Now it is 7 fruit and veg a day !!!

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

Current research suggests that eating 5 fruit and veg a day is not enough now they believe we have to eat 7 a day. That is 7 portions of 80g of veg a day which to me seems a lot of food let alone a lot of veg. What sort of meals are these people eating that they are consuming 500g of veg a day. I don't think I could actually eat that much unless all I did eat was just fruit and veg.

I struggle to cope with 5 a day if I am honest I don't even do that everyday. Maybe a bit of fruit in the morning, then one at lunch time and veg with the evening meal which is normally two different veg.

Anyone else in the same boat here ?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly likely to be an April Fool ..
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably get 2 a day at most - I'm doomed. :(
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe any news stories on the 1/4 :D
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it was first touted in the 50's by a governor in america who's friends and family all owned farmland the suggested amount was 9 a day but they didn't think anyone would eat that much :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year the news revealed that scientists said that the 5 a day thing we'd been told to stick to for many years was nonsense.

They blame the public for not being educated when it comes to food and health, but what do they expect when the news itself throws out conflicting messages left, right and centre?
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's important for us to become herbivores because then our manure can be used as fertilizer.

That said,
    article wrote:
    A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die - at any age.
    it rather misses the point that as time goes on, the probability of death has been frequently observed to have a distinct tendency to head towards the general direction of 100%.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you are right :( but the two doctors listed do actually exist so they have gone to a lot of effort to fake this.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the food industry championed by the World Health Organisation which has pushed the "x amount a day" globally, they based the numbers on what they thought people in various countries would be prepared to eat, IN Japan its something like 12 a day. Now we are used to the 5 a day thing, they want us to spend even more money on food, so come up with 7 a day. In 5 years time it will be 9 a day.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I barely eat 1 a day!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a ploy to boost the sales of loo roll.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Apparently butter is better now than those sunflower spreads, LOL!

Really, just eat what you want and enjoy it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was released on the 31st and they are being quite serious, the study is from UCL and they actually recommend 10 portions per day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10735633/Healthy-diet-means-10-portions-of-fruit-and-vegetables-per-day-not-five.html

Warwick Uni say 7 in their study from last year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently butter is better now than those sunflower spreads, LOL!

Really, just eat what you want and enjoy it.

Personally I have always stuck with butter, to me its more natural and therefore should be better than some of those spreads around. As they say a little of what you fancy does you good and its all about common sense , nothing wrong with fish and chips , a burger or some chocolate and the odd fizzy drink , as long as it occasionally in a normal portion and not huge amounts every day and that is the basis of your actual diet.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what should we believe?...

The researchers who the media quoted last year, or the latest doom and gloom merchants?.

Frankly I have always thought that these researchers are simply spouting what their paymasters want, as everyone of a certain age will remember the butter/margarine "war" of words in the 70's. I haven't trusted the "facts" since.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay seems like it is true but here is the same story in the express but that was published 27th Sept 2013.

Even the same amounts of fruit and veg so it must be the same report. Is some else copying the report do you think or are the news media just recycling old stories for the fun of it now ?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/432492/Forget-the-five-a-day-servings-of-fruit-and-veg-now-you-need-seven-to-be-healthy
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Personally I have always stuck with butter, to me its more natural and therefore should be better than some of those spreads around. Aas they say a little of what you fancy does you good and its all about common sense , nothing wrong with fish and chips , a burger or some chocolate and the odd fizzy drink , as long as it occasionally in a normal portion and not huge amounts every day and that is the basis of your actual diet.

Nicely put skp.

BiB. Reading your post, I could hear the voice of my mum telling me the same thing many, many moons ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's important for us to become herbivores because then our manure can be used as fertilizer.

That said,
    it rather misses the point that as time goes on, the probability of death has been frequently observed to have a distinct tendency to head towards the general direction of 100%.

Indeed :D you would think a Uni study might choose their wording a little better
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about all the sugars if you choose Banana, Apple, Orange, Peach, Grapes, etc?
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    What about all the sugars if you choose Banana, Apple, Orange, Peach, Grapes, etc?

I don't think the people who come out with these recommendations have realised that you can get fat if you eat too much fruit.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    listening to LBC right now and they are talking about this , my first thought was April fools because the presenter went from 7 to 10 portions of fruit/veg a day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »

They are bad for us as well (to an extent )

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/07/smoothies-fruit-juices-new-health-risk

and apparently coffee may be better for you than a smoothie and you may be less likely to top yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24621394

I am of the opinion they will not be happy until we pop out of the womb and spend the rest of our lives in a plastic bubble fed by tube, that is when they can agree on what's healthy to feed us through that tube.

spookyLX wrote: »
    listening to LBC right now and they are talking about this , my first thought was April fools because the presenter went from 7 to 10 portions of fruit/veg a day

I did at first and then checked and the UCL study starts off with 10 and then mentions at least 7
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Indeed :D you would think a Uni study might choose their wording a little better

"A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die - at any age.

"Seven a day" cut death risk by 42%, "five a day" by 29%, it indicated."

Sounds very impressive but I wonder what the risk of death is a day. Then you have to factor in only death that could be saved by fruit and veg based intake. 7 Portions a day will not save you if you fall down the stairs or have a car accident. If the risk of death is like 0.00001 a day then even 42% improvement makes bugger all difference.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont have room for all that broccoli. cant they just put the entire daily requirement into one easy to insert suppository ? so i dont have to taste it ......
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    "A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die - at any age.

"Seven a day" cut death risk by 42%, "five a day" by 29%, it indicated."

Sounds very impressive but I wonder what the risk of death is a day. Then you have to factor in only death that could be saved by fruit and veg based intake. 7 Portions a day will not save you if you fall down the stairs or have a car accident. If the risk of death is like 0.00001 a day then even 42% improvement makes bugger all difference.

Observational studies are good for headlines but I wouldn't base my life on them because they have a tendency to be misinterpreted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i dont have room for all that broccoli. cant they just put the entire daily requirement into one easy to insert suppository ? so i dont have to taste it ......

That sounds like one bloody big suppository ! ouch :o