Isn't the Welsh anthem wonderful - we need more Welsh golds!

MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
Forum Member
Just saw the Welsh anthem played in the gymnastics arena - what a powerful arrangement of a great anthem.

So much better than those dirges Flower of Scotland (so co-dependent) and Jerusalem.

Shame we can't make it the British anthem!:D

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's great !.......:D
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it? I was expecting Bread of Heaven!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

IT's called 'Mae Hen Wlad'.........apologies to our Welsh pals if I've spelt that wrong !
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,226
    Forum Member
    No argument from me.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything is better than Flower Of Braveheart.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »

FOS is the co dependents national anthem - having to define yourself as a nation by a battle fought 700 years ago against your neighbours who you subsequently linked up with to create an empire covering a quarter of the globe seems a little unfortunate. Its such a dirge too

Why does England have an anthem named after the capital of Israel and Palestine?

What was wrong with Scotland the brave and Land of hope and glory - they were at least catchy and triumphal!:D

No Land of our fathers wins out big time!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    FOS is the co dependents national anthem - having to define yourself as a nation by a battle fought 700 years ago against your neighbours who you subsequently linked up with to create an empire covering a quarter of the globe seems a little unfortunate. Its such a dirge too

Why does England have an anthem named after the capital of Israel and Palestine?

What was wrong with Scotland the brave and Land of hope and glory - they were at least catchy and triumphal!:D

No Land of our fathers wins out big time!

I think Flower of Scotland could be improved with a couple of changes in the harmonics, in the way the Welsh anthem has been brilliantly arranged.

Jerusalem is of course the New Jerusalem of the second coming not the big City in Israel/Palestine. And it is a great tune as well.

Just waiting to hear 'Danny Boy' and what sort of arrangement they have come up with!
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Flower of Scotland is a fantastic anthem. It always puts a tear in my eye when it's played and i'm not even Scottish, I'm Welsh!...and of course the Welsh anthem is best, but FOS is not far behind....it's full of hwyl :D
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
    English Translation, Land of my fathers... it's the official welsh national anthem, and has been since 1905