Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends on what you actually mean. It's more than possible for Andy (or anybody) to win the hardcourt MS titles and have Rafa clean up on clay. Therefore having 2 people share the MS events

Unless you mean win all the MS events on their own, which no one has ever done

I just meant I can't see him winning enough tournaments to be as consistent as Nadal and Djokovic and how Roger was in the past. He has the ability to win tournaments but I am not sure if I can see him getting the number. 1 spot, especially with guys who are still doing well through the whole year. Would love for him to prove me wrong though :)

Another impressive stat is that Novak has never lost an ATP tournament after winning the first set. At times he has often been a slow starter, so it just shows that the times that he has hit the ground running he is hard to stop. He often seems to have second set dips though!!!
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Just saw the current ATP rankings, wow drastic changes from 3 down ( so happy for Stan and Roger).
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Andy's tweet was indeed an April Fool's Day joke, the BBC fell for it

Me too :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Ha ha!!!:) I did repeat that a few too many times in that post didn't I:D ? I tend to do that!!!!:blush:

P.S Is anyone else's DS clock still wrong. My posts are showing up as an hour behind each time I post.

My DS clock is always wrong. I've long since given up worrying about it or trying to alter it:(
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Which is what I'm scared of! Whether you like her or not, it would be a great shame to see the second-best clay courter on tour out in the 4th round.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself though. We've no idea what'll happen in the clay season yet.

I don't like her and it won't be a shame :p:D

Ah she's great to look at of course but that grunt >:( Her style does nothing for me either, it's effective however

Pretty sure she'll avoid Serena though as she won't be seeded 12-16

She was brutal on clay before, credit for making a marked improvement and going on to become the arguable world #2 on the surface
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is what I'm scared of! Whether you like her or not, it would be a great shame to see the second-best clay courter on tour out in the 4th round.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself though. We've no idea what'll happen in the clay season yet.
    We'll have to wait and see if the RG draw wallahs are merciful. ;-)

My view is that Maria targeted clay as Vika and Serena had her number on hard. Serena also had her number on grass. This was an effective strategy for Maria until Serena paired up with Mouratoglou. He tailored her game for clay and Serena won her second French.
    I just meant I can't see him winning enough tournaments to be as consistent as Nadal and Djokovic and how Roger was in the past. He has the ability to win tournaments but I am not sure if I can see him getting the number. 1 spot, especially with guys who are still doing well through the whole year. Would love for him to prove me wrong though :)

Another impressive stat is that Novak has never lost an ATP tournament after winning the first set. At times he has often been a slow starter, so it just shows that the times that he has hit the ground running he is hard to stop. He often seems to have second set dips though!!!
    :confused:

Do you mean after winning the first set in the tournament? Or the first set in the final?
    Andy's tweet was indeed an April Fool's Day joke, the BBC fell for it

Me too :)
    Told you :p
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I don't like her and it won't be a shame :p:D

Ah she's great to look at of course but that grunt >:( Her style does nothing for me either, it's effective however

Pretty sure she'll avoid Serena though as she won't be seeded 12-16

She was brutal on clay before, credit for making a marked improvement and going on to become the arguable world #2 on the surface
    There are several players that are easier on the eye than Maria (and the ear).

BIB - :confused:

There's no such division as 12-16, it's 9-16. Those who are seeded 9-16 will be on course to face a top 8 seed in R4.

Elsewhere, if you're not in the top 16 seeds it's handy to be no lower than 24th seed. 17-24s get a R3 meeting with the 9-16s, whereas 25-32s get a R3 meeting with the top 8.

I hope that all made sense :cool:
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no such division as 12-16, it's 9-16. Those who are seeded 9-16 will be on course to face a top 8 seed in R4.

No, it's 13-16 ;-).

If you're ranked 1-4 you face 13-16 in the 4th round. You can't face anyone from 9-12.

Ergo like CGG said, Serena is unlikely to play Maria in R4. Possible though if she loses enough points but still unlikely she'll drop that many, Flavia and Domi might catch up to her before RG but that's about it.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did Cepelova manage that?
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Serena said in her interview that she was burnt out. Still a huge win for Cepelova, happy for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always good to see Serena lose :) she is such a good player so it's a shame she is such an unpleasant person, her comments regarding rape still make my blood boil >:(
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    No, it's 13-16 ;-).

If you're ranked 1-4 you face 13-16 in the 4th round. You can't face anyone from 9-12.

