out this year (bar Simon)?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    think they have messed up with the flash vote and the removal of deadlock and will be interesting to see if that has an impact on the ratings for the sunday show going forward
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@jscummins: ITV Ratings: The X Factor was the most watched show of the night, peaking with 10.9m, averaging 9.5m"

The X Factor wins Sundays. I told you. You all worry too much! :p
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@jscummins: ITV Ratings: The X Factor was the most watched show of the night, peaking with 10.9m, averaging 9.5m"

people watching last night would not have known about the change to deadlock however

it was how it affects ratings going forward if people just assume that whoever lost the flash vote on the Saturday is going to get sent home

I know that didn't happen last night but It is an assumption that will be easy to make
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »

Crisis.
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought X Factor why dying. 9.5m and 10.9m peak. Most shows would love this
    Forum Member
    Pretty much level with last year despite there being no controversy over the result.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are pessimistic because Strictly is doing better afaik
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    The SCD results shows are odd. They don't work as a pre-recorded show; it loses something so well done to XF.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    Well obviously Strictly is now "in crisis" Samuel? X Factor rose a million week-on-week. I think it's going to be like this until the end of the run, Strictly wins the Saturday and X Factor wins the Sunday, why they don't just move the entire show to Sunday night is beyond me. It's obviously the right night to air it
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously Strictly is now "in crisis" Samuel? X Factor rose a million week-on-week. I think it's going to be like this until the end of the run, Strictly wins the Saturday and X Factor wins the Sunday, why they don't just move the entire show to Sunday night is beyond me. It's obviously the right night to air it

Because Saturday nights are more valuable in ad revenue and has a better demo.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Everything is fine. If Corrie and EE have worked side by side for years, XF and SCD will also work well side by side. It does get tiring when XF drops a little that people say its the end. I feel many just say this because they simply don't like ITV and or Cowell.
  • Mykey38Mykey38 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to throw my opinion into the ring about ratings. The big issue for families with X-Factor is the length of the show and the time it starts.
    I am not a fan of XF and never have been and made my feelings well know about both saturday and sunday night viewing being taken over by this show.
    On saturday night if you make the choice to watch XF then there isnt room to watch anything else, it finishes too late for the adults to watch a film so then you are looking at watching something you have recorded during the week. You can watch SCD and Atlantis as a family and then watch something decent after that.
    In our house XF is on Sky+ and then watched on Sunday morning and you can get to watch the bits you want to see in about an hour rather than the 2 hours + if you watched live.

I dont think its down to Strictly that the ratings have dropped I think they would have dropped regardless as lots of people have just had enough of the manipulation, the tears and the continual changes to try and manufacture interest.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see it rebound so much, but the year on year comparisons for the Saturday and Sunday shows are quite brutal. 1m down on Saturday, 180k down last night. Very strange. It will be interesting to see the official figures and then a yoy comparison there.

It will be also interesting to see where it goes from here, now its more or less in the same position as it was last year after regaining viewers after a middle stages blip. Will it just mirror last year at a slightly lower level or hold on to its audience?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    Because Saturday nights are more valuable in ad revenue and has a better demo.

But surely with the ratings being consistently higher for the Sunday show this year, advertisers will look for the biggest reach which is going to undoubtedly be the Sunday night show
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    X Factor will always do better on Sundays as the people who normally watch X Factor like Teens or Young Adults most of them are probably out on a Saturday and will catch up with The Saturday show the next day and stay in and watch The Sunday show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely with the ratings being consistently higher for the Sunday show this year, advertisers will look for the biggest reach which is going to undoubtedly be the Sunday night show

You could argue that but advertisers look at the demographic rather than the reach on it's own. They want to target the more valuable demographic with the greatest reach for that demographic, not any demographic but a bigger reach.

Saturday prime time is much more valuable ad space, agencies will pay a hell of a lot more for that space if the audience is strong because the demographic is better on that night.

Advertisers want demographics who have a high disposable income and act on impulse. If you pad out the demo with parents for example, you'll not get the same kind of conversion as you would with say teenagers.

The younger demographics (which are who are are targeting), particularly in the autumn and winter months are actually available as a demographic. The ones who are out down the pub are older, contrary to popular belief they aren't the school age kids playing with mum and dads credit cards.

