Options

Alex - 1 Year break

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Any artist should be allowed to time to develop if they want. I think she's taken a very smart move by waiting 6 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen of Angst writes her first album living in the lap of luxury whilst being fawned all over by every personality the BBC can drum up?
  • Options
    EddyBeeEddyBee Posts: 45,607
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by ImdurC
    Any artist should be allowed to time to develop if they want. I think she's taken a very smart move by waiting 6 months.

That's fine. She should have entered the FA next year, if she wasn't good enough.

PS - Welcome to the Forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lot are really funny - two days ago you were predicting that she was doomed because Polydor were going to make her rush out an album and she'd lose all 'credibility'. Now you pick her to pieces because they've decided to wait and make the best record possible. Make your minds up! Or is it just the bitter taste of resentment that I detect here? Get over it. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by lisbeth
    You lot are really funny - two days ago you were predicting that she was doomed because Polydor were going to make her rush out an album and she'd lose all 'credibility'. Now you pick her to pieces because they've decided to wait and make the best record possible. Make your minds up! Or is it just the bitter taste of resentment that I detect here? Get over it. :D

Your right, It takes time to "manufacture" an artist !!
  • Options
    NichoNicho Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she waits six months there's a good chance a large number of her voters will have forgotten the hype and spin surrounding her, and I'm not sure there'll be much left to get excited about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Nicho
    If she waits six months there's a good chance a large number of her voters will have forgotten the hype and spin surrounding her, and I'm not sure there'll be much left to get excited about.

It seems most of the hype started on this forum, before they'd even heard her, and went into overdrive when they 1st heard her. Me included, thought she was fantastic, she has the voice and talent to carry through, because the hype wasn't based round the show but her, even the stuffy Telegraph critic, thinks she's got something special!

and I remember writing my 1st thread on her, asking if she was Male or Female!! :D:o
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by lisbeth

Thank goodness I never said anything so rash.......I can be quite smug about her needing extensive work in order to knock out a record.....Makes you wonder why they promoted her so heavily......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    "I can be quite smug about her needing extensive work in order to knock out a record.....Makes you wonder why they promoted her so heavily......"

This kind of comment on Alex is strange. Don't they realise that ALL artists do the same thing? Not exactly the same, but follow a similar path towards what they want/need to do.

Not everyone can walk into a studio and bash out some tunes. I'm not surprised that she needs help because this is what happens to practically every new and serious artist. They're given guidance on what to do with their songs and their knowledge. People are drafted in to help.

Who here is a musician and also understands how a record is put together from ideas to final product? I am. And I can guarantee you that she's doing nothing out of the ordinary. And certainly not something to be ashamed of.

Adam.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by misterpartridge
    Well, I never argued that! I've been saying for a while she should take some time.

And plenty of artists take six months off to write an album. That's much more common - and sensible - than rushing something off in a month.

Were you?

Really?

Who were you arguing against?

So you will admit that Alex indeed was overhyped to such an extent, that her hype exceeded her current ability.
    And when it was suggested that some people were believing the hype,..it was fair to say that those people were looking through rose-tinted spectacles, and their hopes were extremely unrealistic, deluded pipe dreams.

So she is far from being the finished article...She hasn't already got some songs?

I was led to believe that she was full of passion and angst....So that isn't actually true then,..is it?
    If she was,..she would have written about her feelings of pain and despair,...wouldn't she???
    She would be able to show that she is a credible artist.

I suppose in 6 months time she will be able to find this angst from somewhere...She's the Queen of it,.haven't you heard?
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by ImdurC

This kind of comment on Alex is strange. Don't they realise that ALL artists do the same thing? Not exactly the same, but follow a similar path towards what they want/need to do.

Not everyone can walk into a studio and bash out some tunes. I'm not surprised that she needs help because this is what happens to practically every new and serious artist. They're given guidance on what to do with their songs and their knowledge. People are drafted in to help.

Who here is a musician and also understands how a record is put together from ideas to final product? I am. And I can guarantee you that she's doing nothing out of the ordinary. And certainly not something to be ashamed of.

Adam.

Strange you say.......I'm any number of new artists do do a bit of work...Alex on the other hand is the winner of a TV relaity show with a music theme.....sold heavily to the public as a finished product and as near to perfection as we could hope...In fact a lot of emphasis on the show is on song writing, which we now discover she can't actually do.......If she wasn't up to it, to the extent she needs 6 to 12 months of work then I don't think what i said was very strange at all........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Polydor weren't bothered about Alex, they would use her as a quick money spinner, off the back of FA2, it shows that they are genuinelly excited by her, by putting in the money and commitment to her on a long term period, to make sure they get the best out of her, I'm sure it was the same with the likes of Dido, etc, just this is the 1st time this type of Artist has been discovered through this way. In any other circumstance when these Artists emerge, we think they are new, but they have probably been working with the record company, quite a time beforehand, without us knowing of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by steveuk
    If Polydor weren't bothered about Alex, they would use her as a quick money spinner, off the back of FA2.

