Get Carter

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On at midnight on itv4. I am staying up to watch it. Classic film, one of the best brit films made and one of Michael Caine's best films

Any fans? :p

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always liked the gritty, working class gangsterism of Get Carter.
    I feel it helps define the standards for British crime thrillers.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're a big man , but you're out of condition.

Alf Roberts of all people.
    and Dave from the Arthur Daley's Winchester Club was in it as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Do you want to go to the toilet Albert?'
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    This is one of those films I can't not watch. As soon as I hear Roy Budd's plaintive harpsichord theme I'm hooked, and then it's the credits - dum-da-da-da-dum, and we're off...
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    This is one of those films I can't not watch. As soon as I hear Roy Budd's plaintive harpsichord theme I'm hooked, and then it's the credits - dum-da-da-da-dum, and we're off...

Stonking film.:D

I recommended it to an American friend years ago and he was staggered at just how bleak it was.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great film. I had the privilege of seeing it at the cinema about a decade ago. Wish they'd screen more old films.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Said better than I could.

I've repeatedly borrowed this line from GC whenever I'm dealing with an awkward situation or person:

"I'm going to sit in a car and whistle 'Rule Britannia'."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    The scenes with Ian Hendry at the race meeting , and then the card school at John Osbornes are just two of many , which achieve a kind of Cinematic genius in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    The scenes with Ian Hendry at the race meeting , and then the card school at John Osbornes are just two of many , which achieve a kind of Cinematic genius in my view.

There are many great scenes but the one that always stands out in my mind is Carter going to the betting shop to talk to Albert
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Incomparable recently watched and discussed this as part of their Old Movie Club (and made a few digs at the remake).
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    'Do you want to go to the toilet Albert?'

"Do you want to be dead....Albert?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, Roy Budd wrote a classic soundtrack to a classic film.
    My favourite music is near the end at the mansion where the music goes all melancholic and psychedelic.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent film only real flaw is Michael Caine's character having a London accent when he is supposed to of been raised in the North East.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Excellent film only real flaw is Michael Caine's character having a London accent when he is supposed to of been raised in the North East.

Not at all.

One of the film's points is that Caine's character had become completely disassociated from his roots. He's gone 'darn sarf' and a big theme of the film is him going back to the North East, that he thought he had left behind, to confront his past.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    It's one of my favourite films, even though this sort of thriller is completely different from the type of film I normally like.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    A ground-breaking classic film, but looking back now it's hard not to wince a bit at the bleak misogyny on display. But I guess it's simply a child of its time.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite films, even though this sort of thriller is completely different from the type of film I normally like.

I know what you mean. It has a unique sort of feeling about it which makes it really stand out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrific film this, I've recommended it loads of times to friends. It really is a must-see classic.

The less said about the god-awful remake with Sly Stallone, the better.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Absolutely classic

As Heston Veeton said.. As soon as I hear that excellent music score played over Caine traveling north on the train I'm hooked and have to watch to the bitter inevitable end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that Ian Hendry's character Eric was such an uncharismatic person that he kept saying "I see you've still got your sense of humour" to Jack, as though he thought he was funny, but really didn't have the wit to say anything else.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The Guv'nor at his very best.

Also, my favourite soundtrack ever, Only thing that comes near Roy Budd's masterpiece is anything by John Barry.

A real 10/10 film - I've seen it literally dozens of times, but still have to watch it every times it's shown.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bleak, brutal and brilliant masterpiece.

And I got the DVD for a quid which was a bargain to say the least. :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not forgetting the immortal "Do you know, I had almost forgotten what your eyes look like. They're still the same – piss-holes in the snow".
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guv'nor at his very best.

Also, my favourite soundtrack ever, Only thing that comes near Roy Budd's masterpiece is anything by John Barry.

I don`t think Roy Budd could`ve written a bad piece of music if he tried. Even his soundtrack to the abysmal Who Dares Wins is bloody marvellous! Taken from the world far too young.

Used to know Mike Hodges, director of Get Carter. A lovely man with anecdotes aplenty. Check out his neglected masterpiece, The Terminal Man to see Get Carter was no one-off.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why this classic hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet especially it was 40 years old in 2011!