The Chase and Bargain Hunt

Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've not seen this much on any other quiz show but why - on "The Chase" - does the contestant start the cash builder round without glasses and then put them on in the next stage. I know that some people need to do this for reading but the numbers doing it on this show seem out of proportion? Very few contestant seem to be glasses wearers at the beginning.

Second question - why does this p*ss me off?

Now Bargain bl**dy Hunt. Why do the tw*ts on this show go on about buying something they like?
It doesn't matter a damn if they like it or not - to sell the item at a profit is the aim of the game!

Rant over.

I feel better for that.

Afternoon telly - never watch it! :)

I really must get out more!

Comments

• hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think there was a point to bargain hunt. Just buy a load of crap and then laugh about the loss you've made. That stupid kick they do at the end is pretty pointless too.

BBC afternoon with that and doctors is enough to send anyone crazy. There's some very weird story lines on that show.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd make some new Bargain Hunts, as they've been showing the same ones every day for years now, and i agree about just buying stuff they like, theres no point at all in that, as they are just selling them on, so why care if you like it or not :p
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    Now Bargain bl**dy Hunt. Why do the tw*ts on this show go on about buying something they like?
    It doesn't matter a damn if they like it or not - to sell the item at a profit is the aim of the game!

Rant over.

I feel better for that.

Contestants think that f they like the item, others might well do as well. Sometimes they are right.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    I've not seen this much on any other quiz show but why - on "The Chase" - does the contestant start the cash builder round without glasses and then put them on in the next stage.

Because they need to read a screen of answers in the next bit?
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they making any new Bargain Hunts? That lovely Mr Barbie still pops up a lot,and he's bean dead about two years now.I'd watch it again if they stopped showing so many repeats.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    We run a minimalist sort of home and so programmes like like this, to me just bargain in crap or rubbish. Admittedly someone may pick up something with real value but that's seldom.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Are they making any new Bargain Hunts? That lovely Mr Barbie still pops up a lot,and he's bean dead about two years now.I'd watch it again if they stopped showing so many repeats.

Yes of course they are, they were at Hansons a few of weeks ago filming a couple of episodes.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Yes of course they are, they were at Hansons a few of weeks ago filming a couple of episodes.

Good,thanks for that info
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    When you are a contestant on the Chase they show the questions on a screen, to the right of the chaser. The screen for the chaser to see the question is on the wall high up behind where the contestants sit. I kept my glasses on the whole time because I needed them, some people just put them on during their chase. :)
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member

I think they rotate New and repeats, like repeats on Tuesday and Thursday and new ones Monday, Wednesday, Friday or something like that?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

Rant over.

I feel better for that.

I agree with your Bargain Hunt rant. It wouldn't be so bad if the show was on ITV but they buy this crap out of our licence money!!!! I think when they lose on a 'bargain' they should have to pay the difference themselves - that'd sort the men from the boys!

Also - it stands to reason that 99% of the time (unless they have a seller who doesn't know the value of what he's got) if you buy an item at a craft fair or at an antiques shop then it is BOUND to lose money when it goes to auction.

My rant over! LOL!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago I had a leg injury that kept me off school for a week and meant I couldn't be very mobile. I spent most of the time watching things I downloaded, but I don't really like doing that - a combination of being fussy about what I watch, low attention span, and the feeling of no-one to "share the experience" (bleurgh) with, made me crave watching "normal" TV. So one day, I did.

Let me tell you I've never wanted to get back to school quicker.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rant over.

I feel better for that.

The whole concept is flawed because they are effectively buying retail and selling wholesale. >:(>:(>:(

Or because Bargain Hunt isn't particularly competitive.
    Most of the contestants want to have a laugh and have some fun more than they want to win. Plus any money won or lost is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things.
    Also buying something potentially vaguely interesting, unusual or stupid (so the auctioneer can lay into it) probably makes for better TV than people who know what their talking about buying something boring solely because they think it will make a profit.
    I think you're missing the point of the show :)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with your Bargain Hunt rant. It wouldn't be so bad if the show was on ITV but they buy this crap out of our licence money!!!! I think when they lose on a 'bargain' they should have to pay the difference themselves - that'd sort the men from the boys!
    !

It is still a very cheap programme to make, £600 spending money is chicken feed compared to the thousands it costs to make other programmes, and they still get some of that back because the contestant only gets the profit not the full cost.
    I asked one of the contestants recently if they are allowed to keep the fleeces and he said yes they are, so that is all that they get "paid".
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole concept is flawed because they are effectively buying retail and selling wholesale.

Try telling that to the couple that won over £400 a few weeks ago.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they've shown 34 new editions so far in 2014. :) There were 123 new ones last year, and 64 new ones in 2012. :)
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new series today with new rules! 2 bargain buys each.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Contestants think that f they like the item, others might well do as well. Sometimes they are right.

When I was on it we didn't get to choose what we liked, primarily. There's a very limited amount of time to go round the fair and we were given a list of stuff that we shouldn't buy. I wanted to buy some silver and/or furniture but were directed towards buying nick-nacks and curios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    A new series today with new rules! 2 bargain buys each.
    It's a short series of ten editions. The next new one is on Wednesday. Not sure if it's an experiment for a full time format change, or just a way to fill a gap before the next full series.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a short series of ten editions. The next new one is on Wednesday. Not sure if it's an experiment for a full time format change, or just a way to fill a gap before the next full series.

No Tuesday was another new one.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to win BH then go to Great Western as Anita Manning always seems to get the best prices . No messing around with increases of £1 or £5 - she racks up the prices in multiples of £10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    No Tuesday was another new one.
    Yes, they swapped it at the last moment, and showed the repeat today instead. No idea why they did that. Bad manners to show a programme 24 hours early!