Yep, which is what half of the people on this thread were trying to claim a couple of days ago (and are now doing a rapid about-turn)! And no, I disgree with a the people who have said that FA is about the presenting the finished article to the public. That is precisely what separates FA from Pop Idol. Pop Idol expects the finished article, FA are looking for potential. Which the majority of the public and (the vast majority of the industry) has spotted - fantastic talent and potential. She's just turned 19 - you expect her to be the finished article, ready to insert into the studio and churn out an album in 4 weeks? Well you may be disappointed (although of course you aren't, you're just looking for the opportunity to have a pop at her), but her supporters are chuffed to bits. I'll leave you to your bitching.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Alrightmate
    I was led to believe that she was full of passion and angst....So that isn't actually true then,..is it?
    If she was,..she would have written about her feelings of pain and despair,...wouldn't she???
    She would be able to show that she is a credible artist.

That does seem to be the BS we have been being fed with for the last 10 weeks: she's already there!

Why does she need such a long time to do something original: maybe she needs someone to write the script so she can learn her part.

She's already as good ... why does she need to wait?

At least waiting puts off the dreadful moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe a bad example, but whatabout Artists who take a long break, thinking they had gone, but come bouncing back, bigger and better than ever. I might be shooting myself in the foot with this example but Christina Aguilera? she was bubblegum pop, then took ages to write a "proper" album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *dances to her music*

Will and gareth didn't release CDs straight away....it was baout 4months I think :confused:
  • Options
    misterpartridgemisterpartridge Posts: 3,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you?

Really?

Who were you arguing against?

About what, exactly? :confused:

I was just saying that *I*, for one, have never said Alex was going to save themusic industry. I've had quite a few critical things to say about her, if you've read my posts.

So you will admit that Alex indeed was overhyped to such an extent, that her hype exceeded her current ability.

Was it Carrie who said she was going to save the music industry? If so, yes, I think that's hype. I think she might turn out to be very good, though. :)

And when it was suggested that some people were believing the hype,..it was fair to say that those people were looking through rose-tinted spectacles, and their hopes were extremely unrealistic, deluded pipe dreams.

Uh, no. Now you're leaping. I believe Alex has a lot of potential - I don't believe the comment that she's going to save the industry.

You can see how there's some nuance there, yeah?

So she is far from being the finished article...She hasn't already got some songs?

But I've never believed or stated she was the finished article. I don't agree with anyone who thinks she is. I haven't read many claims here that she is, either, but perhaps I missed them. Can you show me some?

What does that have to do with the price of fish? She's full of passion, some angst, yes, but also plenty of other emotions. None of that means she has an album ready, or should have an album ready in a month. Chris Martin can write songs - but he doesn't put together an album of material in a few weeks, does he? Does that mean he can't write songs, then? No, even a child of nine could see the fallacy in that argument. Writing great music takes time.

Yes, and she has. She's written about lots of things. She needs to go away and hone some of it, and write some more stuff, and hone that, until she has a great album. Nobody - least of all me - has ever claimed that Alex had already written a great album.

If they did, they were wrong. But did they?

Thought not.

I suppose in 6 months time she will be able to find this angst from somewhere...She's the Queen of it,.haven't you heard?

Yes, I've heard that comment from Carrie. I don't agree with it, though.

I wish there was an emoticon to express the level of frustration these kind of tedious, aggressive, poorly argued, purblind and frankly chickenstew maggot-trough posts provoke in me.

Leave your spite at the door, please. Hating reality TV contestants is so last season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL lovely and pedantic misterpartidge :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Bro
    LOL lovely and pedantic misterpartidge :D

It's unfortunate that some people force you to be so bloody pedantic! But good post Mr. P. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hating reality TV contestants is so last season.

So true.

This year it's hating the people who place reality TV contestants on a pedestal.:D

Alicia
  • Options
    littlescotlittlescot Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    maybe a bad example, but whatabout Artists who take a long break, thinking they had gone, but come bouncing back, bigger and better than ever. I might be shooting myself in the foot with this example but Christina Aguilera? she was bubblegum pop, then took ages to write a "proper" album.

Yeah, it does work with some Artists but Alex hasnt even produced a single yet.

I blame Carrie, Richard and the powers-at-be for over exagerating Alex's talent and readyness. Sadly, she may be the only one to end up paying for it. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Al the Cynic
    So true.

This year it's hating the people who place reality TV contestants on a pedestal.:D

No, this year it's having the balls to admit that a reality TV contestant has talent.

Hate is a bit like lime green - it's sometimes in fashion, but never in style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its serious journalists too though! not just Carrie etc, the most critical of these types of shows.

Telegraph: The Reluctant Pop Star

Good Article, bit high brow for me though! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Article, bit high brow for me though! :o:D

Which bits didn't you understand? ;)

Good article, if a bit up its own arse. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, this year it's having the balls to admit that a reality TV contestant has talent.

Hate is a bit like lime green - it's sometimes in fashion, but never in style.

Personally I prefer the honesty that says it as it is: not how it should be.

"Alex may have potential: she does not yet have real talent."

As to hate: read it how you like as far as I'm concerned.
    I hate George W Bush but I cna't bring myself to hate anyone on this forum. Laughing at is the strongest I get to ...