Ergo like CGG said, Serena is unlikely to play Maria in R4. Possible though if she loses enough points but still unlikely she'll drop that many, Flavia and Domi might catch up to her before RG but that's about it.
    :o

Checked a couple of GS draws and I stand corrected. My explanation of the other seeds outside the top 16 still stands though :p

So for Maria to fall into 13-16 territory, she'd have to lose a fair few points and Cibulkova, Errani, Pennetta and Ivanovic would all need to make gains. That's a big ask...I'd imagine Errani can't gain many more from clay.

On a sidenote, it's shocking how many upsets there are at the French in recent years, particularly on the women's side. So many of the seeds are toppled early. You wonder why they even bother with seeds at all :kitty:
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Anything is pospisil on green clay.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:

Nah, eye of the beholder though.

Great win for Cepelova, yet another young WTA player with toms of potential, it really should be an exciting few years, Vekic, Puig, Bouchard and Bencic all winning, amongst others.

Maria must wonder why she never gets to play this Serena.....
  • Options
    Forum Member

BIB - :confused:

Elsewhere, if you're not in the top 16 seeds it's handy to be no lower than 24th seed. 17-24s get a R3 meeting with the 9-16s, whereas 25-32s get a R3 meeting with the top 8.

I hope that all made sense :cool:

I used to think the same

I think it was Nathers that corrected me at the time aswell!! :)

Ah Maria is def the hottest player IMO
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is unbeatable. Great win for Cepelova, she took the opportunity head on. I do think we will see a very different year for Serena this year. Hopefully, she can get back on track though.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-Digit-Xx wrote: »
    No one is unbeatable. Great win for Cepelova, she took the opportunity head on. I do think we will see a very different year for Serena this year. Hopefully, she can get back on track though.

I find it quite hard to watch her sometimes. She gets so wound up in matches and seems she really isn't enjoying it. I feel like she should take a chill pill. It's always against herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First set in the final Cherry Choc :)
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are several players that are easier on the eye than Maria

Um, who?! Ivanovic maybe, but that's about it imo.

STOP THE PRESS Sabine wins a match in Charleston :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maria is gorgeous but I would say Kirilenko, Ivanovic, Bouchard and a few others are more attractive to me. Personal opinion and all that jazz.

Like on the men's side I think Nadal is fairly good looking but there are plenty of players much more attractive, though I know deedee would strongly disagree :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bouchard is gorgeous, and she knows it too :D

Sloane lost to Svitolina. It's disappointing that she hasn't shown any signs of improvement under Paul Annacone yet.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maria is gorgeous but I would say Kirilenko, Ivanovic, Bouchard and a few others are more attractive to me. Personal opinion and all that jazz.

Like on the men's side I think Nadal is fairly good looking but there are plenty of players much more attractive, though I know deedee would strongly disagree :p

Good win for Sabine, and you can add her to that list of attractive women's players as well as Laura Robson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence to Sabine but Sharapova, Ivanovic, Kirilenko and Bouchard are in a completely different league to her.

Ana really should win Monterrey this week.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I sure do.:) I would like to know who is more attractive though? someone else said the same last week that there are more male tennis players better looking but I ain't seen then unless I need glasses. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Good win for Sabine, and you can add her to that list of attractive women's players as well as Laura Robson.

Robson is going to be right up there in a year or two imo. Sabine is hot alright no doubt :)
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    I sure do.:) I would like to know who is more attractive though? someone else said the same last week that there are more male tennis players better looking but I ain't seen then unless I need glasses. :D

Verdasco, Fognini, Dimitrov, Paire are by a mile the best looking ATP players- no homo and all that :D

Federer, Lopez scrub up well off court, I'm sure there are more but I only see them on court really

Of course there's loads I don't know what they look like at top of my head
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »

Well for me I would say Fognini, DImitrov, Berdych, Haas, Paire, Gulbis are more attractive and guys like Novak, Stan, Gasquet and Del Potro are no less attractive. But it's just personal opinion isn't it?

People say Andy is unattractive, but it don't think he is at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well for me I would say Fognini, DImitrov, Berdych, Haas, Paire, Gulbis are more attractive and guys like Novak, Stan, Gasquet and Del Potro are no less attractive. But it's just personal opinion isn't it?

People say Andy is unattractive, but it don't think he is at all.

Berdych? :p Na very average imo

Wouldn't have poor Novak near any of these lists. Doubt he cares with his success and the gf he has :D:D
This discussion has been closed.