Options

Abi sucked all of the Disco out of that song !

Comments

• Options
    IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eva Cassidy recorded Over the Rainbow and it didn't sound anything like the original Judy Garland song, but it was still a massive hit. I like what Abby does.

an excelent post
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iofiel wrote: »
    She's got everyone on tender hooks becuase it was a BEUTIFUL performance!! HAHAHAHA!"

I quite liked it, but it simply wasn't disco.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem that Abi has is that she never looks like she is actually enjoying performing on stage. She needs to let herself go a bit, and let her personality show.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    That's not really true. EC's s Over the Rainbow was totally recognisable as the original song, just an updated reinterpretation. She hit all the high notes of Garland and was genuinely emotional.

Everyone knows that Abi only sang the way she did because she simply couldn't have sung the original in any other form. She has a limited range and can only do one style - and that not very well. She breathes all the time and in the middle of phrases which is inelegant and difficult to listen to. The judges said she was brave but retreating to your comfort zone when everyone else is doing as asked isn't brave, it's accepting your limitations. That said, it was the right tactic. She was brave last week and it was poor.

I agree with all of this.

This is all Abi has to offer and we will either see her perform as she did tonight or fall flat on her face. I would prefer to see her do her thing, but as you say, it is predictable and not very good.
  • Options
    Linda_BloomLinda_Bloom Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I had to resubscribe to DS just to give my opinion on Abi.

I think her rendition was amazing. What a change from the strong power voices that every other female contestant seem to possess. She has a Katie Melua quality, that in my opinion I is far more unique.

She won't win X factor, but she certainly has a career ahead of her. I personally don't give a toss that it was disco week. That girl is just a great performer.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to stomp on your first post but abi's voice is like nails scraping down a blackboard compared to Katie melua

similar in style maybe , huge gulf in quality
  • Options
    Mykey38Mykey38 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to smile at the Abi supporters, far from making her a star this show could actually destroy her As a recording artist the longer she stays in it.

There are at least 5 or 6 acts who are in front of her I am afraid.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going with the scenario that justified you the most. If you're no kid, then there's no excuse. When you say "Abi is an incredible talent", that goes beyond an opinion. That's a statement that you expect others to take for granted.
    But I'll give you that: Rylan is more talented than Abi. At least nobody got bored during his performances, no matter how awful they were, vocals-wise. And Rylan also had the banter with Gary, which was both funny and a proof of some kind of personality, something that Abi lacks.

And don't call me "babe"!
    Why? That makes no sense. An opinion is an opinion it's as simple as that, not my problem if you can't handle it or see it as more than that. I actually think they're ALL talented (even Hannah who I openly dislike).

I think Rylan & Abi are as talented as each other but in different ways. There are a lot of people who love Abi's performances and don't get bored throughout. I didn't; personally I couldn't take my eyes off her and I enjoyed it. Rylan was a brilliant performer and yes he did have lots of banter because that's his personality... Just because Abi doesn't; does NOT mean she doesn't have one. She's actually a really funny girl if you knew more about her.

If you call me a "kid" then I'll call you whatever I like. Deal with it. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt she'll survive much longer. Feeble voice and niche appeal.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I agree with all of this.

This is all Abi has to offer and we will either see her perform as she did tonight or fall flat on her face. I would prefer to see her do her thing, but as you say, it is predictable and not very good.

Yup.

Brave was -and I dont really like him much- Nicholas trying to do an upbeat song and dancing, he obviously cannot dance, he looked very very awkward and so not enjoying it at all, but he did it, he didnt do it very well, but he at least tried to be in the spirit of the show.

Abi doing what she is best at isnt brave at all, its the exact opposite.

Had she come out in a sequined leotard and belted it out like Gloria Gayner, now that would have been brave.
  • Options
    Donna65Donna65 Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup.

Brave was -and I dont really like him much- Nicholas trying to do an upbeat song and dancing, he obviously cannot dance, he looked very very awkward and so not enjoying it at all, but he did it, he didnt do it very well, but he at least tried to be in the spirit of the show.

