Options

Liz is nice.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Slightly annoying, but she's grown on me a little bit.

I also though she looked quite hot last night!
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I'm finding it difficult to separate what I know about her & the rubbish she writes but inside the house, she's coming across as very nervous/anxious & quite a sad lady & I do feel a bit sorry for her.

However when she was in the DR & saying the BB environment reminded her of being back at school where she was bullied, I did get the impression she was playing the victim card.

Though I would like to see more of her as I think if she came out her shell a bit, she could be a great HM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly annoying, but she's grown on me a little bit.

I also though she looked quite hot last night!

She did look amazing, didn't she!
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz seems only to be able to voice her opinions with a pen or keyboard, she seems to find it hard (unless about the animals) to voice an opinion face to face.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yipgum wrote: »
    I was so pissed when she cleans the bathroom and then when walking by the classy Jasmine and Luisa in the bedroom as they're putting on their make-up gossiping and Jasmine says ."Great job Liz!"
    then Luisa pipes up, "Yeah, thanks Liz."
    Can't wait for those two to go and see them laugh on the other side of their face.

It's interesting how we see things so differently. I didn't see anything remotely antagonistic here, just Luisa and Jasmine chatting and minding their own business, Liz passing through, Luisa and Jasmine, seeing she was cleaning up, saying thanks, and then their reaction - a mix of surprise and puzzlement more than anything else - when Liz appeared to completely ignore them.

Liz is deaf (or hard of hearing anyway), so obviously didn't hear them and wasn't facing them so missed their comments. I don't think they realised that, just thought she was being her usual odd self, hence their slightly puzzled expressions.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    It's interesting how we see things so differently. I didn't see anything remotely antagonistic here, just Luisa and Jasmine chatting and minding their own business, Liz passing through, Luisa and Jasmine, seeing she was cleaning up, saying thanks, and then their reaction - a mix of surprise and puzzlement more than anything else - when Liz appeared to completely ignore them.

Liz is deaf (or hard of hearing anyway), so obviously didn't hear them and wasn't facing them so missed their comments. I don't think they realised that, just thought she was being her usual odd self, hence their slightly puzzled expressions.

You may be right as it is all impressionistic but I thought "Great job, Liz" a bit patronising - it's an expression Americans routinely use with small children. The context of their comments seemed a bit mean but I suppose I was taking them in conjunction with their earlier conversation when Luisa was very condescending about Liz's professional achievements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be right as it is all impressionistic but I thought "Great job, Liz" a bit patronising - it's an expression Americans routinely use with small children. The context of their comments seemed a bit mean but I suppose I was taking them in conjunction with their earlier conversation when Luisa was very condescending about Liz's professional achievements.

Do you mean the breakfast conversation? All Luisa did IIRC was express genuine surprise that someone who HAD achieved what Liz had (editorship of Marie Claire) and all that goes with a position like that in a fast-paced and very competition industry, could have ended up so ill-at-ease and socially inept. I saw no barbs at all, merely genuine puzzlement where both Luisa and Jasmine both seemed to feel bad for her. But just my take. :)

I really also didn't see anything other than just a casual 'thank you' in Jasmine's 'good job, Liz'. And taking into account her earlier conversation with Luisa about Liz, which was on the whole sympathetic, it doesn't really make sense that she'd suddenly be patronising towards Liz.

Got to say, I haven't seen any bitchiness at all from Jasmine, it doesn't seem to be her thing. She seems very laid back and not prone to dwelling on things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No wonder BB is dying when everyone votes for the most boring, irrelevant housemates.

She has no redeeming qualities at all. She is a dull, timid coward who makes a living dragging other people's names through the dirt by writing rubbish about them.
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like her actually. The way she's quite socially awkward and vulnerable is somewhat endearing. And although I don't agree with a lot of them, I admire how she's not afraid to stand up and voice her opinions when it comes to it.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Liz is one of the most genuine people in the house.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are set on being against Liz.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skaface wrote: »
    I must admit I'm liking her too. I'm pleasantly surprised she is coming across nothing like the hard-nosed journo/columnist I was expecting her to be.

I'm now wondering if the 'Liz' who writes her regular Daily Fail column is a kind of alter-ego she's invented to compensate for the fact that she really does appear to be socially awkward and someone who imo is clearly more comfortable and happy around animals than people? I think she looks like a lost soul in that house at times.

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. She has been a very successful journo in the past, especially when she was editor of Marie Claire) but now seems unable to interact with people. I also wonder how damaged she was by her marriage because having read her ex husband's book (in which he based the (loathsome) main character, Puppy, upon himself)if he really treated her as he described she would need years of counselling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the breakfast conversation? All Luisa did IIRC was express genuine surprise that someone who HAD achieved what Liz had (editorship of Marie Claire) and all that goes with a position like that in a fast-paced and very competition industry, could have ended up so ill-at-ease and socially inept. I saw no barbs at all, merely genuine puzzlement where both Luisa and Jasmine both seemed to feel bad for her. But just my take. :)

I really also didn't see anything other than just a casual 'thank you' in Jasmine's 'good job, Liz'. And taking into account her earlier conversation with Luisa about Liz, which was on the whole sympathetic, it doesn't really make sense that she'd suddenly be patronising towards Liz.

