Options

Meeting people from the internet..

christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
Forum Member
✭✭
Have you ever met someone you met online in real life?

Comments

• Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Yes I've met a few and haven't got murdered yet.
  • Options
    IluvminiskinsIluvminiskins Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - it isn't a good idea imo.

Focus on the real people you do have in your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Yes I've met a few and haven't got murdered yet.

Well that's good to hear :)
    I think I might be meeting someone for a camping trip on camping site and I'm worried. We've been talking for a long time and he's promised he's not a murderer.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I came kinda close, but then chickened out.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I met a girl off this site I used to go on years ago called 'faceparty' :D

I have a lot of friends who swear by meeting random people off facebook, but I don't think I'd have the confidence for that now, unless I'd met them already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's good to hear :)
    I think I might be meeting someone for a camping trip on camping site and I'm worried. We've been talking for a long time and he's promised he's not a murderer.

Just you and him going camping together? :eek:

My online meets haven't lasted longer than an hour in general. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I met a girl off this site I used to go on years ago called 'faceparty' :D

I have a lot of friends who swear by meeting random people off facebook, but I don't think I'd have the confidence for that now, unless I'd met them already.

My sister met her current partner off facebook, they've been together 2years now.

I've met 2 people off the internet for dates, and even though I sort of knew it wouldn't work I still met them,lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just you and him going camping together? :eek:

My online meets haven't lasted longer than an hour in general. ;)

Well it's very near where I live,lol. I'm gonna look like a saddo camping 4miles from home,lol,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't do it!

There's no way I would meet up with a person off the net for the first time to go camping with them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't do it!

There's no way I would meet up with a person off the net for the first time to go camping with them!

I'd never usually do it. but I know where he works, have his facebook and i've googled him,lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My sister met her current partner off facebook, they've been together 2years now.

I've met 2 people off the internet for dates, and even though I sort of knew it wouldn't work I still met them,lol.

Yeah, it didn't work for me either, it was all a bit of a mess :p

I think meeting someone on facebook is better, since most people I know tend to add people they met in a club or something, so they have at least seen them face to face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd never usually do it. but I know where he works, have his facebook and i've googled him,lol.

Are you sleeping in the same tent together?

Can't believe you are doing this?!:eek:
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any harm in it really. If you meet someone in a pub or club for the first time and then go on a date, you don't really know them either. Meeting people on the net, is just s different way of doing that.

If you are young, free and single and confident that the person is ok, then you should be alright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see any harm in it really. If you meet someone in a pub or club for the first time and then go on a date, you don't really know them either. Meeting people on the net, is just s different way of doing that.

If you are young, free and single and confident that the person is ok, then you should be alright.

That's how I see it too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going on a date and going camping pose very different risks though - the latter being more obviously!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree sort of, but I also think when you meet face to face, you are usually out in a group (at least, I am) and you get more of a feel for someone (sometimes literally) :p when you are face to face.

You have none of you instincts over the internet. You could find someone incredibly 'dodgy' in real life for example, but totally fine over the net.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going on a date and going camping pose very different risks though - the latter being more obviously!

I think if I feel threatened in any way all I'll have to do is call my parents who are 10mins away.
    Plus it would be a busy coastal camp site :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree sort of, but I also think when you meet face to face, you are usually out in a group (at least, I am) and you get more of a feel for someone (sometimes literally) :p when you are face to face.

You have none of you instincts over the internet. You could find someone incredibly 'dodgy' in real life for example, but totally fine over the net.

I see that as well. But the amount of people who seem to use internet dating, it must work for some. If I was single, I'd probably be more likely these days, to chat someone up on the net. Obviously, there are risks involved as the person could be a complete fruitloop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon you are still ruddy bonkers for doing this.

If he wants to start singing 'Kum By Yah' around a fire then you know you've got yourself a fruit loop and best get onto that phone to your mother! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon you are still ruddy bonkers for doing this.

If he wants to start singing 'Kum By Yah' around a fire then you know you've got yourself a fruit loop and best get onto that phone to your mother! :D

lol, don't worry :) it might not happen anyway hehe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see that as well. But the amount of people who seem to use internet dating, it must work for some. If I was single, I'd probably be more likely these days, to chat someone up on the net. Obviously, there are risks involved as the person could be a complete fruitloop.

It's not just the risks that bother me- it's not knowing what the hell they are really like!

Even if they are not dodgy, what someone is like on the internet vs real life can be so different!

You could end up being stuck on a date with someone who is incredibly annoying/ dippy :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the risks that bother me- it's not knowing what the hell they are really like!

Even if they are not dodgy, what someone is like on the internet vs real life can be so different!

You could end up being stuck on a date with someone who is incredibly annoying/ dippy :o

You get some idea by reading posts on here who seems genuinely normal and who doesn't. So if you've seen the Facebook pics and conversed online for a while you'll get some idea what the person is like. The worst that can happen is he'll have a Mr Bean type of voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You get some idea by reading posts on here who seems genuinely normal and who doesn't. So if you've seen the Facebook pics and conversed online for a while you'll get some idea what the person is like. The worst that can happen is he'll have a Mr Bean type of voice.

True, and I'd probably get their number and ring them so that'd rule out the dodgy voice thing :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the last seven years, I've met one guy in person as a result of friendship started on the web, as well as had reunions on three separate occasions, with old friends from 15, 30 and 25 years ago, respectively, as a result of getting back in touch through the net.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,687
    Forum Member
    There's a group of 10 of us who have talked on twitter for almost two years and we're all meeting up in May.

Apart from that, I've only done it once. And that was because we were already going to the same club anyway so decided to have a drink together. And my sis used to do it all the time so I met a few of her internet friends.