Also for the older end of the demographic, autumn and winter being colder and rainier draws them indoors more.

X Factor will always do better on Sundays as the people who normally watch X Factor like Teens or Young Adults most of them are probably out on a Saturday and will catch up with The Saturday show the next day and stay in and watch The Sunday show.

That's not strictly true when you dig down into the demographics and consider the time of year. It's more true in the spring and summer, not so much in the autumn and winter.

To draw an anecdote, noticed the adverts for alcohol and such have slowed down a lot?

There is a reason for that.

It's also much easier to draw them indoors over the autumn and winter than it is over the spring and summer.
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    You could argue that but advertisers look at the demographic rather than the reach on it's own. They want to target the more valuable demographic with the greatest reach for that demographic, not any demographic but a bigger reach.

Saturday prime time is much more valuable ad space, agencies will pay a hell of a lot more for that space if the audience is strong because the demographic is better on that night.

Advertisers want demographics who have a high disposable income and act on impulse. If you pad out the demo with parents for example, you'll not get the same kind of conversion as you would with say teenagers.

The younger demographics (which are who are are targeting), particularly in the autumn and winter months are actually available as a demographic. The ones who are out down the pub are older, contrary to popular belief they aren't the school age kids playing with mum and dads credit cards.

Also for the older end of the demographic, autumn and winter being colder and rainier draws them indoors more.

That's not strictly true when you dig down into the demographics and consider the time of year. It's more true in the spring and summer, not so much in the autumn and winter.

To draw an anecdote, noticed the adverts for alcohol and such have slowed down a lot?

There is a reason for that.

It's also much easier to draw them indoors over the autumn and winter than it is over the spring and summer.
    I don't get you're point at all it is true as a Young Adult myself I've noticed it people my age are most of time out on Saturdays and will catch up on X Factor on either ITV Player, The Repeat on Sunday or Record it and watch it whenever.
    Forum Member
    The X Factor is stronger in most demographics on Sunday and the Corrie/Downton sandwich it was in last night properly helped it in the 65+ age group particularly where it tends to struggle. It's true that a lot of young adults will be out on Saturday night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get you're point at all it is true as a Young Adult myself I've noticed it people my age are most of time out on Saturdays and will catch up on X Factor on either ITV Player, The Repeat on Sunday or Record it and watch it whenever.

Honestly, what I'm saying is true and I'm talking from professional experience. It's not just a random musing.

Campaigns that run around alcohol, parties, nights out etc. run strongest through the spring and summer months (mainly the summertime) with the exception of Christmas and New Year for obvious reasons.

This is because the majority of that demographic are out during the summer months not so much through the autumn and winter. That doesn't mean a large block don't go out or that even a majority don't.

They are just far more whimsical during the autumn and winter and it's much easier to draw them in. The weather plays a huge role in that. They are nowhere near as consistent and far less likely to choose night out over night in because the weather is poor and emotionally people change through the autumn and winter so they aren't as "up for it".

Serious question, where have all the drink aware adverts gone? Where have all the WKD adverts gone?

You'll see them, but they are nowhere near as prominent, it's not worth spending tens of thousands of pounds or even hundreds of thousands of pounds (or more) on prime ad space at this time of year on those products.

There is a reason for that, the consumers are less likely to buy.

ETA:
    You'll also notice, if you look at programming, that prime shows run at certain points in the year. Namely early spring and autumn/winter, this is because the prime audiences are higher at those points.

Taking reality shows, why is it that we get BGT in early spring, Strictly, XFactor, IAC and so on during the autumn and winter and not in mid July?

You could also argue that BGT run's for a short period of time due to this, the window just isn't that broad when it airs. If it were to push into Summer the audience would dip.

You can apply the same to talk shows, TV showings of movies, dramas etc. etc. etc. All the big shows run during certain points of the year to match where the demographic's seasonal behavioral patterns leads them.

You can also apply this to product launches and the types of product that are launched. If you stand back and look at marketing trends it's very clear.

Also, whats your age and gender and that of your friends?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    People are pessimistic because Strictly is doing better afaik

The X Factor is still big it's just not as big. Soaps aren't as big as they were a few years back either.