Abi doing what she is best at isnt brave at all, its the exact opposite.

Had she come out in a sequined leotard and belted it out like Gloria Gayner, now that would have been brave.

Nice post, Charlotte!
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

I might have voted for her if she had done that , at least it would have been entertaining , altho maybe not in a good way
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that Abi will win, or even be in the top 3, but I did enjoy her version of this song and I didn't find it dull in the slightest.

I agree with another poster who said the arrangement was fantastic, the singing not so much.

I would like to think that this has bought Abi at least one more week in the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's got everyone on tender hooks becuase it was a BEUTIFUL performance!! HAHAHAHA!"

And tenterhooks too. ;)
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was utter shite
  • Options
    RussJRussJ Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Abi is only good when she sings her own songs. Can't take her slowing down ever song much more and now after last week I think the judges are watching what they say to her in case they make her cry. She as got to go soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it she just sucked.

Clearly she is the Janet Devlin mistake for this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i said before

abi is a real contender for the crown

people know this deep down and that is why they are saying negative things about her

she is a beautiful and gentle singer and i am glad that the general audience will see that, NOT the digital spy elite:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i said before

abi is a real contender for the crown

people know this deep down and that is why they are saying negative things about her

she is a beautiful and gentle singer and i am glad that the general audience will see that, NOT the digital spy elite:cool:

Yes - but that song is about hope after a relationship failed. It requires some grit in performance - there was none there. OK its not my favuorite disco record by a long chalk and it has been overplayed to death on X Factor, but it was just a wishy-washy ball of insignificance IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Yes - but that song is about hope after a relationship failed. It requires some grit in performance - there was none there. OK its not my favuorite disco record by a long chalk and it has been overplayed to death on X Factor, but it was just a wishy-washy ball of insignificance IMO.

abis piano playing perfectly showed the haunting side a relationship can be.

it was a good take considering that song has been done to death.

abi is on to a winner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ignore the ad hominems stacey, this lot know abi is a real contender and a threat to there favs, thats why there being so nasty.

Personally, I don't do rabid fandom - I judge each performance on its merits and the show solely on its ability to entertain; I honestly couldn't care less who wins and certainly have no interest in any of the contestants after the series ends; I actually like music. So, by the standards of this board, I consider myself impartial. Abi is vocally weak and her shtick is far from original. If what she does strikes a chord with some viewers then good for her, but lets not hide from the fact that nobody is voting for her singing. I suspect she attracts the Hunger Games/Twilight audience - young girls looking for a safe, emotional, release as their hormone levels spiral uncontrollably. Sorry if anybody thinks that's dismissive - I'll just cite the "it's my opinion" defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't do rabid fandom - I judge each performance on its merits and the show solely on its ability to entertain; I honestly couldn't care less who wins and certainly have no interest in any of the contestants after the series ends; I actually like music. So, by the standards of this board, I consider myself impartial. Abi is vocally weak and her shtick is far from original. If what she does strikes a chord with some viewers then good for her, but lets not hide from the fact that nobody is voting for her singing. I suspect she attracts the Hunger Games/Twilight audience - young girls looking for a safe, emotional, release as their hormone levels spiral uncontrollably. Sorry if anybody thinks that's dismissive - I'll just the "it's my opinion" defence.

Bit like Janet Devlin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I thought it was utter shite

well it was Abi after all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

abi is on to a winner

It was like Disco - without the balls.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

abi is on to a winner

No! It was shallow and vacuous. She's a little daddy's girl, lacking emotional maturity and a sense of her own sexuality. Her performances have some of the trappings of emotional intensity - the slow vocal, the pausing - but there's nothing real there. As I said in my last post, this is fine for tweeny-girls, but adults can see how little she really has to offer. Of course, tweeny-girls are allowed to buy records too - which is why Simon Cowell is rich.