Got to say, I haven't seen any bitchiness at all from Jasmine, it doesn't seem to be her thing. She seems very laid back and not prone to dwelling on things.

I didn't see any of the above as you have interpreted it but that's what makes BB so interesting.

I saw it as the two mean but cool girls belittling someone who they could see was a bit vulnerable.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I have been wondering exactly the same thing. She has been a very successful journo in the past, especially when she was editor of Marie Claire) but now seems unable to interact with people. I also wonder how damaged she was by her marriage because having read her ex husband's book (in which he based the (loathsome) main character, Puppy, upon himself)if he really treated her as he described she would need years of counselling.

She's still a very successful journalist - one of the highest paid and highest visibility - but, it would appear, a less successful human being. I think that is what makes her interesting. Unlike many people who are well known and make a lot of money, she is very open about saying how miserable she is, how her relationships are a mess and how she has socially unfashionable views which make her stick out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see any of the above as you have interpreted it but that's what makes BB so interesting.

I saw it as the two mean but cool girls belittling someone who they could see was a bit vulnerable.

Yes me too, Liz obviously did not hear their comments as she is hard of hearing and the looks they gave were rather mocking imo.Luisa is just a bully anyhow and I am surprised that Jasmine has become her sidekick
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's still a very successful journalist - one of the highest paid and highest visibility - but, it would appear, a less successful human being. I think that is what makes her interesting. Unlike many people who are well known and make a lot of money, she is very open about saying how miserable she is, how her relationships are a mess and how she has socially unfashionable views which make her stick out like a sore thumb.

She also eviscerates folk in her ridiculous columns. In all my days I have never ever read anything so self pitying as Liz Jones contributions to the Daily Mail. She wallows in self pity and yet has the temerity to bang on about her run in's with perfectly nice people at supermarket tills etc. For me she is not very likeable, nor did I appreciate her stabbing comment to Evander.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are right - she is still a very successful journalist. Much of her journalism draws on her social ineptitude and I think that a contributary factor in this may well be her marriage as I can't imagine that a high profile editor would have such issues relating to people. I feel that an emotionally abusive relationship may well be at the root of many of her issues. I would be interested to find out if she has always been as she is now.

I expected to have little time and no empathy for her but instead I like her and really hope that the BB experience helps her to cope with life more positively. I may break my rule of never voting and chuck a couple of votes her way... :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Really warming to her especially after watching live feed last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    She has some interesting views which would probably wind me up, but she's certainly not a bad person. She's just really shy which the insensitive people such as Luisa and Jasmine perceive as "rudeness" or "weirdness".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also eviscerates folk in her ridiculous columns. In all my days I have never ever read anything so self pitying as Liz Jones contributions to the Daily Mail. She wallows in self pity and yet has the temerity to bang on about her run in's with perfectly nice people at supermarket tills etc. For me she is not very likeable, nor did I appreciate her stabbing comment to Evander.

Not just ridiculous but so poorly and disjointedly written as well. And yes, no one wallows in self-pity quite like Ms Jones does.

I'm interested to see if she engages in any meaningful way with any of the women in there. All her interaction to date seems to have been with the men, which I find interesting considering they're a bit of a sorry bunch, apart from Ollie. She was all smiles with Jim, full of praise for Lee (Lee!!?) and waxing lyrical about Lionel last night which I found quite... funny... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will admit that I am having a bit of a problem reconciling the Liz I know from her writing with the 'sweet, shy' Liz that's being seen in a sympathetic light in there (it's just not washing) but I genuinely didn't see any bitching directed at her by Jasmine or Luisa to date.

Be interesting to see how Liz is now that she's perked up a bit since being saved last night..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will admit that I am having a bit of a problem reconciling the Liz I know from her writing with the 'sweet, shy' Liz that's being seen in a sympathetic light in there (it's just not washing) but I genuinely didn't see any bitching directed at her by Jasmine or Luisa to date.

Be interesting to see how Liz is now that she's perked up a bit since being saved last night..

That's really confusing me too but I am starting to feel that much of her writing is a form of retaliation for perceived sleights caused by her own paranoia. If she really does receive death threats I can imagine that for someone with such low self esteem it is horrendous.

My opinion of her keeps shifting (which is one of the things that I most enjoy in a good series of BB) but the one thing that stays constant is that she needs a good counsellor / psychiatrist.
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    That's really confusing me too but I am starting to feel that much of her writing is a form of retaliation for perceived sleights caused by her own paranoia. If she really does receive death threats I can imagine that for someone with such low self esteem it is horrendous.

My opinion of her keeps shifting (which is one of the things that I most enjoy in a good series of BB) but the one thing that stays constant is that she needs a good counsellor / psychiatrist.

This is kind of how I feel about Liz, she truly baffles me.

I was delighted that she stayed. A bit of a cliche but "there's so much more to come from her"!
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    I can't warm to her at all. After reading her rubbish witterings the niceness she is radiating isn't washing with me.
    She is likely using the experience as column and book fodder and will rip lumps out of her HMs from the safety of a keyboard at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I'm really liking this series because for once I really don't have any favourites (in fact I'm not even sure I like any of them!) so it's really interesting just to watch the interaction without getting bogged down in supporting/defending any one particular HM.
    This is kind of how I feel about Liz, she truly baffles me.

I was delighted that she stayed. A bit of a cliche but "there's so much more to come from her"!

I hope so, BEL.